Nugget Shooter Forums

Dodacious battles the Cone Nose Bug

Uncle Ron

Thanks again for the B'day wishes, everyone! ... Had sort of a good birthday, except that Dodacious got bit by a cone nose bug and we spent a big part of today in emergency with her on an IV and getting other treatments... We thought we were going to have to put her in the hospital down in Phoenix, but the Wickenburg Hospital ER people took excellent care of her ... She's still having problems but they are being addressed by the RXs the doctors gave her...

For those of you in Arizona who don't know what a cone nose bug is, Google it ... They are very nasty and can put you into anaphlectic shock real quick, which can be life threatening!

I'm happy she is recovering though still in much fever, pain and discomfort! ... Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron

Thanx for the education Ron as never had to deal with them nasty little thangs. Truly wish your wife all the best and hope she heals fast. Amazing as just one more danger to watch out for,as if there weren't enough already :th: John

Thanx for the education Ron as never had to deal with them nasty little thangs. Truly wish your wife all the best and hope she heals fast. Amazing as just one more danger to watch out for,as if there weren't enough already :th: John

X2

Ron, hope your wife has a fast recovery.

Supposedly only 7% of the population have a reaction to the bite. Every time (3x) I have went to the ER because of this beetle, nobody in the ER had ever heard of them or seen them. Nasty.

Blood suckers and they can come in on your pets from outside. Most of my bites have been in bed and we have cats.

Very scary and serious. Last bite I got hit me the hardest, racing heart rate, low BP. My palms itch first normally but this one didn't so I thought I was having a heart attack.

Edited by GeoJack

Happy Birthday to you Ron. Sorry to hear about Dodacious hope she is doing better today. Back in the late 70's had a claim in Last Chance Cyn in the El Paso range. Digging and dry washing there on a hot day had a cone nose bug aggressively attack me flying at me I would hit it in the air and knock it away and it just keep coming at me until I knocked it to the ground and stepped on it. Nasty bugs! Bob

Uncle Ron.... You have helped me figure out what happened to me about 7 years ago as i got rushed to the hospital with anaphlectic shock. darn near killed me and i could never figure out a likely cause..... I keep an epipen with me now

I sure hope Dodacious is getting better

Edited by Joe Z

Dodie is much better this morning... Swelling and pain under control ...

I also got hit by a cone nose 4 months ago... I got bit 51 times on my chest and back ... Had a little anaphlectic shock, but was too stubborn to go into the ER at 3 AM ... Next night my BP dropped to 40/30 ... That was kinda scarey ... I was pretty sick for a couple of weeks and only fully recovered about a month ago ....

I was told that regular bug poisons won't kill them, but then found out two days ago that any bug spray will kill them!!!???

No one at the ER knew what they are and even the drs. here don't know ... We have to re-educate them every time one of us gets bit!

Cheers, Unc