Nugget Shooter Forums
Relichunter2

Why not try a DD Coil for some luck

So it's 9:30 Pacific Time....Location : Motherlode. As I sit at the computer contemplating going to sleep and just saying Happy New Years to my forum friends because I for one have not stayed up till 12 in some 24 years I had this thought about dd coils. Yeah , I know.... :idunno: you ask Why the Heck would I think :89: of such things...Well it's a funny thing, as I recall back I would say my largest nuggets were all found with a dd coil. It's been a year since I found my bigger few with a 11" dd Minelab, than I read how most pros would never bother and only use MONO....so I figured okey if its good for them, its good for me. Time past and I found gold with MONO coils. Time past and the gold came not so frequent, than I looked at my dd coils gathering dust and had memories of my largest nuggs were found with a dd coil. So just for kicks I went and did it...I put on the small elliptical 10x5 and instantily within 5 minutes a hit a nugg. The following week, I slapped on the Minelab 11" dd, by gosh...another one !! Maybe its just coincidence, I mean..a Mono would have found them...but I just wonder....whats in those dd coils....So my New years resolution is to use the DD coils more often and see how it goes....Happy New Years to you all, I am going to bed. :putertired:

Fred

• Like 2

As I have been told recently, anything different in the way of a signal hitting a target may let you find it. Even taking a non-gold machine and hunting with it amongst the iron trash may get you a bigger nugget. I'm going to follow your advice and use the DD more in the new year.

0650 day one of the new 2015. First cup of coffee sure felt good after all the noise of last night and finally some sleep.

I've been using DD coils for many years as my "go to coil of choice".

With a mono coil that's all you have, a mono coil.

With a DD you have four coils. First a DD that runs much quieter over all ground, less EMI's and a blade pattern entering the ground instead of a cone shaped pattern.

On Minelab GPX machines with the flip of the coil switch you then have a mono on the left half of the coil. Very good for pinpointing.

Flip that switch down to cancel and out goes the noise from electrical interference and noisy ground. This is just one way to do that, there are other ways also.

With a DD you can use the descriminator, if you want to lose little nuggets.

Out of my 11 coils only three are mono.

Ok have to cut this short since I have to be at my girlfriends house in 30 minutes for home made cheese bread!

Have a golden 2015!

Garimpo,

That's true I think the DD coil has many benefits that many of us just don't give them a chance and go straight to the Mono,

thinking DEEP and Large nuggets. But I have found that the largest nuggets I have found were with the dd and not mono

coils. They are much quieter and help in hearing those faint sounds. Also the ability to disc in heavy trash areas until you find

the first nugget, I would than usually switch to a mono and dig everything! I also found using the dd coils in the last few weeks

that they do not miss the small stuff.I was picking up on tiny iron targets that hardly register on a scale..I have tried the cancel

mode a few times when i was under power lines, but I did find it pretty much canceled out Everything :cry2: including metal targets

under my coil. Sooooo, it looks I will be adding another coil to my collection, a larger dd than the 11" commander. Last year I

added a sadie , a 20" inch N.F., a 17x11 N.F. E and a 14" coiltek. Now I have to just research a good all around dd for a bit more

dept. Hope 2015 brings health and fortune to you all !

My hopes for everyone here is that this is your best year yet but not your best year ever.

R H 2- Please stop reveling my closely held secrets

I have spent most of my life around chainsaws, heavy equipment and my wife so I have poor hearing. I need a threshold tone to be as smooth as possible so I use a DD a lot of the time. Some times I will start the day with a mono then when I get tired and lazy (I'm always lazy) I will switch to a DD so that my addled brain doesn't have to sort through a bunch of noise.

With the GPX 5000 I can fiddle with it and get it to calm down in more places than the previous models so I find myself using a mono coil more often. If I could only have one coil it would be an 11" DD.

• Like 1

My favorite that I swing when the vegatition allows it is a Coiletk 19" Rd DD water proof. Been out of production for years. I know for a fact it will hit on 1 grammers.

Klunker...

I know the feeling.....I did not mean to divulge to much information..:)..I still think experience beats all...and mastering the detector. But that 11" inch stock cool has produced for me in the past, suppose the guilt has been eating at me using monos for a year, and that dd siting in the corner whimpering...." please give me another try " and so I did and I saw yellow :ROFL: ....so she will stay on for a while.

Garimpo,

Thanks for the tip on the 19" Coiltek Rd, if I cant find one, whats second to that one? I swing that 20" inch Mono here and there, I am just thinking perhaps maybe a middle size? Maybe a 14"-18' dd.

RH, was cruising some you tube and saw your metal detecting video. Very cool stories about the relics found, the metal can and the mason jar.

Fact: DD coils can (NOT ALL) run quieter then a Mono.

Fact: DD Coils Feid is like a Paint Brush and Not A Cone.

Fact: DD Coils do NOT go as deep and a Mono.

RH2 check with Coiltek since their the only ones still making DD's. I hear there's a new company making coils and I think their called Detech.

The Coiltek 19" rd. DD has been out of production for many years and I doubt you'll be able to find one. They were good coils and potted to make them waterproof.

Homey I haven't found a mono yet that will run quieter than a DD.

We're in agreement on the shape of the signal......blade (paint brush) for the DD and cone for the mono.

With a DD you lose about 5% on depth. But it's also possible to run with a lot more gain with a DD so maybe it's possible no lose of depth.

