Nugget Shooter Forums

What do people think of Whites metal detectors?

Anyone have any thoughts about Whites metal detectors? I started off with an old 1970 Whites Goldmaster BFO unit which found me lots of gold, when it worked. But seemed with those old detectors everytime you hit a rock too hard with the coil you'd have to send it back to Whites to get it fixed. Then the Whites 4000 D Series 2 came out about 1981, which was a good detector! I found so many gold nuggets and silver coins with that detector back in those days! An excellent unit. Then came the Whites 6000 DI Pro with automatic ground balancing. I went over my old nugget shooting sites again and found more than I did with the 4000! Then I got a Whites Surfmaster PI Dual Field underwater detector. Talk about going deep and simple to use! If they'd only incorporate a little discrimination in that unit! Now I have added the Whites GMT......an awsome machine for gold! But they need an optional bigger loop so you can go deeper. Anyone have any suggestions on a good coin detector that goes DEEP but does not cost an arm & a leg? I'm getting some good reports on the Whites MXT Pro but hear that the Garrett AT Pro isn't as good as its talked up to be on "Diggers". Comments???????????

For Gold i'm using a Fisher Gold Bug2 and a Whites Goldmaster GMT and like both really well..... Whites MXT was my first choice for a coin shooter but so darn expensive.

I wanted a decent coin shooter that didn't cost an arm and a leg and after many youtube videos and other forums i came up the "Tesoro Vaquero" (found a lightly used one at a good price) took it out yesterday for the first time...... Very impressed with the depth it's getting and found lots of coins

Whites MXT, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F5 and the Tesoro Vaquero where my finalists....... there are many others that are also good i didn't look into too far. Do a youtube search on whatever you choose as there are many

Edited by Joe Z

Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq and GB2 float my golden hunting needs just fine. I keep trying as many new units as possible,even Notka a more than decent nugget shooter as used 2 models now the Velox and Fors Gold recently. John

In my opinion, buy a name brand detector designed to do what you want it to do.If it's to find gold...than buy a nugget capable machine. Any of those machines in the right hands, will find gold. In my opinion, it has everything to do with the operator. I use a 4500, my partner a Tesoro Lobo, both of us have found gold when the other had not. I of course have found the deep gold, but the Lobo found many I missed in the lets say 2-5 grain size and some crystalline stuff I missed. The GB, Tesoro Lobo, GMT, Exterra 705, and many other gold machines are just as capable ( in the right hands ).