Nugget Shooter Forums
AzNuggetBob

Where does gold come from? with AZ Nugget Bob...

post-25522-0-31074100-1436537606_thumb.j

Bob, following the old timers down to where they stopped digging and up against the vein on both sides of the dig. Still have not gotten "under" the ledge.

Jack thanks for more info and the photo.
Make sure you test the wall or host rock separate of the quartz vein itself. it can and often is richer than the vein itself and in larger amounts by volume in a mineralized zone rather than in the quartz vein. the quartz vein looks to be about 4-6" thick. in some cases quartz veins are nothing more than a conduit for the deposit but wall rock can be more porous than the vein itself and precipitate more gold. it looks like the vein shows signs of alteration, some folding and or possibly some shearing? its hard to tell from a single photo. also if you wet the area first with water its easier to I.D. the rock formation and see a lot more details in a photo without being there. I should have mentioned this sooner.

Many times the gold that is present in the (wall rock) is the source of the gold in the vein depending on the deposit type, but may be so finely divided its not visible to the naked eye or even a 10X and sometimes requires assaying to confirm its presence and oz.p.t.
surface gravity sampling is only a preliminary test at best. but its one way to give an idea where to concentrate your efforts. have you traced the vein for a distance. at this point I would open up and sample that hole more.
(Above ground) in remote areas Ive found a gas powered jack-hammer works well. (check local regulations) but dont use them in a shaft, drift or even a deep surface stope! without proper ventilation.
Im just trying to give you some ideas you may or may not have already considered.

AzNuggetBob

attachicon.gifHS SE 1a.jpg

Bob, following the old timers down to where they stopped digging and up against the vein on both sides of the dig. Still have not gotten "under" the ledge.

:pop:

Yer havin' too much fun Jack.

Nice place! :brows:

My back hurts watching that. 5 gallon bucket at a time.

Nice video Jack.
Looking at your video that cap over the vein looks to be alluvial fill, see the rounded granite boulder embedded in the loose soil just above the hole and hanging wall. see that big foot thick quartz vein knob protruding out just to the left of the hole,it looks like its loaded with silver/galena. Id knock a chunk of that off if you can and have it tested. looks like you have a little bit of everything going on in there, offshoots,veinlets,two main fissure veins with stringers heading all over in there. is that blue and green coloring in that small quartz piece your holding in your hand at the end of the video? that is some really good looking quartz in general with lots of mineralization. the green flaky host rock down on the right under the primary vein looks to be chlorite schist. I'd like to see some assays on several different samples from there.
keep us updated, would luv to see some new raw gold in the vein photo's. good luck to ya Jack.

AZMark

I've been watching this too. Pluto has always been a top twenty mystery for me.
I never thought I'd see close ups with HD photo's of Pluto from the New Horizons spacecraft.

It appears to be a solid planet with evolving geologic features and ice. strange looking moons too. 5 of them. It is lacking one of four prerequisites that classifies it as a planet. (dwarf planet)you have to wonder what type of minerals they all have? and what are those huge black spots down on the bottom of Pluto? I heard its going to take over a year just to relay all the data back to earth from a single fly-by. I read the space crafts ETA was only about 72 seconds off, after traveling for about 9.5 years and three billion miles from Earth, that's amazing.
The first few frames in this animated photo collage starts with our land based telescope photos of Pluto and ends with the New Horizons spacecraft photos.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_feature/public/thumbnails/image/pluto-observations-through-the-years.gif?itok=A_WsMQ7f

AzNuggetBob

AzNuggetBob,

I can remember being called to the auditorium in grade school so everyone could listen to the radio broadcast of the moon landing. At the time I hoped I would live long enough to possibly see pictures of Mars someday. I am truly lucky to have seen this moment and so many others.

Now I hope I live long enough to see my first nugget. Ha ha (research and persistance will pay off)

Sorry I dont have a pic to show everybody, I'm a simple caveman after all, I wanted to see if I understand correctly the coments on gold being likely in the matrix (depending on many factors) surrounding a quartz vein. I came across a 6' x 6' hole on a ridge near Poland junction which has a "rusty" quartz vein the size of the duct work in my attic. The vein itself appears to run S.W. to N.E. on the surface. My question is how much contact matrix is worth sampling? 6 inches? less? It appears that whomever dug the hole removed several feet on either side and below the vein. I tend to bring way too much material home and want to be smarter about sampling. Wish I could tell you what king of rock it is. I will find out for sure next time and pass that on.

AZMark.

AZMark, great article this month in ICMJ about just what you are asking.

AzNuggetBob,

I can remember being called to the auditorium in grade school so everyone could listen to the radio broadcast of the moon landing. At the time I hoped I would live long enough to possibly see pictures of Mars someday. I am truly lucky to have seen this moment and so many others.