The narrow DD coil on my old GTA 1000 kept finding the tiniest lead split sinkers at the beach.....I mean hardly the size of a BB. You have to use all metal mode, no ding-dong audio, but plain threshold audio and adjust it up a little. The narrow 10" DD eliptical coil would consistently pull them up from the sand. When the DD coil is narrow enough, it makes a long deep edge of detection that you need for small stuff. The old GTA 1000 wasn't known for depth, soon Garrett came out with more than 25% deeper GTA models.

• Like 1

Oakview2,

Yeah, I was asked by the Mariposa Gem & Mineral Club to be a guest speaker at their annual Gem Show at the California Mineral Museum. So that was my first attempt at something like that....basically I winged it....lol.That sleeved mason jar was found by a friend of mine here in Mariposa many, many years ago...he took the gold and gave me the jar....:)

Garimpo,

Yes I am familiar with Detech...I had the opportunity to test them out about a year ago, but only tested the Mono coils. I have to say

they run very , very quite. Rege, back East is the distributor and a very nice fella....I was just on their site and I am considering the 14" at the moment.

Homey,

Yeah, I get what your saying that's why I have been using Monos in the past year...but for me right now I am gona make it a point

to use them and not just toss em in the corner. The fact is, for some reason they produce Nuggs :) thats why I said Try a DD coil for some Luck, :yesss:. That 11' commander dd even when bumped, stayed silent...and very smooth threshold..for me its easier to hear the faint target.

the large Commander elliptical DD is an excellent coil though heavy. If you go shopping for one MAKE SURE THE DEALER STANDS BEHIND THE WARRANTY. I've seen a couple of them fail.

• Like 1

I have wanted to stop by your shop sometime, but always in a hurry when headed to Groveland. I did meet one of your neighbors over on Aqua Fria when I stopped one day to look at a 4 inch Proline. Very nice guy that invented the Rokon two wheel drive bike. I can't remember his name, but last I spoke to him he was planning on selling his place and moving down south. For your first foray into public speaking I thought you did quite well. Good health and good hunting.....

Oakview,

Glad you did not say you stopped by and I was closed....lol .typically I come in around 2 p.m. and stay open till 5. I have this contagious fever....called nuggethunting....so I am usually out and about.....detecting. Your talking about Orla Larsen, yes I live two houses down from him. I know he had that 4" inch proline he was gona sell. He sold the house and moved to Palm Springs....he was a hoot, him and his Rokon and adventures. I hope I am still kicking at this age...that was one active dude.

Best gold I have found was with a DD coil. If it aint broke, well you know! Grubstake

post-291-0-50487900-1420163979_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Orla, couldn't remember the name. Had his card but lost it and couldn't for the life of me remember his name. Not a bad dredge, but was looking for the 6.25 honda instead of the 5hp.

Oakview,

Glad you did not say you stopped by and I was closed....lol .typically I come in around 2 p.m. and stay open till 5. I have this contagious fever....called nuggethunting....so I am usually out and about.....detecting. Your talking about Orla Larsen, yes I live two houses down from him. I know he had that 4" inch proline he was gona sell. He sold the house and moved to Palm Springs....he was a hoot, him and his Rokon and adventures. I hope I am still kicking at this age...that was one active dude.

Gary,

That is a Biggie....what was the weight of it? Oakview, Proline dredges are one of the best out on the market, as I recall Orla was not asking much for it. I had a Kenne 4" with a Honda 5.5 h.p. engine and it ran fine, sold it after the BAN....

I needed a 6.5 so I could run a two stage compressor, the 5.5 just did not quite have enough ummmmmffff. But he had lots of extras, Lots of hose, a fixed, a swivel and suction nozzle. He was a very entertaining guy, and I enjoyed here his stories of Aqua Fria and the Rokon and all its adventures...

17.4 dwt Fred. Grubstake

Fred, What name are you under on Utube?

Hey Wes,

Just type in Fred Radonic or Gold Rush Trading Post..you should be able to see two videos....I think it was Sierra Sun Times that taped it. Remember ....I winged it.... :89: Its like there is soo much information to cover about detecting and you try to jam it in an hour covering this and that....and hope what ever you say..they get. But it was fun and I enjoyed it...I do them every year in April for the local mineral club for their annual gem show which is held at the California Mineral Museum in Mariposa.

Thanks Ferd, No worries Im just a redneck and easily impressed. haha

Is that a Serbian last name I detect?

0650 day one of the new 2015. First cup of coffee sure felt good after all the noise of last night and finally some sleep.

I've been using DD coils for many years as my "go to coil of choice".

With a mono coil that's all you have, a mono coil.

With a DD you have four coils. First a DD that runs much quieter over all ground, less EMI's and a blade pattern entering the ground instead of a cone shaped pattern.

On Minelab GPX machines with the flip of the coil switch you then have a mono on the left half of the coil. Very good for pinpointing.

Flip that switch down to cancel and out goes the noise from electrical interference and noisy ground. This is just one way to do that, there are other ways also.

With a DD you can use the descriminator, if you want to lose little nuggets.

Out of my 11 coils only three are mono.

Ok have to cut this short since I have to be at my girlfriends house in 30 minutes for home made cheese bread!

Have a golden 2015!

yummmm...cheese bread. She make enough to share?