Nugget Shooter Forums

Where does gold come from? with AZ Nugget Bob...

AzNuggetBob

A relationship due to density?

How about in a liquid form?

Gold is surely more dense than quartz, yet they seem to travel together.

:89:

:Diggin_a_hole: Maybe the silicates carry the "dross" of the Au. :idunno:

Steel Pan

I think the only common denominator between gold and quartz is hot solutions at different temperatures,pressures and the

chemical processes they incounter during their formation.

there are several different types of gold processes and formations.

and range from chemical,PH shift(acidic to alkaline),ion exchange,(+/-)electrolysis to gravity or even

just pressure and temperature changes can cause precipitation.

In my opinion In some cases underground the pressures are so great gravity doesn't matter.

These processes are hard to recreate in a lab but not impossible.

gold can be carried and deposited from pregnant solutions, molten, or even smoke vapor.

Some volcanoes are probably spewing out tons of gold in the form of smoke,if you could ever

figure out a way to trap it.(thats why there going after some smokers on the ocean floor)its already trapped in solutions

and precipitating around the vent.

I think the gold and other metals from some volcanoe clouds also condensates into rain clouds and comes back down

in the form of rain,and may be what helps create surface gold pockets near volcanic activity.

some volcanos create their own lightning storms. could they be zapping the pregnant rain solutions causing

electrolysis in the iron surface pockets on the ground?

but regardless back into the earth cycle again.round and round. just :m2c::)

AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Specifically, from stars that are about 8 times as massive as Sol and greater. One of the many reasons why we know Sol is a third-generation star is because Earth has gold, and Sol's spectroscopy shows gold absorption bands. Sol's mass limits its ability to fuse elements heavier than iron. It is "hard" for stars to fuse hydrogen into heavier elements up to copper, but once they produce copper they are "good to go" on the heavier elements up to what their internal pressures (and therefore temperatures) can achieve: after that point they can no longer fuse heavier elements.

The two stars that preceded Sol, about 4.55 billion years ago, fused enough hydrogen to lower their internal core's pressure enough to shear off several outer layers ("went nova") in several sequences, spewing heavy elements to this region of space where they gravitationally attracted to elements forged by other stars. When the Solar System condensed, most of the gold went into the molten cores of the planets. Iron also settled into the cores, and under pressure (and therefore heat) the iron in Earth crystallized, forcing the denser gold upward and out of the core. There is likely a golden layer that covers the iron core. Much larger plants will have other elements crystallized at their cores, such as Saturn having crystallized carbon (diamond).

Vulcanism, high pressure, and mineral-bound water condensed gold on to relatively cooler surfaces that had (and have) adequate atomic bonding matrices that hold grab and hold the gold, collecting in gaps and fissures: quartz being the best material, pyrite and calcite being the next best. Orogeny brings that gold to the surface and crust of the planet.

The best way to find gold is therefore to look for Quartz, then Pyrite, then Calcite, then Limonite (an iron). The black sand associated with placer gold finds usually contain a mixture of Sericite, Chlorite, Hematite, Garnet, Barite, Magnetite, Epidote, Siderite, and Ankerite. Most of these minerals condensed ("clumped together") the same or similar ways way gold and silver do.

Unless one is a Young Earth Creationist: then the answer is "The gods did it."

• Like 3

A question that's been bugging me so i'll ask...Does the tectonic action bring the gold to the surface in liquid form or solid form?

My bet Rim is that it's just in the mix and gets into solution of other soups and drops out at the right pressures and Temps. We know that Arsenic , cyanide and other elements can whittle gold into Solution. Chlorine and the Right Acids can force it into a solution.

Edited by homefire

A question that's been bugging me so i'll ask...Does the tectonic action bring the gold to the surface in liquid form or solid form?

Gold comes to the surface and near surface due to orogeny (upward lifting of crust), in a solid but liquid form. By "liquid" I mean gold suspended in a water solution that was and is very hot. The hot water cooled at or hear the surface, and the suspended gold condensed (precipitated) against relatively cooler surfaces. The mineral SiO2 was and is often in solution with gold and silver, and when the solution precipitates, the SiO2 turns into quartz.

This is one reason why gold is found in geologically active areas. In North America the gold-bearing regions are also earth quake zones.

