Nugget Shooter Forums

Did I find a meteorite?

Yesterday I was searching some nice stones for my other hobby. I found this unusual looking rock. I picked it up and I was suprised by how heavy it was. I found it laying between other gravel.

So I took it inside and tested it if it's magnetic. It definitely is magnetic, my magnet can pull it without any support. It also has some kind of erosion layer on it. After the pictures I cleaned it a little bit more and it showd a brown erosion (looks like rust). Under the rust there is a black surface. So I thought, hmm, could this be a meteorite? I weighted it and it weights exactly 80 grams. It doesn't feel like a rock, it's just much heavier than a rock of the same size. It leaves no streak.

2n64v9c.jpg

2how9eb.jpg

Does this look like a meteorite? If anyone could give me a better idea. Id be very thankful.

If you want to see more pictures, visit my blog :

http://slingeren.blogspot.nl/

Edited by JdH

Hi JdH,

Feestelijk inhalen. That is an interesting stone. I would like to see what the

interior looks like. Alstublieft make a small "window" into the stone with a blade-

honing stone, a diamond file, or a rock-saw if you have access to one. A look at

the inside will tell us a lot about your suspect specimen. You only need to grind

some off a corner, sand it, then take a close-up photo.

Dankzegging, Ben

Edited by Regmaglitch

Well I couldn't wait... I made these pictures with my smartphone as my brother has taken the other camera with him. I hope it's good enough, you can see it definitely has metal inside of it.

What I do find weird are the black spots on the outside, which very much looks like the black of a meteorite. If it were just a piece of iron, wouldn't it just completely oxidize over time, instead of forming a hard, black/greyish layer?

I checked the density of it (very roughly) and my calculations say it's 4g / cm^3, but +/- 1g because of the too big measuring cup I only have available at the moment. I will make better pictures soon.

post-27419-0-13326100-1417556626_thumb.j

post-27419-0-88902100-1417557136_thumb.j

Edited by JdH

Just thought I'd say this too, I don't have a compass with me, instead I put a small piece of paper on water in a small bucket. On this piece of paper I put a needle. When I hold the stone near the needle, the needle follows it, so it is magnetic.

Edited by JdH

JdH, the window looks to be all metallic, not like you would exped a stone meteorite to look. Meteorites, while attracted by a magnet, are not magnetic themselves, so the fact that it moves a needle does not bode well for your find. I'd look at this one in person, but I'm leaning toward not a meteorite.

I see. It's not very magnetic, only very, very little. I don't feel any magnetic forces when I hold it at a metal plate. Only when I hold it close to the needle floating on the water, the needle moves a little bit, but the same happens when I hold a different metal object near the needle.

Thank you for your reply, it's an interesting learning experience.

Edited by JdH

The first two pics of the exterior surface and shape looks like terrestrial slag and not like a meteorite. The two smartphone pics look like all metal, similar to slag, and not like a meteorite. The outer surface of the fourth pic does not resemble a meteorite. Nothing shown resembles a typical meteoritic crust. Stone is very doubtful to be a meteorite.

billpeters

It looks like old metal shrapnel. (Perhaps, from military ordinance, WWII?) I would still have it looked at by someone professional who truly knows meteorites well. Metal sag is everywhere, from ancient farmland, to ship cargo and debris, to just general trash strewn about over the last 200 years.

billpeters

• 2 weeks later...