Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Where does gold come from? with AZ Nugget Bob...


Recommended Posts

Mike thanks for your comments.

Stay tuned here Mike. Ive got more info that I'm going to share here that has helped me find a lot of gold. you may have to get a bigger poke. :thumbsupanim

AzNuggetBob

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old placer cherry picking.   I said I would share more gold indicators, here is more info that has worked well for me. this trick has helped me find a lot of patches and big nuggets. When

GOD DID IT TO DRIVE MEN MAD WITH GOLD FEVER...... and it worked-John

Swamp   That nugget was the end of a great run. it was 7.3/4 ounces as I recall. I was celebrating with a cold one.I did my research, went out to a new area well known for gold. I eye balled the geo

Posted Images

You may remember me talking about popping nuggets out of drywash piles in down in Mexico.When we first went down there it was based on what Id found doing research. We almost gave up on this spot based on what history that I could find
on it and its gold mines or production history. as we were driving down there and I was new to geology but as we turned up into the mountains inland
away from the sea of Cortez within about 10 miles of where we were going according to a map I found doing research, I looked up at
the mountains and Im thinking No way,
can't be any big gold here. its all Volcanic? the map we had was vague and very few towns anywhere. just an occasional gravity feed gas station and of the
attendants I asked no one seem to know anything about gold or mining in the area.
I'll never forget. So we moved on and as we rounded a turn in the road I saw this mountain in the distance. I stopped in the road and got out with my 60x spotting scope. I knew that was it.
I pointed to it and said to my partner that's where we need to go. it was a large mountain and appeared to be a granite intrusion through
the old volcanic cones and stacked lava flows but now I think the lava flows came later. Anyway we wandered around trying to find a road that led out to it.
Finally found a long strait road that was heading in the right direction.
It was a strange area as far as western U.S. placers.
kinda reminded me of what Ive seen in photo's of the gold fields in Australia. and when we finally got there it had all the usual indicators.
Brick Red dirt,quartz and hematite,magnetic ironite nuggets scattered everywhere.Ya we were excited.
 
Anyway as we first started hunting it there was old relics of the history of the area scattered everywhere. old remains of drywashers,rusted car parts, rotted lumber.we weren't finding much hunting in the wash or the cracks in the bedrock.
the old timers had done a good job on that, we were finding some crumbs and that's about it. before we left on a whim I went up and tried hunting the drywash piles up by the top of their diggings.
Finally
found something they had left behind.
we were popping nuggets,left and right,easy digging and the trash wasn't to bad. the nuggets started getting larger as we moved up the diggings and all in the piles, they were screening them(home made punch plate) off of their drywashers into the piles.
It was almost laying out in the flats a half mile or so from the mountain but the nuggets and quartz was course? many species nuggets so I knew the source had to be close.
On the next trip down there we ended up raking down the drywash piles with our magnetic rakes and found more. we were having a field day in there while
it lasted, many oz.'s.
More later.
AzNuggetBob

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway here is another mystery solved. In case your wondering where do all those stinking boot tacks come from? When I was down in mexico I'm looking at and studying the old drywasher remnants. The course screens on top of their drywashers where made of flat tin that has been punched with what appeared to be with pick points to make the holes? some round, some square but no doubt punched not drilled.
about 3/8-1/2" holes. this made sense based on the nuggets we were finding in there drywash piles, and the cloth on the bottom bellows and the tin on top of these old drywashers we found was attached with boot tacks.
AzNuggetBob

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I find 'boot' tacks in abundance and there isn't a curl on the pointy end I know they were from early dry washers. The occasional boot tack or two found by themselves with a little curl on the end are the actual boot tacks.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Anyway here is another mystery solved. In case your wondering where do all those stinking boot tacks come from? When I was down in mexico I'm looking at and studying the old drywasher remnants. The course screens on top of their drywashers where made of flat tin that has been punched with what appeared to be with pick points to make the holes? some round, some square but no doubt punched not drilled.
about 3/8-1/2" holes. this made sense based on the nuggets we were finding in there drywash piles, and the cloth on the bottom bellows and the tin on top of these old drywashers we found was attached with boot tacks.
AzNuggetBob

That actually makes pretty good sense to me, as a couple of days ago I got a signal from what turned out to be a deep pocket on an outside bend of a wash.  There was an old drywash pile on the opposite inside bend up on the bank.  When I started digging out the pocket I was finding rusted square nails, but they had been shortened to between 1/2" to 3/4" long, and there was also boot tacks.  I picked thru about 4-5 of theses trash items when I got a real good sounding signal.  It seemed to take me forever to finally filter thru the fine dust and sand in my scoop, but when I did it was worth it.  This nugget was in among (and most likely below) all of these square nails and boot tacks.  I had found many rough-nuggets  in the same wash (down stream of this) but this nugget was different in that it was not only larger and weighed more than any of the others that I had found in this wash, but it was flat, while all of the others where roundish and had crags with magnetite lodged within them.  I have since searched the surrounding area, but not found anything more.  Gary

