Nugget Shooter Forums
AzNuggetBob

Where does gold come from? with AZ Nugget Bob...

Morlock thanks for the post but I have to say there are several things in it I disagree with.
To start with I strongly disagree with this statement. "the stars are not foretelling our doom!"
They are.
We are watching stars explode all around us. and then there are the asteroids, wiping out entire planets and moons! asteroids don't stay in their orbit, they randomly get knocked out. " Random chaos is normal" I've been saying that for years.,
We already know that stars have a life-cycle. they burn out ,explode or get ripped apart as they are sucked into black holes. this would guarantee in our demise or reformation. we are really a fragile life form. we are already confident we may go the way of the dinosaurs if we don't do something about it soon. and that in itself proves that intelligent life can form,evolve enough to leave its own planet or become extinguished in a reasonably short amount of space time. I'm confident history will repeat itself.
"Round and round"
Do I think we are unique in the universe as the only intelligent life form?, No!
Many of the theories in that post are based on 1960's technology or older.
We all know how far we have come from the sixties and as we know, theories based on old technology get proven wrong all the time.
We now know after Hubble's straw hole view of deep space that there are millions of galaxies out there and more than likely billions if not trillions of stars with planets rotating around in them.
We also now know that there are different types of galaxies. some similar to ours and many that are not. we don't even have a clue as to what types of astrophysics are going on in them.
The odds that there are other galaxies with planets out there with the similar elements in them and a similar distance from its star as ours, are good in my opinion.
I really think the only thing keeping us apart from other life forms is the distance,random chaos and "time", at least as we understand time at present. based primarily on our own existence and the rotation of the planets in our solar system. rather than space time.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

Well, Bob;

it is hard enough to live on Earth-time...we would need much longer lives and broader view to live on Universe-time...

I am 68 and very well remember the scientists screaming there could not be other planets or life elsewhere...all that has changed.

The fiction of today is tomorrows facts...I hope this post fits in, I am not going to read 34 pages to find out...

fred

• Like 2

I guess I'm a little late posting to this thread to talk about "Earth wobble." A number of years ago I ran into a novel by Allan W. Eckert titled "The HAB Theory". I thoroughly enjoyed it and remember that I was quite impressed with the accuracy of the science.

I thought you might enjoy some "different" reading if you can locate a copy.

Roger P.

• Hmmmmmm 1

On 6/25/2018 at 10:32 AM, fredmason said:

Well, Bob;

it is hard enough to live on Earth-time...we would need much longer lives and broader view to live on Universe-time...

I am 68 and very well remember the scientists screaming there could not be other planets or life elsewhere...all that has changed.

The fiction of today is tomorrows facts...I hope this post fits in, I am not going to read 34 pages to find out...

fred

fred
I always try and look at the big picture. I think it has helped me in nugget hunting as well and I agree with you. Times are a changing fast. Technology is changing in leaps and bounds. we are able to read some types of minerals on planets, asteroids and on earth with remote sensing from satellites. now that's what I call a long range metal detector. its only a matter time and we will be doing beeping fly-by's. I'm thinking probably the asteroid belt. easier to recover and tow them home with robotic satellites, no humans necessary. Its a lot harder to fly humans through space than satellites. I'm still waiting for Minelab to come out with a detector that not only finds them,it digs the holes too. :thumbsupanim
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 12:21 PM, Roger P said:

I guess I'm a little late posting to this thread to talk about "Earth wobble." A number of years ago I ran into a novel by Allan W. Eckert titled "The HAB Theory". I thoroughly enjoyed it and remember that I was quite impressed with the accuracy of the science.

I thought you might enjoy some "different" reading if you can locate a copy.

Roger P.