Now I hope I live long enough to see my first nugget. Ha ha (research and persistance will pay off)

Sorry I dont have a pic to show everybody, I'm a simple caveman after all, I wanted to see if I understand correctly the coments on gold being likely in the matrix (depending on many factors) surrounding a quartz vein. I came across a 6' x 6' hole on a ridge near Poland junction which has a "rusty" quartz vein the size of the duct work in my attic. The vein itself appears to run S.W. to N.E. on the surface. My question is how much contact matrix is worth sampling? 6 inches? less? It appears that whomever dug the hole removed several feet on either side and below the vein. I tend to bring way too much material home and want to be smarter about sampling. Wish I could tell you what king of rock it is. I will find out for sure next time and pass that on.

AZMark.

Mark N.E trend is normal for that area. sampling?

Gravity separation sample: A 5 gal. bucket. (better wet than dry)visual results, 10x, marginal at best. you may be walking away from some rich ore, just cant see it.

Spectrographic analysis: A couple ounces of well mixed and crushed sample. somewhat accurate. you do the math as you wave it over the crushed sample. (mixed readings) a fixed position over a single target works best.

Assay: a few grams of a well crushed and mixed sample. very accurate. If done right.

Atomic absorption spectroscopy : a few grams of a well crushed and mixed sample,most accurate for entire sample. wider range of metals.

less margin for error.

Ive used all these methods and I'll take an AAS any day.

Hope this helps.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Apparently two guys in NYC think gold comes from the sewers. Not sure how big a nugget it would take to make that a great idea.

If you 'doo' decide to detect, be sure and set all the 'pots' to '#2'. :idunno:

Apparently two guys in NYC think gold comes from the sewers. Not sure how big a nugget it would take to make that a great idea.

If you 'doo' decide to detect, be sure and set all the 'pots' to '#2'. :idunno:

A lot of rings do!

Well like Ive said in the past. a lot people think all the gold came from Zales until they come here. :rolleyes::D AzNuggetBob

It comes from nutrinos bombarding the earth from the sun. Everytime we haveabig sun spot from the sun hit the earth, it makes gold. Sounds good anyway. Grubstake

Gruby I'll go along with that until someone proves otherwise. AzNuggetBob

How does nature move a river? it only takes a few inches of lift. This is one way old placers become abandoned leaving them and their contents high and dry. (look for well rounded gravels high on a hillside or even on top of a ridge). There are a lot of so-called blind faults out there. many old rivers formed along old fault lines that are now dormant. Abandoned long ago as the new rivers cut a new channel heading a new direction.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/medieval-earthquake-moved-italian-river-12-miles-n411101

AzNuggetBob

Interesting Bob.

Rivers cut new paths all the time.

Your right homefire, they do change paths all the time. boulder stack up, earthquake lift, shift, volcanic pyroclastic flow blocking and diverting. the key is knowing what to look for to find them. I think the Hassayampa river Az. used to run on the west side of Rich Hill. take a good look on Google Earth. I also think the river change was caused by a more recent volcanic eruption east of (Peoples valley) and also caused that huge pyroclastic aluvial fan below Stanton. :) AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 3

AzNuggetBob,

I'd like your opinion on a particular spot if I could send it to you.

Mark

Sure Mark just PM it to me. AzNuggetBob

I've noticed terraces partway up slopes in some areas that could be old stream channels, related to existing intermittent stream drainage..

How does nature move a river? it only takes a few inches of lift. This is one way old placers become abandoned leaving them and their contents high and dry. (look for well rounded gravels high on a hillside or even on top of a ridge). There are a lot of so-called blind faults out there. many old rivers formed along old fault lines that are now dormant. Abandoned long ago as the new rivers cut a new channel heading a new direction.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/medieval-earthquake-moved-italian-river-12-miles-n411101

AzNuggetBob

Yep I am just enjoying the heck out of the educational worth of this thread! :thumbsupanim

• Like 2

Bear with me here for a moment, I've been watching discussions on quantum physics, and the standard model and I see parallels in prospecting.

Am I correct in in saying that, research and planning is equal to understanding the 'probability' of the wave/particle experiment with electrons?

And the Standard model applies to "gold is where you find it" and experience in the field?

That the bridge between these two makes the difference between overall success and dumb luck?

I dont want to gloss over the fundamentals and not get the "why" it works part. As in, if I drop a glass and it breaks...why doesn't it ever fall back together...

It seems like I need to factor in the probability, the fact of 150+ years of mining, the size of gold typically found and the time I have to look for it. Some of you guys make it look easy. I know it evolves into the 'Way of the Gold Warrior'. :D

Grasshopper.

• Like 1