Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reno Chris

Finding Bigger gold with the SDC 2300

Its well known that the SDC is finding a lot of small gold, but the truth is that it can also be used to find some larger types of specimen gold where it also has an advantage over other detectors. Metal detectors work by seeing the eddy currents created by a magnetic field coming out of the detector’s coil. The eddy currents which are created in porous, mossy or wiry pieces of gold decay and disappear much more quickly than those which are created in solid pieces of gold of the same weight. This type of specimen gold behaves much more like a very small nugget even though the amount of gold contained within the specimen is quite significant. The new MPF technology found in the SDC 2300 allows it to begin searching for eddy currents much more quickly than previous pulse induction detectors. This accounts for its ability to find small gold, but also allows the SDC 2300 to be very hot on specimen gold, and that is why I am writing this blog post. If you want to find large pieces of gold with your SDC 2300 that have been missed by others or could not have been detected with previous detectors, you need to be looking in places where specimen gold abounds or the gold being found is of the mossy, prickly, porous or wiry variety. So the next time you are thinking about where to prospect with your SDC 2300, remember that if you choose places rich in specimen gold you may be finding some very rich specimens with your detector.
These nuggets were all iron stained ugly specimens a few weeks back but spent a lot of time soaking in acid. The larger nugget I found a few weeks back - plus a few more found a couple weeks before that. Basically the last two trips I made. Biggest piece is 0.57 ounces, total is 0.9 ounces.

post-187-0-06258900-1418251924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 4

Thanks for the details Chris.

That big one sure is neat!

Nice gold!

Great post and nice gold my friend.... Yup I like this detector as well...

Great lookn' gold for sure :thumbsupanim John

NIIIICE rocks!

Edited by El Dorado

Great looking gold and a great educational post Chris, thank you! Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too. Safe travels my friend.

I will be at the GPAA gold show in Mesa, AZ at the end of February (Feb 28-March1 at the Mesa Convention center). Hope some of you guys come by the ICMJ Prospecting Magazine booth where I will be and say hello.

I will be there as well and look forward to seeing ya again Chris....

look forward to seeing ya again Chris....

Look forward to seeing you again my friend. Will you be at the Pomona GPAA show?

Some years that is the only time I get to see you and catch up with the past year ... see ya there! Mike F

I'm hoping to tag along with Chris if he can put up with me, so may finally get to meet you guys!

Will look forward to it Steve

That form of gold looks to be very fragile. I'm wondering.... is it consistent with a certain location? and when you are hunting in that location is that the only type of gold you will find? Also how do you prevent damaging while you are digging it? Stay wide and clear of the target? Thanks for this post.

strick

Strick - As dug, these nuggets were all cemented with iron oxides and a little quartz. As it comes out of the ground, the gold was fairly sturdy but only a little of the gold was showing. After all the iron oxides are eaten away so one can see all the gold, they become a bit more fragile, but a lot prettier - they are kind of like the ugly duckling. The bigger piece and the two on the right are from one place in Nevada and yes they are characteristic of that area, though not too far away solid nuggets are found. The smaller piece below the bigger nugget is from California and that area produced nice solid nuggets, not really specimens. As far as I know, its the only specimen from that locality. Some specimens come out of the ground pretty, but some do not and need some treatment to bring out their beauty.