Nugget Shooter Forums
notime

Australia Soil vs Arizona Soil

Has anyone here done gold detecting in Australia? Was wondering how the mineralization in Australia compares to 'some' of AZ's mineralization. I reason that Australia has hot ground hence the PI detector use there.

I said 'some' of AZ soil because I use a GB2 and find 'some' areas to have a lot more positive and negative hot rocks.

Some hot rocks make an obvious 'boing boing' sound while the other type give a distinctive 'zip zip' sound 'not' unlike gold or iron.

Too bad the 'zip zip' rocks are under the surface as well as on the top making VLF detectors a pain in the arse. I would rather dig trash rather than the addition of hot rocks.

Will a PI detector ignore all hot rocks or just 'some' of them?

And how does Australia soil and rocks compare to AZ soil and rocks?

Our 5000 will ignore a lot of hot rocks, but not all of them. Sometimes you just have to deal with them.

As for using the GB2....scrap all the overburden off really good, then detect.

Don't try and shoot through the overburden.
Tom H.

Tom,

I think you hit the nail on the head.

That part about scraping the top off before using a GB2.

You hear that guys?

I suspect Tom is onto something.

Maybe why some don't find gold...hmmm..Good Advice!

Edited by Rimshot

:old: Much older rocks... just about the whole timespan of the EArth is covered, dununda.

Arizona rocks only cover about half EArth's history and you have to go to the bottom of the CAnyon to find the oldest.

Don't try to talk yourself out of buying a PI detector.

Australian soil has nothing to do with Arizona soil. We have lots of types of ground here , and if you want to hunt gold nuggets, then you will want a PI at some point. They have their place. If you have a Gold Bug II , and a get PI with a couple coils, you will be all set to handle anything. :head:

Yes, I would imagine that Australia soil has no relationship to AZ soil being the two continents were never conected. But which soil is more mineralized? I know that AZ soil is not the same everywhere in AZ, and Ausy soil is not the same everywhere Australia.

Edited by notime

notime here is something to consider.

Here is a mind blowing theory of mine.

The earth is growing?

scientists believe that the earths continents were connected together (Pangaea)

at one time and split apart and floated around to their present position on the planet today.

I disagree.

I think our planet was much smaller and continents were all joined around a smaller planet.

I think our planets size is growing and has been growing for billions of years from the tectonic plates out.

And for the most part under water volcanic activity along the plates

have been pushing the continents apart. how is it growing? scientists agree the planet is always being dusted with thousands of tons space debris every year. now multiply that by billions of years.
scientists also agree that our solar system has much less consolidated debris than it

used to have, so earths growing has probably slowed.

Along the fault lines in some areas the plates fold under one and another.(subductive plate movement) the old material and meteoric debris goes under and back into the molten core melts and mixes and comes back up elswere, along the plate cracks, volcanoes.

add all that meteoric dust,astroids, metorites and carbon from plant and animal life over billions of years and the planet is going to grow in size.

If you consider that our planet has much more gravity than the moon, because of size you can get an idea how much debris has been falling/sucked in. plus I dont think the moon is near as old as the earth.

I came up with this theory about 20 years ago when I first started studying geology but never published it till now.

anyway it is good food for thought. All rights reserved. :4chsmu1: AzNuggetBob

Also Australia is the oldest continent. first to split away,its had more time to evolve on its own. AzNuggetbob

I have detected gold in Arizona, California, Nevada, Alaska, Australia and West Africa.

Was wondering how the mineralization in Australia compares to 'some' of AZ's

Problem is that every location is different. Which "some" are we talking about - that makes all the difference. There actually are a few mild places in Australia, and there are some pretty bad places in AZ. They are all different.

Overall, because of both their higher iron content and age, Australian soils are worse.

Some places here in the US are fine for VLFs (in my opinion they are not the majority, but they are not uncommon). Chose your places to prospect wisely.

Many places here in the US you would have an advantage over a VLF by using a good PI.

A PI will ignore the majority of hot rocks you see with your VLF. Percentages vary from location to location. Some places the PI will ignore 100% of the hot rocks you see with your VLF. Some places maybe only 80%. Other places in between.