Roger
I haven't read the book. I did some checking and Its a little bit sci-fi and I can get it. I'll take a look at it. I'm always open to new ideas. Thanks
AzNuggetBob

I agree Morlock
But I'm not as subtle as Carl Sagan.
Where already well on our way to morphing into robots. we are right on the edge of being able to derive and store the information directly from our brains into a digital world. I would think that any alien interstellar life forms or robots would be searching for minerals or elements to survive and replicate and what they are looking for may not even exist on earth. they may not even require eating like humans do. so we may be basically nothing but parasites to them. with our planet and the things that also live on it being (our host). Enough to make you want to go Vegan, but in technical terms even if we did we may still be a parasite to the earth from their point of view. maybe they fear us eating or annihilating them over a minor differences of opinion or unfounded fears. we probably have the ability to do it now with weapons of self destruction. It wasn't that long ago we where eating and enslaving each other. maybe they dont want to jump into this mess we call civilization just yet. when you stop and think about it, it doesn't sound like we are (as a whole)very intelligent yet, does it.
but
Based on how far some of us have progressed in the last 100 years, just Imagine how far we could be ahead in another 200 years as compared to the last 2000.
AzNuggetBob

On 6/28/2018 at 5:23 PM, AzNuggetBob said:

Based on how far some of us have progressed in the last 100 years, just Imagine how far we could be ahead in another 200 years as compared to the last 2000.
AzNuggetBob

Our progress has been phenomenal and it continues to build speed. I stood in line at a computer store in 1995 to MS Windows 95 when it first came out and it was at that point when I was first able to access the internet. There was nothing on the internet at that point, but the groundwork had been laid. The opportunity was there. Advances in productivity followed along with the sharing of information. Technology in all forms began to advance at a faster and faster pace. Gold continued to disappear at a faster and faster pace as internet prospecting forums opened up (Thank you Bill Southern!) and advances in metal detectors enabled miners to be more productive.  
There is no doubt that space is the new frontier, and about the only thing that could stop progress here on Earth is an asteroid. Is there intelligent life on other planets that is similar to humans? At the rate we are going there will be answers very soon and it won't be long and we will have the ability to send humans to habitable planets inside or outside our solar system.

• Like 1

Morlock thanks for your post.
I can see how this may be possible from a geologic standpoint but lets talk reality as far as depth.
If you look back on this thread you will find a post where I talked about a recent Russian discovery of a ton of diamonds they are finding in an old very large asteroid crater. they claim there is enough diamonds to supply world demand indefinitely. No the diamonds probably didn't come from the asteroid but the intense heat and pressure it created on impact. I saw a special on I think it was 60 minutes several years ago and they where aloud into their underground diamond vaults with cameras. the amount of uncut diamonds they have stockpiled in bank bags is staggering, tons. I noticed shortly after that airing De Beers stopped buying and controlling diamond mines with the fervor they have in the past.
AzNuggetBob

Now I'm not giving investment advise here but, the value of a large diamond is so grey that its really a matter of what some one is willing to pay. Let me give you another example. my wife's wedding ring is not worth as much today as it was when I purchased it. When I purchased it gold was $325.00 dollars an Oz. I could not take it into a store today and sell it for what I payed for it. even though the thin gold band has appreciated more than the diamond. I could have purchased seven ounces of gold at that time for what I paid for her ring. I don't think if I walked into any given coin/jewelry store today I could get more than a $1500.00 for it.
Hope she is not reading this.:hiker:
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure how the diamond wedding ring got its start in Western culture.  For my folks, it's customarily a plain gold band, and the women manage to obtain their stones later in the marriage, one way or another.

Diamonds as an investment are best purchased used.  Bought at retail, you take a loss walking out of the showroom, and it can take many decades to recover that initial loss, much less to see any gain.  Bought used at the right price, it's possible to realize a decent profit overnight.  Pawnbrokers know this.  I'd not be likely to advise someone to invest in used diamonds, though -- it's the sort of thing that almost requires instinct.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Saul R W said:

I'm not sure how the diamond wedding ring got its start in Western culture.  For my folks, it's customarily a plain gold band, and the women manage to obtain their stones later in the marriage, one way or another.

