Nugget Shooter Forums

Coyotes...I now do not like them

About 8:15 this Friday morning a coyote jumped our fence and killed my fathers Boston Terrier.

I will go out of my way from now on to kill coyotes.

This was in Golden Valley AZ , with neighbors that had dogs and it came in the yard anyway.

Needless to say we are not a happy bunch of people right now.

The Boston was like a kid to my father and at 80 years old he don't need this kind of stress.

Thanks for letting me vent.....................

That sucks AZD! I know how those little dogs can warm the heart. We've have a little toy poodle for almost 15 years now and if something were to happen to her, my S.O. would totally lose it. I know I'd be sad for a few days.

As an aside, I've probably killed almost a 1000 coyotes in my life, so you can say I got even for you. The coyotes used to eat our baby calves like they were candy. Sometimes they'd eat them right from the cow as they were being born. On a good day I could kill at least 5 or more depending on if I was hunting them down on the snowmobile, or playing sniper and calling them in. When they got too thick, we used to invite fur brokers who ran packs of greyhounds trained to hunt and run down coyotes. There's probably only a handful of people in this world who have ever been witness to a pack of greyhounds run down a coyote from almost 1/2 mile away. Those dogs are so fast that the poor coyote only gets a few steps before the greyhounds catch up to him and proceed to run him down. By the time we get to the coyote, they were usually dead from heart attack or exhaustion from the greyhounds chasing them until they couldn't run anymore. Rarely did we ever have to shoot the coyote and mess up the fur, just clubbed them a few times and called it good.

Coyotes climb the walls here and got a few dogs already so i am very cautious. We have a small Schit-zu and everytime i let him out i clap my hands real loud and make some noise but i'm not sure if that is bad or good?______

I don't leave food or water out just for safety sake...... If it's real late i stand by the door and always have a huge stick handy.... neighborhood is too tight to discharge a firearm

Any other recommendations?____

I am so sorry to hear about your little dog

Hey Rick,

About 8 years ago, our neighborhood in Phoenix (near 2 mountain preserves) started to lose cats and small dogs to coyotes.

I was notified by the police when the coyotes left part of one of my pets across the street, on the neighbor's bloody lawn. since that

was my second pet eaten, I wanted to shoot the coyotes, but the cops said it is illegal to shoot in the city limits. They said call Animal

Control. I did. They said they we just deal with domestic animals, and to call County Animal control. I did. They said to kill coyotes would

be hunting, so I'd need to call Arizona Fish and Game. I did. They said it's illegal to hunt in the city, and because they live in the

Mountain Preserves, that they're "protected", and quoted something from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife. So I called them, too. And THEY said

it's not their jurisdiction, and to call "your City Animal control". Well, I went down to Big Five Sporting Goods and bought a Crossbow

on sale, and after a few bolt-filled bodies were found in our neighborhood, it was frigging Amazing how fast the authorities were

in removing all the rest, including at least one family of them that was living in the Rte. 51 freeway landscaping ( that would be ADOT

jurisdiction) near us. Before that, I'd see pairs and threes of coyotes openly trotting down the middle of the streets from about

10:00 PM till just after sunrise. Not anymore. Do what you gotta do.

Ben

I had one cross my property the other day..he was moving pretty fast...never had a chance to pick up my gun and get a shot off. Night time i think they run in packs. When they start howling a bunch, i think they got a kill...but not sure. Sorry to here about ya'lls dog.

I have seen single and pairs of coyotes hunt at night and then when a 'target' is found start to bay alerting other coyotes in the area they are about to chase and ring the dinner bell. They are prolific hunters. When they come onto my property I tend to dispatch them if they are within a 100 feet of the house. If they just cut the corner of my 10 acre lot then they can go freely. I don't consider it 'hunting' when they invade my property! I had a close call with Max lately when a coyote jumped the fence into his run area ... Max's barking alerted me to a danger and I ended up shooting that coyote as he landed on the other side of the fence when I came to the door. Coyotes can be stupid brave sometimes ... that will get them killed in my yard!

Consider the virtues of a REAL slingshot. They're not just "bean flippers" anymore.

Very good idea where i live..... Found an old set and ordered new Trumark bands for it

I shoot 50cal lead balls in mine as then critters don't just limp away,otherwise like them marbles for practice. Great new designs and rubber make'm much more fun than wimpy ol'school. A great viable tool for critter control-John

In the 1970s when I was involved in bull terrier clubs I learned of this particular white bull terrier in AZ that became obsessed with nailing coyotes. It was all he lived for. He would disappear for hours each night and the next day the corpses of coyotes he singlehandedly killed littered the desert for miles around. Some types of dogs can stand up to coyotes better than others.

Attacks are happening even in the inner cities.

I've started calling them "Urban Wolves".

Wolves of Idaho share the same tactics, to the point

of taking new born Elk at birth.

They are predators seeking prey.

I try to remove temptation as best I can.

Lessons learned from past experiences.

Ducks, chickens, and cats, I provided a varied menu. :brows:

As of the 19th of Dec. the is no coyote that I will not kill if given a chance.

When out on my side x side I now carry my .223 (scoped at 200).

I have pics of a coyote in gold basin....from now on it will pics of DEAD coyote.

There is a couple more small dog gone missing in my area.

Not Classed as a Fire Arm you may be able to use one of these. I killed a wild dog with one heart Lung shot with a Sheridan Blue Streak. http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/benjamin-sheridan-pellet-guns.html

If you can go Big Bore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mCTl0lGyuo

I'm a Dog Owner and Really don't like to shoot dogs but this one was a killer. Complete Farrell. Any other animal in it's reach was dead meat. Put the carpus on the scale and it came out to 80lb.

Edited by homefire

Don't do head shots unless there from the side like just in front or under the ear. A .45 ACP only does 950FPS . Hell you can see them going down rang. Place your shots and they WILL go down.

Yea, head on eye shot. They show up like a Blinky light at night. I find the Side more effective. Did you know that if you put a Red Lens on the flash lite coyotes don't see red light? You can see them but it's like you and Infra Red. They just don't see it.

Edited by homefire

About 8:15 this Friday morning a coyote jumped our fence and killed my fathers Boston Terrier.

I will go out of my way from now on to kill coyotes.

This was in Golden Valley AZ .....

Sorry to hear this digger...I just got down here last week & one of the first things the managers of the RV park I'm in, told me was to watch/protect my pets or they'd be promptly killed by the local yotes. Since I don't have a fenced in yard, I take mine out on a leash along with a .22 pistol that fits in my pocket. Actually ONE of the reasons I moved down here was the legal aspect of being able to carry a firearm for defensive purposes...

I seen mentioned the use of a pellet gun for dispatching neighborhood intruders. While a .22 will work, I'd suggest that if you need something "quiet" & can afford it, one of these in .25 caliber will work very nicely... http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_PCP_Air_Rifle_Synthetic_Stock/3139

They are easily modified for better performance & aftermarket parts like "shroud extensions" (silencers) are readily available at modest cost. I had a different model when I lived in a housing subdivision in the Sacramento area & none of my neighbors (within spitting distance) ever knew I was regularly shooting it in the back yard. The pellet hitting something was the only sound that might draw attention, but for target practice, I used a trash can filled with rags laid on its side.