Edited by Reno Chris

Well said Chris,

and I agree good PI's are the best detectors out there to deal with high mineraliation both primary and secondary.

VLF's will handle many less mineralized areas. I also think because the land mass in Australia has more time oxidize and percolate it should be more mineralized. secondary oxidation.

Im going to retract my statment about Australia being the

oldest continent only because I think the oldest is antarctica. probably split away first but because and

its almost always covered in snow and not subject to average erosion as continents closer to the equator. its so far south and very cold the evolution of the planet and erosion from weathering was probably drastically reduced. but you have wonder how gold is under all that ice? :thumbsupanim jmo AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

To AZNuggetBob,

WOW... I like the fact that you think out of the box.

With that said, gold is where you find it and often it's found where it should'nt be so I would bet that I would be more successful at finding the stuff if I went prospecting with you.

Also Australia is the oldest continent. first to split away,its had more time to evolve on its own. AzNuggetbob

Hey... wait a minute. I thought you dissagreed with scientists that the continents split apart.

They split apart in both theories. there is no doubt about that,the land masses have been geologically matched like a puzzle.

e.g. just look at Saudi Arabia and the land masses around it.

The question is did the continents randomly split apart floating around on a molten core as believed by most or because of earth's expansion and growth?. :89:

AzNuggetBob

AzNuggetBob... Great Posts. When you speak I sure listen. One thing for sure your

post #7... Real stuff and not fluff...

I first met you at Oakie Jim Malone's Lunker Hill workings many years ago... I knew

Jim and you were both friends in Arizona. I asked you a couple of questions and you

answered them.

I listened then while you spoke (as back when the original Gold Bug was introduced

at the Mesa Gold Show you recognized its strengths and you astounded most of us -me

included) with how you 'made it sing.'

Just a question: To me it has always be the sharper peaking "ZIT-ZIT's" that signify

a small gold nuggets... not the milder "ZIP-ZIP's... Tailgate jim Straight

Tom,

I think you hit the nail on the head.

That part about scraping the top off before using a GB2.

You hear that guys?

I suspect Tom is onto something.

Maybe why some don't find gold...hmmm..Good Advice!

A very wise young guy taught me that :)

Tom H.

I'll throw my two cents in Bob.

I on the other hand think the world is growing smaller. Well not the world, but earth is getting smaller. Dirt. Hense the flooding going on in Florida. Maybe all the ice melting is doing it, maybe not. I wonder if this is being monitored? Whens the last time they checked the diameter?

You know the north pole moves, and when it moves i think the continents move also. And don't end up in the same spot. Fractions of an inch differences.

Hope it don't ever snow ball...Lordy, Lordy, ughhhhhhh

Well that's my amature opinion...

Rim

A very wise young guy taught me that :)

Tom H.

Well i'll be ready if i ever make a trip. Lots of good advice on this board...yesiree!!!!!

Jim I've been a huge fan of gold bugs ever since they came out. as a matter of fact I still use one of the originals.

I have one that Ive used for about 25 years and its still finding gold. I often use it If Im hunting for new patches

because its so light weight even hip mountable. I prefer the 14" coil on it and the 10"or even the 6.5" on the GB2.

If the ground gets too tough I'll get out the minelab PI. I can cover a lot more ground with the lightweight GB without wearing myself out and if I have any doubts about a spot or the hot rocks are just too much for the GB I come back with the Minelab just to make sure. other than weight its hard to beat a Minelab PI in most any ground.

On my old GB with a large coil the gold target responces tend to be smoother and cleaner. any chatter is usually trash and the negative hotrocks tend to bounce off the target center. because of the coil size its not as suseptible to smaller gold hits but great for depth on larger targets.

On the GB2 with a smaller coil the hits are much more clean and clear and much better at finding smaller gold.

you can also back off the ground balance slightly to the more negative side and that tends to make hot rocks bounce more redily.

I have not had a chance to use the new Gold Bug so there's much I can say about it other than what I've read.

