Nugget Shooter Forums

Au79ramona Nugget Shooting

au79ramona

Hello,

This is my first Nugget Shooting thread. I plan to update it as time allows. I'm about 2 hours from any locations that are know for detectable size

Gold. I was honorable discharged from the Marine Corps in 2014. While serving I spent a fair amount of time sleeping in the brush and digging in the dirt. Once I was discharged I took up gold prospecting as it kept me sane and allowed me to enjoy my free time outdoors. I have spent most of my time drywashing and panning into tubs of water. I've owned a few gold machines (gold bug 2, and a GMT) I never found anything, but I also never traveled to where large nuggets have been found before. I recently got the go ahead from the wife to get a better gold machine. I just purchased a demo minelab sdc2300. I'm very excited to recieve it and am already planning my first trip up to the East Fork San Gabriel river. I'll update when the sdc23 arrives!

Congratulations on your upcoming ownership of a great detector!!! :thumbsupanim

But I would check before you go to the East Fork San Gabriel river and take your new detector, just recently Obama made the San Gabriel Mountains a National Monument and I don't think you can metal detect or even pan or sluice for gold any more, I could be wrong on what's allowed there now, but I would hate to see you get a ticket or worst the Rangers confiscating your new machine, or both!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-to-designate-san-gabriel-mountains-as-a-national-monument/2014/10/08/d1abdb74-4e2b-11e4-babe-e91da079cb8a_story.html

Thanks, I'm well aware of the national monument status, as far as I know prospecting hasn't changed. I know plenty of people who still head up there every week in search of color.

Ramona,

I spent a large amount of time in the East Fork..detected good gold with my Whites Vsat. If I could suggest don't waste your time in the river. Go up Shoemaker Rd, may be closed off to cars now a days....but if it is, you can walk up that road and work the gulches going down to the river. If you go far enough you will see old workings when they washed old placer deposits high above the present river. Work those gulches with your detector just around the workings , there was one gulch just beyond the ole workings that produced ounces of gold....good luck.

Thsnks for your service, best of luck

The "Nugget Gulch" or "Nugget Alley" segment accessible from Shoemaker Road also at one time was adjacent to a major trash dump. Be prepared to pick through a lot of metallic junk, but some nice nuggets are yet waiting to be found. Note also that the charcoal-like root structures from past wildfire damage can induce weird responses in a metal detector, although I'm not sure whether the more modern 2300 is thus affected. Have a great day!

Au79ramona,

Glad to hear that prospecting is keeping you sane, because it has made the rest

of us crazy,ha ha. You picked the best hobby there is, great adventure and great people.

I just wanted to thank you for your service.

Good on You, Ben

If you do a day trip up east fork give me a heads up I'm looking for a friend to hunt up there . I use a goldbug pro and 45 mins away from azusa cyn . I have never found more then fly poop sluicing up there and really never MD there .

Archived