Nugget Shooter Forums

CA Coins and Relics -1850's homesite = Bust dime, Half Dime & Relics

Great finds...... But, I cringed every time you rubbed them to see what they were.... What were you thinking?? Luckily, no $10,000 coins.

We get that all the time.

What was I thinking? I guess I was thinking "Hey look at this cool coin, I'm going to see what it is and get the date off it!!" :)

Why?

What I can see immediately and what you can not see on the video, is the condition of the coin when it comes out of the ground. The Franc was toasted and we knew it, the bust (even though we did not know what it was) was well worn and it was obvious. The half dime had nice detail but was tarnished black with "environmental damage" so I am not in fear of ruining any of the coins that we find. When we find a coin that we think is valuable or we can't tell it's condition,we slow down and inspect it before giving it the rub treatment.

Also, the coin is not going anywhere but in my display so if I scratch a nice coin I will let my kids worry about it!! LOL

I have found hundreds of silver coins from the ground and even the finest detailed ones I have found still have environmental damage or micro scratches that are easily seen under the loupe. So, hopefully I never ruin a $10,000 coin and if I do I guess I will just settle for the $8,000 I get for it!! ;)

We get that all the time.

What was I thinking? I guess I was thinking "Hey look at this cool coin, I'm going to see what it is and get the date off it!!" :)

Why?

What I can see immediately and what you can not see on the video, is the condition of the coin when it comes out of the ground. The Franc was toasted and we knew it, the bust (even though we did not know what it was) was well worn and it was obvious. The half dime had nice detail but was tarnished black with "environmental damage" so I am not in fear of ruining any of the coins that we find. When we find a coin that we think is valuable or we can't tell it's condition,we slow down and inspect it before giving it the rub treatment.

Also, the coin is not going anywhere but in my display so if I scratch a nice coin I will let my kids worry about it!! LOL

I have found hundreds of silver coins from the ground and even the finest detailed ones I have found still have environmental damage or micro scratches that are easily seen under the loupe. So, hopefully I never ruin a $10,000 coin and if I do I guess I will just settle for the $8,000 I get for it!! ;)

:)

Nice way to go about it.

Hope you find many more.

Tom H.