Nugget Shooter Forums

Tesoro Vaquero Lifetime Warranty?

I just purchased a lightly used Vaquero at a really good price and i took it for granted that it has a lifetime warranty and now i find out it only applies to the original owner. It is working perfectly but sure wish there was a way to get that warranty?

Nope. I sold Tesoro for over 20 years and I always told folks to put the unit in their youngest childs name as then good to go much longer. They DO honor the warranties like no one else. They completely rebuilt a 25 old Golden Sabre-new elctronics,coils,grips,switches on on on and 0 nyet natha charges,even sent a bag of extra parts. You bought a decent machine and not bad to nuggetshoot with. Yes many better but there are many that aren't nearly as good. . Lots of luck and many happy hours a fun-John

Edited by Hoser John

Thanks John,

My first Tesoro machine ever for coins with the grandson and i really like it. I can live with the no warranty was just hopin..... I have the gold bug 2 and the whites gmt for out in the wilds. so pretty well setup right now

Right back at ya' Have fun out there too and Merry Christmas.

Joe

I have had several tesoros...the first problem I had was ME-put one battery in wrong they fixed it but sent a well deserved , very snide note back....

The second is watch the metal connector on the coil wire...it will sometimes move up or down and ground the coil---I put silicon on mine so there were no exposed connections

great company, I wish they were still developing detectors...

fred

Points well taken

I have had several tesoros...the first problem I had was ME-put one battery in wrong they fixed it but sent a well deserved , very snide note back....

Just this morning i put a "White Out" mark on the positive side.... I do that to all my electronics as a guide to help me not make that mistake (especially since i don't have a warranty)

The second is watch the metal connector on the coil wire...it will sometimes move up or down and ground the coil---I put silicon on mine so there were no exposed connections

Are you talking about the metal screw on side that goes into the detector?_____ the other end at the coil is a plastic nut looking type connector (I have the stock 9x8 coil)

I notice that it has a stainless screw that holds the coil to the shaft..... Is that standard assembly?____

great company, I wish they were still developing detectors...

Are they not manufacturing any more detectors or just not developing any newer technology?_____

I have to admit i really do like the Tesoro product as it does seem very sensitive to targets and if i buy new I will go to Bill on this site and reap the benefits of a forever warranty (under my grandsons name LOL)

fred

There are many units that use the coiled stress relief on the plugs for over 50 years I can attest to. When you buy any unit simply take a permanent black marker and put a ring around the metal coil connector to the box. If/when it disappears-they all do eventually-you simply unwind it back out in the opposite direction to move it back out. I've done to every kind 1,000s a times as the metalic coil wire shorts out to the ground and you get periodic shorts or a complete meltdown. Newer units are rubber/plastic coated so no inward migration from flexing as held in place. Sounds like your good to go and NOBODY IS PERFECT so no sweat as being man enough to admit foilbiles is admireable(backward batteries-so cool)-John :4chsmu1:

There are many units that use the coiled stress relief on the plugs for over 50 years I can attest to. When you buy any unit simply take a permanent black marker and put a ring around the metal coil connector to the box. If/when it disappears-they all do eventually-you simply unwind it back out in the opposite direction to move it back out. I've done to every kind 1,000s a times as the metalic coil wire shorts out to the ground and you get periodic shorts or a complete meltdown. Newer units are rubber/plastic coated so no inward migration from flexing as held in place. Sounds like your good to go and NOBODY IS PERFECT so no sweat as being man enough to admit foilbiles is admireable(backward batteries-so cool)-John :4chsmu1:

That was a good tip..... I just went and put that ring around all my detectors

merry Christmas, John, you made my message clear...

Joe, to my knowledge Tesoro has not developed any new tech for years and years...I think Frank Gifford was the original Tesoro man but he is either dead or nearly dead by now...

Thanks Fred.... Still manufacturing but using existing technology

Tesoro changed the policy about a year ago, they will still warranty your machine for $50 if not the original owner I believe, at least the last I heard. People were abusing their generosity, but $50 is still a great deal.

Although many claim they use yesterdays technology, I can attest that it is all that is needed, no room for improvement IMO. the machines are great and quality built. I own 5 currently Lobo ST, Vaquero, 2 Compadres, and a Silver uMax. The discrimination is second to none.

I feel Target ID machines are very overrated and can easily make you miss targets by second guessing yourself, technology is not perfect. I am a beep and dig hunter listening for solid repeatable tones and have been very productive in my hunts (21 gold rings in the past year in parks). I currently only own one TID machine the Goldbug Pro I'm getting used to it but still don't trust I won't miss a gold ring by trusting the machine.

I feel the machines are very well built and have yet had the need to send any of them in for service.

