Nugget Shooter Forums
lydia

using a gps

I am thinking about getting a GPS to use while out prospecting, especially to identify the GPAA claims. Anyone out there have any suggestions as to brand, performance etc.

Thanks,

Lydia

I've always been a Garmin man ever since the release of the E-map. If you have a smart phone, there are numerous GPS programs available for those also. So many choices nowadays...

Thanks for the quick response, what model do you use?

Good thinking Lydia. There's so many uses for a GPS. Like your thinking for locating claims also take a reading before leaving your vehicle. Never know when you might get turned around and you can't find the car.

When you find a nugget and before filling the hole in put your foot in the hole and take the reading. Then when you get home put it on Google Earth. After awhile you'll have GE really looking good.

Also while your playing with GE you might find a new trail into an area that you didn't know about. Then get the readings for the new trail/road.

Also some good map makers here on the forum, might give them a shout and see what help they could give you.

Good luck......read the manual and practice, practice, practice.

Hi Lydia,

There are lots of good models out there. I use a Magellan. Just DON'T get a Rhino - the

type that is a combination radio and GPS. They go through the battery FAST, and then you

don't have access to either.

Ben

Garmin Etrex are cheap and work well I mark the claims with mine so I know when Im at the boundaries. I got the Legend HCX version. You can compare them all here. http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/etrexseriescomparison.htm

My Etrex is discontinued but the new ones are probably similar, just too pricey for my budget, watch Ebay for the best deals.

Edited by ssweat
  • Like 1

I lile the Garmin etrex 20. The etrex 10 is in black and white. The etrex10 and etrex 20 are not touch screens, so all entry is eithet done on the computer with a cable or the joystick type button. I do not like the idea of a touch screen device. IMO, to fragile for field work.

My one complaint is they will not calculate a bearing range to a grid. If I know the corner of myclaim is 253 degrees for 156 meters, i cant enter that in and get a point.

Also, as far as using a phone, since yours probably uses cell towers and not satellites, its probably a terrible idea unless you want to risk being tens of miles off in the boonies. Cels are OK for driving around town, but not so for being in the boonies.

• Like 1

Garmin E-Trex here as well.....

Garmin GPSmap60csx ... which is an older model about 5-6 years old now. The new model has some extras you probably won't ever use but that is progress and a reason to keep the price up there. I think the new model is the GPSmap64.

Until mine dies it will be by my side ... It will be a sad day indeed when it now longer works!

Garmin E-Trex here as well.....

Ditto....I like the little thumb/toggle for entering cords. Easier to use than that expensive gpsmap 62st I found.

Tom

Garmin Foretrex for me, wrist mounted so always available, downloadable to GE.

cf-lg.jpg

Backcountry navigator on my phone works for me. Download the topo for the area im working before I go and I can see my location and tracks on the same topo that im looking at on paper. Uses gps satellites so no cell service required if you download the maps before you lose signal.

Wow! I'm still using a Dinosaur Magellan 400. Even gets Black and White!

Another vote for a smartphone with GPS and install a free app like US Topo maps. Then download areas of interest into the phones memory, for use out in the field. Its honestly not even worth getting a stand alone gps anymore.

Edited by wes

Lydia,last time I checked about claims in Calaveras County...which was at least ten years ago most of the GPAA claims in our county had not been renewed.

Ben,

I own the garmin Rhino 650, and the battery will last me 2 or more days. The new ones have rechargeable lithium in them. They are great for talking to others in the field, and seeing where your buddy's are.

dave.

Hi Lydia,

There are lots of good models out there. I use a Magellan. Just DON'T get a Rhino - the

type that is a combination radio and GPS. They go through the battery FAST, and then you

don't have access to either.

Ben

A big thank you to all who took the time to help me with this. I went to REI today and saw what they had available & got a short lesson. So now I'll sit with the cpu & do some comparisons.

Looking forward to getting one & trying it out when we vaca to AZ next month. If any of you are at Quartzsite for the big annual hunt - look for me so I can thank you personally. I'll be running around with 2 Boston Terriers.

Everyone have a safe Happy New Year.

Thanks again & happy hunting.

Lydia

Garmin GPSmap60csx ... which is an older model about 5-6 years old now. The new model has some extras you probably won't ever use but that is progress and a reason to keep the price up there. I think the new model is the GPSmap64.

Until mine dies it will be by my side ... It will be a sad day indeed when it now longer works!

x2! GPSmap60sx has one of the best "antennas", I used mine in Colorado through deep canyons and always got a signal. In fact I have never not got a signal.

Alwaysdirty .... Precisely one of the key factors I am hesitant to try an upgrade. So long as it continues to work I will continue to use it!

Mike

The first time I turned my Garmin Etrex 20 on was inside my building at work and with no windows, it picked up my location. The GPS's have come a long way. My Etrex20 replaced a GPS I'd bought 15 years prior and these new GPS's have come a long way. The old GPS got me within tens of meters of where I was going, the new one is spot on. Outdoors the Etrex 20 always gets a good signal and within a couple of minutes will pick up a navigable signal within a couple of minutes.