Its not that hard to put silica/quartz into a solution. Hydrofluoric and even

Hydrochloric are a super strong acid. HCl or Hfl will dissolve most of the material around the gold,

such as the quartz or even iron stone over time.

the reaction is speeded up if the solution is warm or hot. but the hotter it is (to a point) the better it works, but with more fumes. without high pressure the fluids vaporize at lower temps.

If your going to try this in a lab or at home do not breath the fumes. do this in a well ventilated area or outside.

My point is, its not hard for nature to do the same thing, not as fast as concentrated acids eating the host rock and freeing up the gold floating it in the solutions.

but nature has had plenty of time, and high pressure also accelerates this process with permeation of host rock.

Now you want to get the quartz back out? simply reverse the process. If the acidic solution is cooled and/or change the PH by neutralizing the acid with the addition of alkalin compounds and the quartz will precipitate/crystallize back out and form a solid again.(Quartz vein)in a fault (moving crack in bedrock),bedrock vug or even in a small contact zone.

this can also be done by evaporation but the crystallization won't form as well if the PH is not correct.

And now the million dollar question. Is gold first to form or quartz?

To me it doesn't really matter because gold can be found without any quartz at all.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

I'm no scientist but I would like to know, if gold came from outer space then how do we explain the load gold we mine hundreds of feet deep in the earth's bedrock? I can see maybe some placer gold being from outer space but a lot of the time the source of the placer is found and mined out of the load right? Just seems wierd.

Pressure Rim Pressure ... Tremendous pressure on the core condenses the hot liquid to a solid ... Just a wild a$$ guess on my part though! :)

Mike F

Mike I think your very close. AzNuggetBob

nugget108 There are so many ways gold forms or deposits that we know of, I think this thread is going to continue for a long time. But hopefully the more we learn the more we find.

AzNuggetBob

Do you think vacuum comes into play with the cooling down of the gold? I can picture it in my mind where those little veinlett's or fingers run thru the quartz.

I'm no scientist but I would like to know, if gold came from outer space....

Everything on Earth came from outer space. The issue is the time frame involved. Geologists would expect all gold to be near the center of Earth (and most of the rocky planets) because of the density of gold; since we find some gold near the surface, in the Earth's crust, it is likely that Earth was bombarded with gold after the crust cooled. Orogeny does not explain how the gold got into the crust: magma "ought to" have extremely little gold in it.

To picture the problem, think of a large apple and compare it to Earth. Earth's crust is as thin, relative to the planet, as an apple's skin is to the whole apple. Earth's crust is extremely thin. Magma rises due to convection just below the crust, and even though gold is denser than other material (such as silicates that eventually for granites) localized pockets of gold can "float" on less dense magma up towards the surface.

The problem is that, as rare as gold in Earth's crust is, there is more than geologists think there "should" be. This is why some geologists think some, and perhaps most, of the gold in Earth's crust came to Earth after the crust formed.

Once the gold was in the crust, orogeny and vulcanism condensed and "clumped" the gold into deposits that humanity later, after about three billion years, for some odd reason lust after.

I think pressure can come to play but How is a Vacuum going to be created?

When you go from hot to cold, that creates a vacuum providing you have an air tight container to hold the vacuum. Maybe quartz could hold a vacuum, don't know.

When you go from hot to cold, that creates a vacuum providing you have an air tight container to hold the vacuum. Maybe quartz could hold a vacuum, don't know.

earthquake

Rim I see your point but at least in a volcanic type deposit Im not so sure that it ever got cold enough for vacuum to come into play?

I cant discount it either.

Most gold preciptitation in a lab enviroment is in the hundreds of degrees. closer to boiling temps.

I think its possible it (gold) could be sucked into veins but

Im thinking more a pressure situation. but I will say all ideas accepted, ya never know when someone is going to see something new.

AzNuggetBob

Hello Bob,

I was just thinking if the quartz is like a container and if it has only one or several inlet(s) and no outlets, then vacuum might come into play.

Also one other thing, when i think of earth, i think of earth. Whatever happened before earth is history IMO. It's just speculation and theories as to where the gold came from. I should write one up and tell everyone gold came from Pluto and make me some money...haha!

TC!

Rim

Edited by Rimshot

My thinking is Gold in Solution just travels the same as Quarts. Maybe with it and the Acid solutions caring it. Here in NM high levels of Arsic and other nasty stuff are associated with Gold Deposits