Edited by ssweat

SS you are correct in that the technology is fine, in point of fact, vlf 's have only improved in some areas of tuning and id...a good ear and patience will make up for a fancy readout anytime. The Silver Sabre was the most fun of any of my Coin detectors-it is still an excellent value;as is the LoboST...

just a question of what you want to drive...

fred

Went out again today (2nd time now) coin hunting with the grandson.......Unbelievable machine and if it ever got stolen i would go out and get another i like it that much (I've never owned any Tesoro's before)..... I'm going to call Tesoro and see if there's any truth to that $50 warranty for non-original owners. and will post here when i get an answer. When i called the other day and asked if i had a lifetime warranty as a second owner of course she said "No" very nicely i must admit but i wish she would have said something about the $50 special if it's available.....fingers crossed for sure :4chsmu1:

Edited by Joe Z

Went out again today (2nd time now) coin hunting with the grandson.......Unbelievable machine and if it ever got stolen i would go out and get another i like it that much (I've never owned any Tesoro's before)..... I'm going to call Tesoro and see if there's any truth to that $50 warranty for non-original owners. and will post here when i get an answer. When i called the other day and asked if i had a lifetime warranty as a second owner of course she said "No" very nicely i must admit but i wish she would have said something about the $50 special if it's available.....fingers crossed for sure :4chsmu1:

Yeah I love my Vaquero it can go deep if ground balanced properly, it doesn't have the discrimination range of the Compadre though, wish it did. I know the Tesoro family and employees are super helpful and friendly. I read about the $50 on another forum last year. Hopefully it is still true. I truly believe the only way you will ever need the warranty is if you do something really dumb like drive over it or drop it in the water, they are built to last.

@FredMason I owned a Silver Sabre uMax briefly, i sold it before I really got to use it properly, wish I would have known better back then lol

Fred... would you do me a favor and look at your Vaquero down at the coil and see if it has a nylon bolt and wing nut hooking the coil to the shaft?______

On mine it looks stock but it has a stainless steel bolt and a brass /plastic combo nut holding mine together which just doesn't seem right.

I believe i need to go to ace hardware and get it corrected but just want to be sure that isn't a stock setup i have.

Oh and Merry Christmas all :)

Joe,

It should be all plastic. Geeezzz i didn't know ya'll had rednecks out that way...lol Now about the warranty, i have heard several say from other message boards that they didn't have a warranty. They sent their units in and tesoro fixed for free. So maybe it's just a matter of what's wrong with it. They might have had to pay the freight to get it back, not sure. I'm surprized you're not getting false signals with that ss bolt in it.

post-26159-0-08408900-1419498280_thumb.j

Edited by Rimshot

all my tesoros had a plastic encased brass bolt/nut...that is standard. As long as the metal is not moving the detector is tuned to ignore it. Garrett always had brass nut/bolts...maybe still do.

It won't hurt anything to get all plastic...

Merry Christmas

fred

Joe,

It should be all plastic. Geeezzz i didn't know ya'll had rednecks out that way...

When we lived back east they where called "Rube Goldburg's"..... I have to admit i am a backyard mechanic too :)

lol Now about the warranty, i have heard several say from other message boards that they didn't have a warranty. They sent their units in and tesoro fixed for free. So maybe it's just a matter of what's wrong with it. They might have had to pay the freight to get it back, not sure. I'm surprised you're not getting false signals with that ss bolt in it.

No false signals and depth is still there, the coinage i am finding is very positive..... There is absolutley nothing wrong with the unit just trying to cover my bases if something should happen to it

all my tesoros had a plastic encased brass bolt/nut...that is standard. As long as the metal is not moving the detector is tuned to ignore it. Garrett always had brass nut/bolts...maybe still do.

It won't hurt anything to get all plastic...

Merry Christmas

fred

Thanks Fred..... I am going to do a few simple air tests with the stainles bolt and then the plastic bolt and see what happens. I've been trying to call Tesoro to see about that possible $50 second owner warranty but no answer i guess bacause of the holidays..... I've googled the heck out of it and all references to $50 was about sending it in for a tune up

Merry Christmas everybody :)

Hi Guys, Took my lobo lst to Prescott factory in person a few months back. Pinpointer issue. I am original owner, could not find my paperwork from 10 years ago. Lady in the office checked there computer records and low & behold I must have sent in the reg. card. That's a 1st, otherwise it would have been a $ 50.00 charge. I did not ask her if that $ 50.00 charge was a 1 time charge to re activate the warr. or 50 dollars per service charge. Anyway they fixed the issue and tuned her up good as new. Got her back 3 days later no shipping charges either. Tech called up a few days later to make sure it was delivered and in working order. Now that's great service. Talkin to the teck about waterproof detectors he said some guys take there lst's control boxes put on a floating devise an detect under water with shaft & coil. Always wondered why the had an 8 foot coil wire? :thumbsupanim Later Jerry Merry Xmas,

Rusty used to run the service op,GREAT fella,been with Tesoro for at lease 20+ years I can attest to with nothing but excellent service and follow up OMG fantastic-John