Nugget Shooter Forums

A thought about the 2300

TomH

I got to look at the 2300 at the Q and a thought hit me once I got home about it.

Its really great how it folds up and is very compact, but....

Im wondering if folding and unfolding it all the time will eventually break down the coil wire?
I know ive had problems with coil wires and im not bending them all the time.

I guess if I had a 2300 I would only fold it up for a good hike into a place.

Just a thought.

Tom H.

I would think ML would have done some extensive testing. Of course in today's corporate designed throw-away society who knows, maybe they designed it to fail after a certain number of fold up - fold down actions so they can sell you a kit where you can send in the detector for a retrofit. I've noticed that things these days just don't last as long as they used too.

The design is an award winning one made for the military, so it should withstand abuse.

Normally with mine I do not fold it over unless going for a hike. Just faster and easier to shorten the coil rod and then its small enough to stow in the car easily.

I would assume that it's somewhat coiled to handle it, and/or the gauge of the wires that makes up the wire bundle(s) is extremely fine.

Ever see welding cable compared to standard stranded copper electricians use?

It's like comparing fine hair to boar bristles. I think that makes all the difference when flexing and movement is a concern.

You are correct there, Wvr H., I've been trying for a long time to find that type of stranded wire in smaller guages and every business I have contacted, automotive, electrical supply, etc., tells me they don't carry it and/or do not know where to find it.

I know it carries DC current better, the more surface area of conductive material there is, hence the many multiple x's of wire strands

there are, and the fineness for flexibility. I want to rewire my utility trailer with it, is why I am looking for the smaller guage stuff.

Greg

• Like 1

You are correct there, Wvr H., I've been trying for a long time to find that type of stranded wire in smaller guages and every business I have contacted, automotive, electrical supply, etc., tells me they don't carry it and/or do not know where to find it.

I know it carries DC current better, the more surface area of conductive material there is, hence the many multiple x's of wire strands

there are, and the fineness for flexibility. I want to rewire my utility trailer with it, is why I am looking for the smaller guage stuff.

Greg

And this statement I very much respect.... Always glad when you decide to add info Greg...