Nugget Shooter Forums
AzNuggetBob

Where does gold come from? with AZ Nugget Bob...

When you're talking about a timeframe of something like 60 million years.  Anything is possible.  The continents as we know them were in different positions on the planet and at some time since then there was a 'western interior sea' that put most of Arizona under water.  The horizontal sedimentary layers that make up the walls of the Grand Canyon had to be laid in at some point too.  My guess would be when it was under water and mega flood events from another region were taking place.  Which then would mean there would have been some degree of uplift, just not the kind that builds mountains.

Monument Valley is another place that if you really sit and look, it's difficult to imagine that yearly rain storms caused the level of erosion needed to form.  Even millions of years worth.

Too bad the dinosaurs didn't have iPhones.  :Diggin_a_hole:  A few pictures would have been nice.

Luke

Edited by LukeJ
s
  • Haha 2

Could have the Grand Canyon been caused by a 500 - 1000 year event not one 100 times longer ?

• Like 2

One line of thinking was after the last Ice Age the Ice melted leaving massive lakes on the remaining Ice Caps.  When the Ice holding them back broke loose all ell broke loose.  The bases for the Great Flood in the Bible they think. 

• Like 2

My thoughts on this is that the canyon was formed mainly by erosion and not much uplift if any, if it was eroded over time or by a big event, who knows for sure, if there was uplift it's hard to imagine that everything but the water course lifted up. :idunno: 

In all mountain ranges we know they were lifted up because of the ancient riverbeds/benches that are found high and dry up on the mountains, hince my thinking the canyon wasn't.cause by uplift.

• Like 1

While where on the subject of breaking old school rules. I also don't agree with Pangaea, or Continental Drift from a single point on our planet as believed by many.
I don't think the contents were one or together on "one side" of the planet and then drifted apart. I think the contents  spread apart as the planet expanded and grew in size with the addition of more material arriving from space. I may as well get this out there before we hear it on the news. lol
I have believed in this for many years.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

My thoughts on this is that the canyon was formed mainly by erosion and not much uplift if any, if it was eroded over time or by a big event, who knows for sure, if there was uplift it's hard to imagine that everything but the water course lifted up. :idunno: 

In all mountain ranges we know they were lifted up because of the ancient riverbeds/benches that are found high and dry up on the mountains, hince my thinking the canyon wasn't.cause by uplift.

My comments on 'uplift' stem from these thoughts.....

Let's just say for the sake of the 'argument' that the water on earth is finite and there is roughly the same amount today as there was during the time when the sedimentary rocks of the Grand Canyon were formed.  In order for sediments to be laid down and eventually harden into rocks, they had to be under water at some point.  Water always finds the lowest place to rest.  There is no longer water resting on the rim of the canyon.  As uplift slowly took place, the water moved away.  Which in turn helped with more uplift not having the weight of the water pushing the land down.  The river will always continue to find it's way to the sea, as it more or less does today.  It's not just one mechanism that caused the Grand Canyon to form, but several processes happening together.

The 'uplift' that I'm attempting to describe is not so much like when one plate slides under another and causes the pressure ripples that form mountain ranges, rather an uplift caused by the reduction of weight of water.  I don't think that the current course of the Colorado river is the original course.  Rivers find a new way when things change.  The source of the Colorado river is still several thousand feet higher in elevation than the rim of the canyon.  I'm not trying to say that the uplift occurred and the river just 'stayed the course', more like they were both happening at the same time over the millennia and the Grand Canyon is the result.  My 'hypothesis' would be different if the Grand Canyon cut through a mountain range with jagged peaks.  Instead, the 'top' of the Grand Canyon is pretty much flat.  The result of sitting under water for a long period of time.  The Canyon was still formed by erosion, but there was also uplift or it would still be under water.

I have found seashell fossils on the Mogollon Rim northeast of Payson at 5500ft.  I'm quite certain that the sea wasn't 5500ft deep in that area.  There simply isn't or never was enough water to make that true.  There had to be some amount of uplift in that area too.

Is there another way that sediments can be deposited and 'glued' together without the action of water?

Once again, just my opinion.  Just putting some 'ideas' out there for the discussion.

Luke

52 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

I have found seashell fossils on the Mogollon Rim northeast of Payson at 5500ft.  I'm quite certain that the sea wasn't 5500ft deep in that area.  There simply isn't or never was enough water to make that true.  There had to be some amount of uplift in that area too.

I've also found fossils a few hundred feet underground in the mule mountains in southern AZ.  Geology can be crazy. 

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 2

What type of geo storm hit the earth could spill the water s out of the ocean is the beginning .

5 hours ago, Morlock said:

What type of life would we have on Earth if the dinosaurs hadn't become extinct?

If they were still around, I would have a whole lot more poop to pick up out of my front yard.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SanDomingoJim said:

If they were still around, I would have a whole lot more poop to pick up out of my front yard.

If the dinosaurs were still around, we'd be in the poop, not picking it up.

• Haha 3

I think it's been figured out that Man was around during the Dinosaurs time.  One of those TABOO facts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homefire said:

I think it's been figured out that Man was around during the Dinosaurs time.  One of those TABOO facts.

