Nugget Shooter Forums

Lapidary setup info needed

Hi, I've been wanting to get a saw and polisher for a while. Most of the combo units that have a saw and grinders are way out of my price range. Inland makes a pretty affordable one but the reviews aren't too great. I've found this one for sale, do any of you guys recognize it? I'm just wondering if this is a decent unit and if parts can still be found for them. Any opinions and info appreciated. Thanks

post-26514-0-52139500-1418674659_thumb.j

Price is a big factor as to whether it is worth buying. It looks like it has silicon carbide wheels which are pretty in inexpensive. I personally would look for something else unless this machine was cheap. Check the condition of the bearings, blade, motor and wheels to help determine the final cost to get yourself cutting.

Chris look at Albuquerque on Craigslist. Type in Rock saw or "poly rock grinder / polisher tumbler" and look in nearby areas. There is a Farmington ad that is about what you need. I use several poly grinders and they are cheap and easy to rebuild. The ad is 600 or obo so you might be able to get it cheaper. Look at your local Lapidary Club as they might have equipment to sell off. Kingsley North has a good stainless steel unit for about 1000 new and Diamond pacific has the Genie which I have and is a little more.... PM me with a phone number and I can help you with more information. I am a member of Mother Lode Mineral Society and we have surplus equipment we are getting ready to sell by you are to far

Poly Arbors with expanding drums are great since you can use less expensive belts and switch them as you need finer grits. I have a Lortone Beaver that is similar and it works great. I like my Genie for convenience but it is a lot more expensive if you are just getting started.

Cool, thanks for the tips guys. The price for that Sears unit is 250$ and he says it is in good working order. I checked out the Farmington ad, that one looks a lot better, a little out of my price range though. I can't really find any info online about this Sears one I posted pics of.

Chris, I found a little info on the Sears unit, but it most likely of little help, it appears that it is a vintage "Sears Companion "6 inch" Lapidary and Cab Outfit. Model Number: 8611405"

I found 2 that sold on ebay via this Worthpoint website, one sold back in 2006 and the other in 2007, you would have to sign up on the website to see what they sold for 7 to 8 years ago.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sears-companion-lapidary-rock-saw-polisher

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sears-companion-6-lapidary-cab-complete-outfit

Chris If you take a look at the Farmington ad it also comes with a rock tumbler that you do not need. See if you can separate the two units and then it may be in your ballpark. The sears unit will cut a rock but there are not enough wheels to polish one. That is the reason i suggested looking at something else.

I have an Inland "All-In-Wonder" that I used 1 time. Then I met El Dorado and he does anything for me that I need done. Not looking to give it away, but not looking to rape somebody on the price either. Send me a pm if you have any interest in buying it from me.

well like those links says about the Sears, it is a "cab outfit". So shouldn't it have enough wheels to finish one? I think there is three wheels total on the Sears, two grinder wheels and one round flat grinder on the side of the machine. yes that's a good point about not needing the tumbler I will send an email to that guy and see if he would sell just the saw and grinder. Thanks for the offer Matt, I may send you a pm about yours in a few.post-26514-0-35675400-1418693242_thumb.j

Edited by Caliche Chris

I agree with Pondmn--not enough wheels. Also the saw looks to be quite small, soon you will find you want to cut a larger rock. That All in wonder may be your best bet, still can't cut a very large rock

I think your best bet is the Poly arbor with 8" expando drums mentioned earlier. You can get belts for them fairly cheap in grits from 60 on up to around 3000, though you shouldn't need anything finer than about 1200. As you progress you can switch one side of your arbor to diamond hard wheel or pick up another arbor with two hard wheels. I'd recommend 100 and 220 if you go that route. If you decide you must have a combo unit, I'd suggest finding one from highland park, diamond pacific, or covington. I'd also stay away from cab king. They are more affordable, but there's a reason for that. Any combo unit you consider buying should have at least two hard wheels, one expanding drum, and a trim saw. A polishing disc on the side is a nice option too.