Nugget Shooter Forums

nugget shooting in the Rye Patch

mineralcreekmike

post-27433-0-93626200-1418955627_thumb.jHi everyone, I'm new to the lower 48 states. I just spent 45 years in Alaska where I became pretty proeffecient in finding gold with metal detectors. I even put myself through two years of college with the gold I found.......at the old price in the 80s. I found most of it with an old Whites 4000D Series 2 detector, and a Whites 6000DI Pro. Now I have a new Whites GMT but so far have not had a chance to use it. I live here in Southern Oregon now and would really like to try my luck in Nevada or Arizona this winter but just don't know where to go. Anyone have any thoughts on what they call the "Rye Patch" near Imlay, Nevada? I know where Imlay is but any instructions on how to get to the Rye Patch from there? Anyone have any ideas on other areas that someone who feels totaly out of place in the lower 48 might try?

Mineralcreekmike

Stack rocks? What are ya....a bigfoot....lol Have stacked tons of rocks myself in Alaska as I picked apart bedrock, brushed each slab like rock, and stacked them where I'd already dug. Gotta find somewhere down here to stack em.........lol

there is information on the internet - do a Google search and you will find it.

Its a place where thousands of folks have detected - some have even found gold. I did get 6 little bits there the last time I was there a few months back.

Hey they are known as the Majuba placers... Now have been well worked... Hey Lunk are you still

out there. Hey Jerry Balcer where are you... In the beginning section 17 was one of the best to

recover nice nuggets... Memories now fading, But the area will never be worked out. It was here

that Smokey gave me the name "tailgate"

and much much more at mylandmatters.org

http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/Mining.html

http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyNV/GetMap

there is information on the internet -

Thanks IDdesertman, have known about this gold area for years but for some reason have a real hankering to try the desert areas. I'm going to get out along the Rogue River here soon with my Whites GMT and see how many fishing sinkers I can find.............lol

Hey Mike,

Yes, the exposed bedrock on the Rogue is detectable. I would also suggest the mouth of the many side creeks

that spill into the Rogue, like Graves, or Galice. There are many good spots to nugget hunt in the GP area. Just

ask the folks over at Armadillo.

Ben

The Northern Nevada desert is a little cold this time of year. You can get decent days, but you can also get daytime highs well below freezing and snow. It will warm up in a few months. Check weather for Winnemucca to get an idea of conditions.

Thank you Reno Chris. Having just spent the past 45 years in Alaska I don't think the cold days in Nevada would matter to me much but they might to my metal detector.......lol I know I couldn't take the heat of summer in the desert but might head over during March or April if those are good months. If the Rye Patch has been pretty much worked out then I'll look for better diggings I guess.

Thank you Regmaglitch, I'll probably take the new GMT out within the next few weeks. Have been wanting to try those smaller creeks where they dump into the Rogue. Those areas are only 10 miles away from me. I have seen people panning the gravel and coming out with some pretty nice size flakes in the 10 - 15 grain range. My Uncle once found a 1/4 oz. nugget up by the town of Rogue River with an old detector, so I know they are out there. I'm sure that even panning would be more profitabl than finding those clad coins with my other detector. I mean, it does not take much gold to more than match the $2.50 average in clad coins I find on outings with my coinmaster. Only thing is I HATE to sell any gold I find..........just have to hang onto it.........and the money for my new detector just dosen't accumulate very fast with clad coins.............lol

Archived