I'll go a step further and say that 'man' has been around long before this planet was inhabitable.  :old:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

I'll go a step further and say that 'man' has been around long before this planet was inhabitable.  :old:

That Sir is more then Possible.   At least some Semblance of Man. 

Funny-Alien-Evolution-To-Man-Picture.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, homefire said:

The possibilities increase as our knowledge and understanding increases.  Beam me up Scotty.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Not trying to jack the thread but this YOU TUBE shows just how much Science is being JACKED and hidden.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are we alien half breeds? I dont know but you have to wonder if their so dang smart, how come their space ships keep crashing here? or maybe the government is just afraid to admit that another one of their multi-billion dollar secret experimental aircraft just bit the dust. so they hide the bodies and the craft and blame in on aliens.  :idunno:
AzNuggetBob

The Grand Canyon is high but its not an intrusive push like lets say the Sierra mountain range.The area has been pushed up as a whole. that's why the sedimentary grain of the rock is horizontal and not tilted.
Much of the water from Nevada "at one time" drained through the Salton sea area in California and into the gulf of Baja. in other words I don't think both sides of the grand canyon got pushed up creating the canyon. or did it split apart as some believe. the area has been flooded more than once. there are huge granite boulders laying up on the flats around the canyon. granite boulders don't come from sedimentary rock sources. I found these huge ground smooth polished boulders up in N.Nevada laying out in the middle of the flats? they where chert and flint and hematite? there is no chert or flint anywhere in the area I found them. where did they come from? As we all know its hard to picture what it looked like back then without understanding tectonic forces. before all the mountain building in that area. and the general rule in hydraulic geology is that if the cliff sides are steep chances are it was caused by a catastrophic erosion. (flooding) not slow erosion over a long time or the cliffs sides would be sloped as the rock slowly eroded away and washed down the hill sides to the creek or river over long periods of time.There was also a lot of cliff under cutting along the sides of the canyon as the flood of boulders and water came crashing down helping create the canyon. this also caused the cliffs to fall away leaving vertical cliffs.  a lot of gravity at work after the event. The power of millions of gallons of water mixed with boulders, sand and rocks is like a wet sand blaster on steroids of biblical proportions.
You should always keep this in mind whether dredging or detecting. When water floods it tends to go in straighter lines, when it slows down it tends to meander. also keep in mind flooding moves more larger gold and lines it up than slow moving water. when I worked in large scale placer mining we always followed the gold lines or pay streaks along the creeks and rivers regardless of the benches or banks along the river. We would plow right through them following the richest older pay streaks. in most cases the gold is much older then the banks and benches, they are formed later when the water slows down after the last major flooding event.Pay streaks at different levels are caused by the size of the last major or minor flooding events.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2017 at 3:18 AM, AzNuggetBob said:

Are we alien half breeds? I dont know but you have to wonder if their so dang smart, how come their space ships keep crashing here? or maybe the government is just afraid to admit that another one of their multi-billion dollar secret experimental aircraft just bit the dust. so they hide the bodies and the craft and blame in on aliens.  :idunno:
AzNuggetBob

I've wondered the same thing. I think some people literally believe everything they read or watch on TV when it's nothing but science fiction. I worked with a guy in Nevada who spent most of his time talking about all things related to UFOs. He was a firm believer that the Blues and the Grays of sci fi lore are walking among us today. He had to have been an X- Files fanatic.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I've wondered the same thing. I think some people literally believe everything they read or watch on TV when it's nothing but science fiction. I worked with a guy in Nevada who spent most of his time talking about all things related to UFOs. He was a firm believer that the Blues and the Grays of sci fi lore are walking among us today. He had to have been an X- Files fanatic.

He probably checks the "hot sheets" ala "Men In  Black" too.. :idunno:

Swamp

• Haha 1

Am I going to discredit aliens completely, No. Or even from a microbial standpoint. just by the sheer massive amount of galaxies out there we are just starting to see with Hubble and the probable amount of planets revolving around the millions of stars in each galaxy,.
We are just starting to see all the planets floating around the stars in our galaxy, the Milky Way. take a look up in the nite sky at all the stars in our galaxy with or without an optical telescope.
You have to wonder.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Am I going to discredit aliens completely, No. Or even from a microbial standpoint. just by the sheer massive amount of galaxies out there we are just starting to see with Hubble and the probable amount of planets revolving around the millions of stars in each galaxy,.
We are just starting to see all the planets floating around the stars in our galaxy, the Milky Way. take a look up in the nite sky at all the stars in our galaxy with or without an optical telescope.
You have to wonder.
AzNuggetBob

There's a big difference between thinking life on this planet was started by alien organics, amino acids in meteorites and thinking we are being visited by invisible 9 foot tall, seven eyed, tripedal aliens who fly around in our atmosphere on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morlock said:

invisible 9 foot tall, seven eyed, tripedal aliens who fly around in our atmosphere on a daily basis.

That's a good description of something that is supposed to be invisible. :ROFL:

• Haha 2

Ya just never know until ya know, eaa?

ufo_1.gif

• Like 2