001.JPG

002.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark The odd ball relics you can find are always fun too. I started chasing gold back in the late 1970's. I built my first sluice box out of wood and took it up in the creeks of N.Cal and found some color and was hooked ever since. Its out there as I'm sure you've seen on the forum. I can tell you like most things the more you learn about it, the more gold your going to find and with a detector you never know whats going to turn up. Good luck. AzNuggetBob

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary JMO but you may want to look up in the tribs in that area. you asked about the coordes on some of my patches in that area. they are not all in Lynx,  the creek. but tribs to it. this was the only photo I could find right off hand but if you look at the nugget around my neck, found up in one of those tribs right off the lower end.

AzNuggetBob

 

 

IMG_NEW.jpg

Edited by AzNuggetBob
Photo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pic AzNuggetBob! Nice nuggets! What machine are you holding? 

I have a question for you as well as anyone else that can contribute. What geologic zone or zones do you prefer to detect in? Meaning what zones have you had the best luck in finding nuggets so I might find one? 

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark that is my Fisher Gold Bug and it has helped me find many pounds of gold.
The bike is my 500 yamaha, I named it the great white knuckler. :ROFL::D

Gold

http://geology.com/usgs/gold/


My Favorite Bedrocks for Nugget Gold. ( More recent outcrops)
I'm always on the lookout for these bedrocks and float.

Granite

http://geology.com/rocks/granite.shtml

https://www.google.com/search?q=granite&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8


Gneiss  

http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig/metrockindex/rocpicschist.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gneiss&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8


Schist

http://geology.com/rocks/schist.shtml


https://www.google.com/search?q=Gneiss&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8


Look for these bedrocks in any combination especially when intersected by Iron stained Quartz, and/or Veins,Vugs,Stringers,Dikes of oxidized Magnetite,Hematite,limonite or float nuggets of these minerals.

http://geology.com/minerals/hematite.shtml

As a good friend of mine, Jim Straight would say "Follow the Drywashers". you should get one of his books too.
I've found some of my best patches by following the diggings left by the old timers. If they took the time to hand stack the wash for any distance, they where finding good gold. and there may be a nugget patch above the wash where the old timers worked. that's why I get excited when I find old hand stacked or toss out piles in washes.
Pay close attention to the washes your prospecting. those old hand stacks can be hidden and almost blend back into the washes or be covered up with leaves, pine needles ETC. look for classified piles of loose gravel too.
The nice thing about drywashing and detecting is, you get more gold! the gold may be there but too small to detect, and a detector is always nice to check your coarse drywash piles too just to make sure your not screening/rolling off any big nuggets.


AzNuggetBob

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks AzNuggetBob! I will defiantly be on the lookout for those minerals and and old prospecting sites. I'm sure the great white knuckler got you back into some great spots.  I was thinking of doing the same thing. Thanks again,

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt Mark until I put the smaller rear sprocket it I used to call it the rear tire eater. I got pulled over by a sheriff one time, well when he caught up after I decided to stop.
never heard him? He said I clocked you at over 100MPH I said cool I dont have a speedometer. :D It was on a county dirt road, he let me go. Nice guy. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Bob ... Thanks for all those rocky websites! it has helped me figure out a couple of curious rocks I have found in the past. You writing a book yet? ... If not you should!

Mike F

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

...The bike is my 500 yamaha, I named it the great white knuckler...
AzNuggetBob

Much love for the 500 Thumpers..
A bud of mine had the Honda ver & with the stock sprocket on
that sucker would climb the side of buildings..!

Swamp

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:20 AM, AzNuggetBob said:

Gary JMO but you may want to look up in the tribs in that area. you asked about the coordes on some of my patches in that area. they are not all in Lynx,  the creek. but tribs to it. this was the only photo I could find right off hand but if you look at the nugget around my neck, found up in one of those tribs right off the lower end.

