Nugget Shooter Forums

Does all raw gold...

Rimshot

come from gold veins? When I think of a gold vein, quartz always seems to be the #1 host. What other types of rock could host a gold vein? TIA!

Just short of town is the Membress River. Crosses HY 180 it does. If you pan on the flow side just before it crosses the Road you can find gold. Not Much but some. This river is Dry 9 out of 12 months. The Gold is coming from the MTN's up north. Some 50-60 miles away. I live on the ancient river flow about 3 miles from it. Living on ancient river sands bars I can find gold in my front yard. I found as much as .24 Grams in a about a ton of sand. All with a Henery Poop Tube. Is it economical? No But I Hit it when board.

Edited by homefire

quartz isn't a requirement for gold formation

Very true. Quartz is so common because its a combination of the two most common elements int he earth's crust, silicon and oxygen. Actually some iron is more commonly associated with gold than quartz. There are gold-calcite veins with little or no quartz. Here in Nevada there is a place where gold occurs in zeolites (a class of minerals which is neither quartz or calcite).

I like the black flakey shale-think pages in a book-that occur along the Merced River. Between the black pages it's loaded with vapor deposition gold,extremely thin but righteous looking. Mined many pounds as a kid along the river and traded for bait,cokes,ice cream,new fishing poles,bikes you name it. Here is the spot at Bagby-Benton Mills -where the father of California General John Freemont built his dam and made a killing with the Specimen Queen Mine.Also beautiful greenstone/quartzy mix with righteous globs of gold. Still have jars full in the bank from the 50-60s with specimens of each type found as a kid. Mariposa State Mineral Museum still has some fine examples--what's left after the &^%$#@ robbery to view in Mariposa,south end of town at the fairgrounds-John

post-23710-0-67041200-1418824694_thumb.j

John,

Great pictures of the Merced from the 50's ! Thanks for sharing...in the Summer I like to snipe the shallow bedrock with a mask and snorkel on and just a few tools. Another interesting thing I have observed is gold specimens dug right out of the iron rich red clay. Also small pockets found with interesting porous like nuggets with no quartz attached stained red.

Maybe i should have asked for top ten rocks (minerals) found with gold along with pictures too so they can be easilly identified... :inocent:

Maybe i should have asked for top ten rocks (minerals) found with gold along with pictures too so they can be easilly identified... :inocent:

Think of the chemical make-up of the top 10 most common rocks and you'll probably find that any one of them can be a host to gold or other PMs. I'm learning that it all depends on the district and what the geology is of the region as to what the primary host rock would be for gold. Even then it's a crapshoot.