Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey guys, can I get some opinions on these please? I found a couple handfuls of it. All in one small spot. None in any surrounding areas close by and I've not seen it here before. It has a grain pattern that made me think it might be bone or possibly petrified wood? What do you guys think? The outside is really rough with obvious grain, but the inside is really smooth and white. post-26514-0-45001200-1417293718_thumb.jpost-26514-0-15704600-1417293752_thumb.jpost-26514-0-42815400-1417293834_thumb.jpost-26514-0-82964500-1417293873_thumb.j

man that sounds awesome, I hope that's what it is. I am going to go clean up the rest of that little "patch" of it today. The smooth side looks really pretty and might be used for something by the right person. One thing is that the grain goes length wise, I was picturing tress or plants having circular grain inside them that why I was kind of thinking these might be bone. But I am just taking a wild guess.

it looks too me like that stuff that builds up on rocks after a real long time maybe knocked of could explain the smooth side ? I cant imagine the circumstances? some of my cave man tools have a thinner layer and it chips of .that's my guess of 1 thing it might be

Yup, those look just like opalized limb casts. FIND THE SOURCE! If there is any precious Opal nearby, you could do very well!

Edited by El Dorado

Nope, I am definitely not seeing any of those brilliant colors that I see on the Google images of opal. Maybe it is agatized? I included a couple pieces of what I think are agate, in the pics, found very close by where this stuff is. It is localized in a very small area , I hunted really good around there today and found nothing else similar to the white pieces nearby. These are the two biggest pieces I found but there is tons of small stuff all over the ground there.post-26514-0-82115300-1417380462_thumb.jpost-26514-0-78885200-1417380508_thumb.j

YOu'll have to look at the "end grain"- cut and polish( one end) to see it.

. One thing is that the grain goes length wise, I was picturing tress or plants having circular grain

In the N. Nevada Opal areas, there are many many more non-precious (common Opal) pieces than ones with fire. The common Opal can certainly be an indicator of something great. If you want to send a piece, I can cut and polish a slice for you. I will try to send a few pics later after I open up my shop

I know that material Chris. I've gotten a few good pieces of fire and jelly from there - if we are looking around the same area?

I'd rather not say anything specific on here but south of Belen?

Hey Clay, these were found in a canyon just outside of TorC. If you are passing through some time P.M. Me and I'll show you where. Is "fire and jelly" the precious opal? So do you think there is potential to find some with the "fire" in it where I am getting these pieces?

Here are a few pics of some pieces I have found. Only one displays a few tiny lines of color, it's the last one

post-1252-0-09816900-1417479142_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-60498000-1417479169_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-56000100-1417479197_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-19296400-1417479216_thumb.jp

Edited by El Dorado

Question here...is it possible/ probable that larger opal is encased? How would you go about checking? Cut? Chip away with a small hammer & chisel? Maybe a dremel with a cutoff wheel? I've never looked for opal but probably will this coming year...I'd sure hate to screw up a nice piece by smacking it. Is there a good reference book on prospecting for it?

Good questions middle fork, I am not real sure about it. These are the first pieces I've ever found so it's all new to me too. Check out this monster I found today. Well outside of the established "patch" where I thought it was coming from. Seems to be scattered over a much larger area than I first thought. Almost all of them were white inside. This big one is a lot darker inside, kind of a bluish shade, it seems to have a lot more color than the others. Still nothing even close to opal "fire"

post-26514-0-31353400-1417562275_thumb.jpost-26514-0-35360500-1417562306_thumb.j

Slicing them with a diamond saw would be the way to go. Opal is like glass and can easily be shattered. If you still want to send one, make it one of those two last ones

Edited by El Dorado

Hey Clay, these were found in a canyon just outside of TorC. If you are passing through some time P.M. Me and I'll show you where. Is "fire and jelly" the precious opal? So do you think there is potential to find some with the "fire" in it where I am getting these pieces?

Fire opal is transparent to translucent generally. Jelly opals are transparent. Precious opal usually has a white or black ground. None of those are a specific type of opal but instead are trade names for opals that display a color flash. Within the gem trade opals are generally referred to by their origin rather than the false taxonomy of appearance.

The opals I've found with fire are north of TorC. Many of those opals are exceptional and are gem quality as well as being sizable and well consolidated. They were eyeballed in a very large wash. Natives, like yourself, probably have enough clues now to know where to look.

I've found quite a bit of common opal south of TorC but never any fire material. There is some nice pink material found in Box canyon. It doesn't have the "fleshy" appearance of most pink opal.

The best material I've seen in New Mexico was from the aforementioned wash and from a small area of Grant lands west of Santa Fe.

Hey Steve, I sent a pm regarding this big piece. It is just one chunk, I took two pictures of it. Looking at your gallery on here of some of your work, I don't imagine I could find a more qualified person for the job. You do some great work and Im hoping this big chunk will make some nice pieces.

Clay, that is great you are finding some gem quality pieces out here. I will have to keep searching and hope I can find a piece or two with fire in it. I have no experience with opal or hunting it. I credit my dog with finding this stuff because I was walking her and she layed down under a bush and wouldn't budge, she was ready for a break. While she was resting in the shade I was just wandering around checking out the rocks and stumbled across them. It was a lucky find for me. But now I have a starting area because there seems to be a good bit here and it is spread out more than I thought.