Nugget Shooter Forums
mineralcreekmike

Using earbuds instead of headphones

Anyone ever try using earbuds instead of those bulky, hot headphones? I live here in Southern Oregon where it gets darned hot in the summer. When I use headphones with the ole detector my ears just about sweat right off and over heat me real fast! So last summer I bought a pair of $15 earbuds and a 1/4" jack from radio shack. After soldiering the jack onto the buds and water proofing the connection I tried them out and was shocked to find they actually worked JUST AS GOOD as my $90 headphones! No more sweating now and I am much more aware of what is going on around me. Only problem now is I am getting a Whites MXT Pro and if I'm correct you need headphones with volume control to use that detector as it has no volume control. So guess I'll be looking for some more earbuds with volume control and doing the 1/4" jack soldiering thing again. Anyone out there have any experience with earbuds?

Yeah I have here in AZ, but to really hear the quality responses earphones can't be beat, IMO

I guess if you are listening for that faint elusive signal from a deeply buried gold nugget earphones might be better, but for just coin shooting the parks earbuds have sure saved me from the proverbial heat stroke

I guess if you are listening for that faint elusive signal from a deeply buried gold nugget earphones might be better, but for just coin shooting the parks earbuds have sure saved me from the proverbial heat stroke

Yeah I dont see where headphones would be too beneficial in park hunting. i have used earbuds as well, saves batteries and the AZ sun will fill your ears full of water with headphones lol

Coin hunting i use the earbuds with the tiny hole in the center of each one so you can also hear what is going on around you in the park......Definitely on Gold i prefer headphones if i'm with another person...... earbuds when nobody around just my personal opinion to feel safer in my surroundings

I'm not all that educated on the subject, but a few years ago Bill mentioned some that he uses at times. I got a pair, (Bose), and love em'.

With ear buds, the sound is directed straight into my ears instead of bouncing around inside the headphones. I'm not sure, but I think I will be able to hear a rattler better also. (A theory I don't wish to test)

To each his own of course, but I'll choose buds over headphones all day long.

Patrick

Anyone know if you can buy earbuds that comes with 1/4" jacks? Or are there any metal detector manufacturers that produce earbuds along with their headphones? Have to agree though, when I'm doing serious nugget shooting headphones are the uniform of the day.

As John Arbuckle always said, "You get what you pay for" Just like headphones, there are quality ear buds out there. I use Bose. I think they cost about $100 on Ebay, but for me, they are well worth it.

Patrick

I used a pair of Skullcandy earbuds once and the slightest breeze caused enough background noise for me to never wear them again. You said that you liked to hear what is going on around you , well when I`m detecting , I don't want to hear anything around me. So , I guess it is all about ones individual taste.

Edited by adam

Another note with most earbuds you have smaller cords that are not as durable. I had a pair in one day and was squatted down digging and someones dog ran up and jumped up on me ripping them from my ears, after they left I put them back in and realized they got shorted out. Just bought them the day prior. Another benefit to both's credit, whichever you choose, they extend your battery life, speaker drains battery faster.

I agree Adam I prefer headphones. It sort of puts me in the zone without distractions for those light signals in a pounded patch.

If Im in a brushy area during the summer I wear snake leggins to get that off my mind.

In the winter headphones help keep my ears warm.

I use high end headphones. Ive tryed everything from gaming to high end lightweight studio headphones.

When earbuds first came out the sound quality s**ked but the newer ones like Bose helped solve that problem. also the cat claw and scrub oak in Az. yanks them out by the cord all the time.

imho, personal preference, time of year and where your hunting.

AzNuggetBob

I use light weight cal Rystal #1995 as no ear cup when hot and rattlers abound.. I have 2 Cal rad I use also dependent on temp,one full cup for windy winter cold weather and another that are flatter with no cup. Can't stand cramming things in my ears as we get DIRTY fast out in the sand ,dirt and mud and messing with your sensitive ears is dangerous with dirty hands-John

I have a set of custom molded ear plugs that are made to accept earbuds. Similar to the ones Garimpo uses. They are way more comfy than my Black Widows and sound just as good.

Earphones.jpg

I've been using these for years. Made by a hearing aid company in OKC.

Like ssw says the cords are smaller and more fragile than ear phone cords are.

I use the same clips that hospitals use to clip a IV line to your clothes. A snap and a little alligator clip works wonders keeping the cord close to your body so very little trouble with brush.

I do a lot of really slow and low beeping with little coils for little nuggets. Usually less than .5 grams and the sound with the custom fitted ear buds is the best in every way.

With these you can wear a ball cap or hat with no problem.

No sweat, just pure sound.

I have one pair with the small hole that actually lets to much noise in. Also another pair that doesn't have the hole and I prefer those over the others.

Pricey yes, over $200.00 for a set. But in my world well worth it.

• Like 1

Down here on the Border , I use Ear Buds and a Dog. I can here the Snakes, Dog and Wet Backs in the back ground. If the Wind is whooting I just look like a Old lady with a Scarf on. Yea, I don't us the Brain Munching Head phones. I use the Dollar Store Ear buds. Buy them buy the 10's at a $1.00 a set.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Like El Dorado, and Garimpo, I had some custom fitted earpieces made that would accept earbuds. A guy at a gun show was selling them, he put some fast setting up material in your ears, and in about 5 minutes, the stuff was set up. He then would take the mold and finish it up in his shop, and mail the finished product to you. The hardest part is deciding what color you want, there are a bunch to choose from. The ear pieces worked pretty good, but they do filter out any outside noise. Mine were in the price range the guys talked about. And they can be duplicated by the manufacturer, using the original molds, in case you lose one somehow. The good thing is, there is nothing to break about them. Super pliable, and receives the design of ear buds you decided on when you were in the buying/fitting process.

Gary/Largo

That is exactly how I got mine.........

Starting using earbuds this season. I much prefer it. I'm just using the ones that came with my phone with an adapter jack from radio shack. Sound quality is great.

I use a pair of noise canceling Bose QC 2 headphones-light weight and block out the noise really well :head: Mike C... :200:

Edited by Mike C...