AzNuggetBob

 

 

IMG_NEW.jpg

Bob, That is one nice looking nugget,..  the other one too for that matter.  I am well familiar with the tribs, but above you stated:  "found up in one of those tribs right off the lower end".  By "lower end"  are you talking about south of present-day Prescott Valley, or going upstream from Prescott Valley toward Lynx lake ??   I think that every thing south of Prescott Valley (from Fain lake ) is presently Private property.  Some parts going upstream are also Private Property.  It has changed a lot over the years.  Gary

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2017 at 8:19 AM, Mike Furness said:

Hey Bob ... Thanks for all those rocky websites! it has helped me figure out a couple of curious rocks I have found in the past. You writing a book yet? ... If not you should!

Mike F

Mike Im thinking I'm going to put my book on hold for now and just help people find gold on this forum for now. I do appreciate your support on it. And if you want to give some tips on bass fishing maybe we can work something out on finding gold.

 

On 3/30/2017 at 8:52 AM, Swampstomper Al said:

Much love for the 500 Thumpers..
A bud of mine had the Honda ver & with the stock sprocket on
that sucker would climb the side of buildings..!

Swamp

Swamp Ya My dad owned the Harley Davidson shop in ventura county ca. when I was growing up. His favorite hobby was hill climbing on Harley's. I guess it kinda runs in the family, well sort of. I do love the two strokers too but prefer the thumpers on the long flats. before to long I may need a 500cc honda trail step thru. :thumbsupanim

 

 

 

On 3/30/2017 at 3:11 PM, GDM/PV said:

Bob, That is one nice looking nugget,..  the other one too for that matter.  I am well familiar with the tribs, but above you stated:  "found up in one of those tribs right off the lower end".  By "lower end"  are you talking about south of present-day Prescott Valley, or going upstream from Prescott Valley toward Lynx lake ??   I think that every thing south of Prescott Valley (from Fain lake ) is presently Private property.  Some parts going upstream are also Private Property.  It has changed a lot over the years.  Gary

Gary Yes to both your questions and please keep your questions specific. Thanks

 

 

AzNuggetBob

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

AzNuggetBob, What metal detector do you prefer to use nowadays? Do you have few places you can point me to so I can see some of the bedrock and float that you prefer? I live here in north Phx. 

Thanks for any info you can provide.

m

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark
For Gold, I like and use/used the older Gold Bug and the GB2 and most all of the mid range PI Minelabs from 2000-2100v2-5000's and is a good place to start.
I haven't tried the SDC2300 or GPZ7000 yet.
I supplied several photo links to I.D. these types of bedrock. I suggest you study and learn to visually I.D. these minerals.
If you look at most of the well known gold mining areas around Az and many other gold mining areas, you will find them.
AzNuggetBob

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

AzNuggetBob,

Thanks for the info. I will keep on reviewing the links as well as continue diving into Jim Straights book  "Follow the Drywashers".

One thing I am having a problem with is comparing a picture of a rock and seeing one out in the desert. I do plan on traveling to different mining locations to 

get a feel for the mineralization and outcrops. 

Does the bigger float mean bigger nuggets? Does the size of the float have any connection with the size of the nugget?  

Thanks again,

M

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark you may want go to a rock and gem store and you get small samples of the rock your looking for and use it for reference while out in the field. they don't cost very much for common rock types.

On your other question. " Does the bigger float mean bigger nuggets? Does the size of the float have any connection with the size of the nugget?"  

That's a tricky question. you can have lets say a 1/4" thick quartz stringer that if the gold is being formed within the quartz stringer obviously not enough space to form a larger thick nugget, but I have seen large thin sheets of gold come from them.
But you can also have a six foot thick quartz vein producing gold,that doesn't mean it will produce 6' thick nuggets.
So I think it helps influence the size of the nuggets but can't be relied upon.
It also depends on whether its primary or secondary type deposits. Most nugget size gold is formed in cavities/vugs filling cracks and voids in the host rock. most crystalline gold grows in cavities or within clay's or precipitating out of solutions in or passing though cavities in host rock at a point where the conditions are just right..
AzNuggetBob

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2017 at 9:47 PM, AzNuggetBob said:

You may remember me talking about popping nuggets out of drywash piles in down in Mexico.When we first went down there it was based on what Id found doing research. We almost gave up on this spot based on what history that I could find
on it and its gold mines or production history. as we were driving down there and I was new to geology but as we turned up into the mountains inland
away from the sea of Cortez within about 10 miles of where we were going according to a map I found doing research, I looked up at
the mountains and Im thinking No way,
can't be any big gold here. its all Volcanic? the map we had was vague and very few towns anywhere. just an occasional gravity feed gas station and of the
attendants I asked no one seem to know anything about gold or mining in the area.
I'll never forget. So we moved on and as we rounded a turn in the road I saw this mountain in the distance. I stopped in the road and got out with my 60x spotting scope. I knew that was it.
I pointed to it and said to my partner that's where we need to go. it was a large mountain and appeared to be a granite intrusion through
the old volcanic cones and stacked lava flows but now I think the lava flows came later. Anyway we wandered around trying to find a road that led out to it.
Finally found a long strait road that was heading in the right direction.
It was a strange area as far as western U.S. placers.
kinda reminded me of what Ive seen in photo's of the gold fields in Australia. and when we finally got there it had all the usual indicators.
Brick Red dirt,quartz and hematite,magnetic ironite nuggets scattered everywhere.Ya we were excited.
 