Diamonds as an investment are best purchased used.  Bought at retail, you take a loss walking out of the showroom, and it can take many decades to recover that initial loss, much less to see any gain.  Bought used at the right price, it's possible to realize a decent profit overnight.  Pawnbrokers know this.  I'd not be likely to advise someone to invest in used diamonds, though -- it's the sort of thing that almost requires instinct.

Watched a documentary on De Beers ....basically De Beers marketing in the U.S. turn of the century..." A diamond is forever" De Beers slogan....it caught on. 

• Like 1

Just like Model As and greeting cards, and about the same era, too?  Good old Madison Avenue.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2018 at 3:40 AM, AzNuggetBob said:

Latest reports before it got too far away to follow, it accelerated for unknown reasons.

In the first place Im confident it is/was a comet. I said it before a few months ago. the reason it accelerated is it slingshoted off the earth. the same thing we do with satellites/probes off other planets.
AzNugggetBob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

In the first place Im confident it is/was a comet. I said it before a few months ago. the reason it accelerated is it slingshoted off the earth. the same thing we do with satellites/probes off other planets.
AzNugggetBob

You're very likely right about it being a comet, and about the slingshot effect -- I doubt it was aliens returning for another batch of Nikes.  There are a broad number of possible solutions -- ranges of angle of approach, velocity and distance at the nearest point -- that would allow for successful gravitational assist, or slingshotting, of the object.  The slingshot effect occurs often.  You get essentially the same effect if you throw a rubber ball at an approaching automobile -- it steals some of the car's kinetic energy, and is moving faster after the encounter (while the car loses energy and velocity).  Of course, there are an equal number of solutions in which the space object would move at lesser velocity after its encounter with Earth, just as if you bounced a ball off the rear end of a departing vehicle, in which case the car, not the ball, would gain energy and velocity.  At just the right velocity, angle of attack and distance, the object gives up all of its kinetic energy to the Earth and becomes a satellite.  Kinda cool, really.

7 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

AzNugggetBob

Non-gravitational speed increase. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0254-4

Abstract

‘Oumuamua (1I/2017 U1) is the first known object of interstellar origin to have entered the Solar System on an unbound and hyperbolic trajectory with respect to the Sun1. Various physical observations collected during its visit to the Solar System showed that it has an unusually elongated shape and a tumbling rotation state1,2,3,4 and that the physical properties of its surface resemble those of cometary nuclei5,6, even though it showed no evidence of cometary activity1,5,7. The motion of all celestial bodies is governed mostly by gravity, but the trajectories of comets can also be affected by non-gravitational forces due to cometary outgassing8. Because non-gravitational accelerations are at least three to four orders of magnitude weaker than gravitational acceleration, the detection of any deviation from a purely gravity-driven trajectory requires high-quality astrometry over a long arc. As a result, non-gravitational effects have been measured on only a limited subset of the small-body population9. Here we report the detection, at 30σsignificance, of non-gravitational acceleration in the motion of ‘Oumuamua. We analyse imaging data from extensive observations by ground-based and orbiting facilities. This analysis rules out systematic biases and shows that all astrometric data can be described once a non-gravitational component representing a heliocentric radial acceleration proportional to r−2 or r−1 (where r is the heliocentric distance) is included in the model. After ruling out solar-radiation pressure, drag- and friction-like forces, interaction with solar wind for a highly magnetized object, and geometric effects originating from ‘Oumuamua potentially being composed of several spatially separated bodies or having a pronounced offset between its photocentre and centre of mass, we find comet-like outgassing to be a physically viable explanation, provided that ‘Oumuamua has thermal properties similar to comets.

On 5/15/2018 at 3:40 AM, AzNuggetBob said:

Latest reports before it got too far away to follow, it accelerated for unknown reasons.