Tom I agree, good advice about scraping off the surface hotrocks. (Australia is a great example)but I see it lot in the U.S. too. in many flat areas they concentrate on the surface by natural erosion (wind/rain)of the lighter material and the hotrocks remain behind because of their weight. in some areas you can have ten times the hotrocks on the surface almost like a cap blocking or even upsetting the detector with false signals.

AzNuggetBob

I'll throw my two cents in Bob.

I on the other hand think the world is growing smaller. Well not the world, but earth is getting smaller. Dirt. Hense the flooding going on in Florida. Maybe all the ice melting is doing it, maybe not. I wonder if this is being monitored? Whens the last time they checked the diameter?

You know the north pole moves, and when it moves i think the continents move also. And don't end up in the same spot. Fractions of an inch differences.

Hope it don't ever snow ball...Lordy, Lordy, ughhhhhhh

Well that's my amature opinion...

Rim

Rim

Some scientists believe the earths magnetic poles may flip every few million years.

geologists found magnetite bedrock with apposing poles in relation to the poles today and say it could be that the rock was formed when the poles were in reverse?.

the first thing that came to mind to me is maybe the reverse pole bedrock is because of folding in the earths crust from tectonic plate movement,earth quakes or even asteroid impacts after it was originaly formed?

They say even our suns magnetic field flips?

AzNuggetBob

All the meteors, dust, and everything else falling to earth from way out is not actually building earths size.

Picture a glass half full of water and ice floating on top. As you add more ice the original level stays the same as it sinks.

All that material is making the continents sink further down into the moltent rock below.

Thats why we're getting all the vulcanic activity.

Hawain islands, as an example, is a result of all that material falling from space. It's getting squeezed back to the surface.

Edited by notime

notime
I have to say I like people that challenge what is known or even believed to be fact.
new discoveries are being made all the time in mining with new exploration. you may want to take look at these books. they may give you some new ideas on what has been established and generally accepted about geology.
If you haven't read these books I highly recommend them.

first one is called Fist Full Of Gold by Chris Ralph.
I think it will answer many of your questions.
this book is one of the best books out there. Its loaded with the info on prospecting,minerals,geology
and many other subjects related to prospecting. easy to read and understand, a great book.

You may also want to get Jim Straight's book. Advanced Prospecting & Metal Detecting for Hardrock Gold.
also well written by a man that has been prospecting for a long time. I've read all of Jims books.
I've learned a great deal of info on mining and geology from their books and they helped me find a lot of gold.
I think Bill has both of these books availible in the store section of this forum.

http://www.nuggetshooter.com/must-see-book-specials.html

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

The magnetic poles have flipped several times. The earth as we know it has taken about 4.5 billion years and the earth is

part of the milky way....

This thread is great... All of the posts show "out of the box" thinking and evaluation... Keep em' coming... jim

Jim on the subject of the magnetic flip.Im at a loss to try to figure out why the earth and our sun may be doing flips at regular intervals?

I wonder some times about stories of people reporting having their compasses going crazy on

on certain places on the planet? could it be molten magnetite swirling around under the surface.

I often wonder what are the true dynamic's of our earth. what is powering the core?, what about gravity expansion heat generating/contraction theory as believed by most.

possibly an old star? to me its obvious that our planet is a regenerating/recycling machine. are we the (earth) the result of a new unknown type of dying star?

Did all the minerals here come from space or were some created here?

If you look at what we know about the makup of planets near to us as they are very simple (geologicly) as compared to us.

To me its fun pondering all the possibilities. :m2c::)

AzNuggetBob

Bob it sounds like a awful lot of friction going on to keep that core hot. I wonder if we are folding in on ourselves. Maybe the tectonics plates are causing this circulating action.. Maybe one day California will be the new east coast. Or no coast at all. Nothing...uuugh...And they say the Sun is getting closer too..puts on shades.. : -) I'm kinda glad i won't see this unfold...Thank God!

Hey Bob, i'm sure this is old news to you, but here's some stuff about magnetics to refresh your memory. Images sure make it easier to understand.

http://www.moorlandschool.co.uk/earth/magnetism.htm

Edited by Rimshot

Earth is like a fresh baked cake, it takes a while to cool. Surrounded by a warm blaket of air constantly heated by the sun makes a great insulation.