Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mn90403

Check Your Coil Cover

The other night I was doing my normal beach detecting. I mostly use a 3030 and have added the larger coil.

The beaches have been 'sanded in' over the last few trips and I know the targets are going to be deep. So I'm going along looking for targets and it sounds like multiple targets, fuzzy and without the depth I was expecting. I would get near some transmissions and they were amplified and the machine would not level out in those areas. I was getting bored and then I struck upon an idea.

I needed to clean the coil cover.

I took it off with my fingers and didn't find too much sand or trash because I always rinse it while detecting and after. I inspected the coil and connectors and replaced the cover.

Voila! My fuzzy night was now clear and the coil sounded 'new' again.

I didn't see anything when I took the cover off but something had been trapped near the coil and now it was gone.

I can't tape this coil like my desert coils to keep the black sand and trash out but the reason I am posting this tip is to Check Your Coil Cover!

Some people on the beach will not use a cover and they just epoxy the coil.

Mitchel, a friend uses soft silicon on all the cracks and puts a dab in the the middle on the inside...it is a pain but you won't have black sand builsing up inside the cover...

I just take the coil cover off, I do this because I don't grind my coil on the sand and rocks...coin or ring hunting that 1/2 ich extra depth is of no importance to me.

fred

Good tip Mitchel,

Years ago , I had a Minelab sd2200, I would spray truck bed liner on the bottom of the coils, and use several coatings, just for that reason. I would get a lot of black sands built up in the coil covers, I got tired of taking them off and cleaning them.

Dave

I would spray truck bed liner on the bottom of the coils, and use several coatings, just for that reason. I would get a lot of black sands built up in the coil covers, I got tired of taking them off and cleaning them.

Any particular brand of coating spray you would recommend? How often did you have to re-coat after using the coils out in the field?

I wanted to title the thread 'Does your coil have cataracts?' or 'Do you hear but don't understand your coil?'

These are the comparisons I can make to a piece of magnetic 'stuff' laying next to the coil. The 3030 is designed to separate targets but it can't do it if one is sitting on the coil!

Other machines suffer the same fate. If your samples aren't clear then 'Houston, we have a problem.'

Best sealer is GE door/window silicone sealant. UV protection so the sun does not degrade it at all. Ez to remove as just rubbery and peels off. I run over the seam with a bead and good to go for many years. Fast,cheap and waterproof. John PS-excuse sloppy job as had a hole in the other cover and replaced by campfire with a few celebratory libations in me....too many from results :4chsmu1:

post-23710-0-31970200-1418395878_thumb.j

Thanks for the brand name, John...some things should be done sober...

The solid covers are easy to seal...

The ctx and other coils have miles of cracks to seal it is a total pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fred

John,

I can ignore your sealing job completely because of what is sitting on your coil!

I hope you don't leave those there when you are hunting for new gold ... :tisk-tisk:

You must tell people that it doesn't help to have 'starter' nuggets on your coil before you go out. :thumbsupanim

I guess this means you don't use tape.

Mitchel