Anyway as we first started hunting it there was old relics of the history of the area scattered everywhere. old remains of drywashers,rusted car parts, rotted lumber.we weren't finding much hunting in the wash or the cracks in the bedrock.
the old timers had done a good job on that, we were finding some crumbs and that's about it. before we left on a whim I went up and tried hunting the drywash piles up by the top of their diggings.
Finally
found something they had left behind.
we were popping nuggets,left and right,easy digging and the trash wasn't to bad. the nuggets started getting larger as we moved up the diggings and all in the piles, they were screening them(home made punch plate) off of their drywashers into the piles.
It was almost laying out in the flats a half mile or so from the mountain but the nuggets and quartz was course? many species nuggets so I knew the source had to be close.
On the next trip down there we ended up raking down the drywash piles with our magnetic rakes and found more. we were having a field day in there while
it lasted, many oz.'s.
More later.
AzNuggetBob

I loved reading this story! What a great tale of discovery, hard work, and research that paid off.

Thanks for letting me tag along on your adventure in Mexico.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2017 at 9:47 PM, AzNuggetBob said:

Mark that is my Fisher Gold Bug and it has helped me find many pounds of gold.
The bike is my 500 yamaha, I named it the great white knuckler. :ROFL::D

Gold

http://geology.com/usgs/gold/


My Favorite Bedrocks for Nugget Gold. ( More recent outcrops)
I'm always on the lookout for these bedrocks and float.

Granite

http://geology.com/rocks/granite.shtml

https://www.google.com/search?q=granite&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8


Gneiss  

http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig/metrockindex/rocpicschist.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gneiss&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8


Schist

http://geology.com/rocks/schist.shtml


https://www.google.com/search?q=Gneiss&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8


Look for these bedrocks in any combination especially when intersected by Iron stained Quartz, and/or Veins,Vugs,Stringers,Dikes of oxidized Magnetite,Hematite,limonite or float nuggets of these minerals.

http://geology.com/minerals/hematite.shtml

As a good friend of mine, Jim Straight would say "Follow the Drywashers". you should get one of his books too.
I've found some of my best patches by following the diggings left by the old timers. If they took the time to hand stack the wash for any distance, they where finding good gold. and there may be a nugget patch above the wash where the old timers worked. that's why I get excited when I find old hand stacked or toss out piles in washes.
Pay close attention to the washes your prospecting. those old hand stacks can be hidden and almost blend back into the washes or be covered up with leaves, pine needles ETC. look for classified piles of loose gravel too.
The nice thing about drywashing and detecting is, you get more gold! the gold may be there but too small to detect, and a detector is always nice to check your coarse drywash piles too just to make sure your not screening/rolling off any big nuggets.


AzNuggetBob

 

 

 

Thanks for the links as I really enjoyed scrolling through them and learning a bit more; there's always more to learn, for me at least . . .

All the best,

Lanny

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lanny in AB said:

Thanks for the links as I really enjoyed scrolling through them and learning a bit more; there's always more to learn, for me at least . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks Lanny Im  going to keep writing these adventures. there is a lot to to be learned from them.  Good to see your back here too.

AzNugetBob

Just now, Marky Mark said:

AzNuggetBob,,

Thanks again for your input!

M

Mark

I like your thinking. If you have any more questions, lets hear them.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

AzNuggetBob,

Nice to hear from you. I have been out several time is the last couple weeks on just short day trips. I went to some of the GPAA claims as well as some spots I picked myself.

The Gpaa claims that I went to were mostly volcanic rocks with an array of other mineralized rocks. I found a few small artifacts but mostly bullets and hot rocks. I did find several dry-washer worked areas and remembered to hit those areas for gold they may have missed. 

The spots I picked myself were based on geologic areas that I wanted to see for myself. Early Proterozoic Metavolcanic and Metasedimentary Rocks, Early Proterozoic and Tertiary to Late Cretaceous Granitic Rocks. Same items found, hot rocks and bullets. 

Now I want to see areas with more gneiss and schist. Do you have any areas you can recommend for gneiss and schist?

Thanks Again,

M

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...