Jack
The reason I knew it was a comet was its speed. est. by some to be 70-80,000 mph. asteroids don't travel that fast. It came by so fast we hardly saw it coming and was gone before they had much of a chance to even analyze it. that's why most of what we know about it is speculation and I don't think gassing off is going to speed it up, in fact I would think it would tend to slow it down some. because it happens when its approaching our sun. but I do agree that it may change its trajectory to some extent. because it would probably tend to gas more on one side as it goes by. and in my opinion its speed is why it doesn't follow the normal gravitational rules that we are used too. but that doesn't make it immune, just look at comet shoemaker levy. Jupiter's gravity tore it apart and drew it in. the impact marks it left where the size of the earth. I'm sure there are a lot of new rules out there that we don't even have a clue about yet. In fact I don't even think there is a single set of rules that apply to every galaxy.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saul R W said:

You're very likely right about it being a comet, and about the slingshot effect -- I doubt it was aliens returning for another batch of Nikes.  There are a broad number of possible solutions -- ranges of angle of approach, velocity and distance at the nearest point -- that would allow for successful gravitational assist, or slingshotting, of the object.  The slingshot effect occurs often.  You get essentially the same effect if you throw a rubber ball at an approaching automobile -- it steals some of the car's kinetic energy, and is moving faster after the encounter (while the car loses energy and velocity).  Of course, there are an equal number of solutions in which the space object would move at lesser velocity after its encounter with Earth, just as if you bounced a ball off the rear end of a departing vehicle, in which case the car, not the ball, would gain energy and velocity.  At just the right velocity, angle of attack and distance, the object gives up all of its kinetic energy to the Earth and becomes a satellite.  Kinda cool, really.

Saul for some reason I picture you as a kid doing the rubber ball and car experiment! :25r30wi:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Au Seeker said:

Saul for some reason I picture you as a kid doing the rubber ball and car experiment! :25r30wi:

It's entirely possible that buried in the archives of various law enforcement entities throughout Yavapai County, you might find records of some of my early experiments. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I posted this over in the meteorite section. May as well put a copy here too. I used to think the moon may have been the result of another object colliding with the earth, glancing off and getting stuck in orbit due to gravity. Another possibility could be seen happening in this photo, where the comet/asteroid or whatever you want to call it passes right through the earth and blasts out a huge portion of it which becomes detached and reforms as a separate body.  (as in moon) 

zzzzzz.png

• Like 1

Slim
 Thanks for your post.
My personal opinion is that the last extinction was caused by a comet, not an asteroid.
Could a comet have blown off enough earth to help create our moon. we have seen what one did to Jupiter. I think its possible, but we already know the moon is over 4 billion years old. but you should also consider the moon has been pummeled with asteroids for well over sixty million years just since the last extinction here on earth, more like (4 billion+) with meteors. So how can you rely on soil samples of the moon? We are still trying to figure out why some meteors/comets explode before they impact and others don't. could it be a matter of how long ago they entered earths atmosphere. the type of rock or metal they are made of, or less oxygen more hydrogen gas back then, less friction? there are a lot of things to consider. you cant go by the conditions today. I think you have to look back at what conditions existed on the earth back then.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 5:32 PM, Saul R W said:

It's entirely possible that buried in the archives of various law enforcement entities throughout Yavapai County, you might find records of some of my early experiments. 

Saul the first experiment I remember most is at about seven I decided I was going to test a wall socket with a bobby pin. It left a lasting impression on me.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Saul the first experiment I remember most is at about seven I decided I was going to test a wall socket with a bobby pin. It left a lasting impression on me.

AzNuggetBob

See how creative kids were back in the day?  With a mere shred of bent metal and a touch of electricity you were able to perform experiments in: 1) the electric arc; 2) resistance-produced heat; 3) electricity and muscle stimulation; 4) human short and long term memory, and; 5) the brand new science of induced behavior modification.

• Haha 3