Nugget Shooter Forums

Handstacking Nationals 2014

adam

The scene was set amidst the grassy rolling hills, and mesquite lined gullies of the remote southland near Arivaca, Arizona. This particular ravine was chosen by the committee based on the average width of the gully being 3 feet, and the abundance of mid sized foliated stones for the contestants to work with. :Diggin_a_hole: There was also an element of danger knowing the contest was in a smuggling area. The sponsors were very generous this year providing 9 volt batteries for the Gold Bug II`s, performance shovels, and enough Keystone to keep hydrated in the evenings. :yesss:

First two shots are a before and after of a short 40 foot stretch worked to bedrock and vacuumed.

Before

Arivacaafter2_zps3614a9bc.jpg

After

Arivacaafter1_zps3ccea112.jpg

Adam took 1st in the freelance division with his fine handstackings, and boulder dash snagged 1st pace in the traditionional division with his extra fine dedication to running linear walls to the judges amazement.

Adams crescent style wall seen below

ArivacaNationals_zps4b87929e.jpg

Edited by adam

Here`s another fine wall by boulder dash running about 30 feet in length

arivacawall_zps565a27d3.jpg

Adams freestyle technique qualified him with this wishing well design. Another 35 feet of vacuumed bedrock shown.

arivacawell_zps3984c678.jpg

Boulder dash makes good use of another ten foot long traditional wall he built, by using it to hold overburden. This dude eats buckets of gravel for breakfast folks :thumbsupanim

Arivacatenft_zpsb290183b.jpg

Lots of penalties were handed out during this tough competition. Adam was docked 10 points for a wall collapse, and cursing. Boulder dash had two penalties, one for "hour glassing" ( when sand purges through the wall onto bedrock ) , and another for " encroachment " ( removal of rocks from another competitors designated work space )

Overall, there was about 70 to 80 feet of bedrock worked with an average depth of a foot or better.

It was great to see everyone that showed up from last year, and nice to meet the new contestants as well.

Gold was finicky, but some was found during the competition which was divided up evenly.

A combined total of about 15 grams 12 of which is shown below. :brows:

DSC07340_zps10f3c0b7.jpg

Edited by adam

CrimmY!!!!

I think both of you guys took first place in working your butts off and getting gold ! :)

That's got to be the best hand stacking seen this side of the 21st century.

Plus, you left a legacy for the guys that will come along 20 yrs from now with the "only find gold beepers"
Awsome pics and what a great story :)
WTG you two...

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

If i didn't find at least 2 oz i'd be pizzed...lol

Wish i had a truck load of that rock to play around with..haha!

Ya'all left no stone unturned and stacked. Such dedication to the proposition that all the gold will be recovered is indeed admirable. But still makes this ol'farts back hurt just to see how hard ya'all worked-kudos-John :old:

You guys are animals! I am wondering if you bust open the cracks and crevices too, or just vacuum the newly exposed bedrock?

I don't know about Adam or BD, but if I'm going to take the time to stack rocks, dig to bedrock and exert the energy to shovel many buckets of dirt through a dry washer, plus taking the time to haul in a generator, vacs, and various other tools, you can darn well bet I'd be hauling in an electric jackhammer to bust up all that bedrock!

You guys are animals! I am wondering if you bust open the cracks and crevices too, or just vacuum the newly exposed bedrock?

The fractures are very near the surface here as it is mostly schist so during the vacuum process, much of the bedrock is broken up at that time. I would imagine that we may have missed 2 tenths of a gram in deeply wedged ultra fines....We are cleaning it up very well.

The Traprock Twins have done it again.

Pure amazement and wonderful color shown in a dazzling display.

These 2 will be hard to compete with when the Nationals come around.

Hapy Huntn an thanks for the update.

Thanks Frank Cant wait to hunt with you again ! Yea there will be some tough competitors at the Nationals but we arent worried a bit. We will handstack circles around the other guys ! :2drink:

With all this rain coming down it's about time for some northern cali reclaimation, round rock style and no stacking either. WOW 4+" and a comn' down like crazy YAHOO 40" more is needed and I'm ready-John

winter is just getting started up this way, so wouldn't be surprised if we

don't get a lot more wet stuff before Mother Nature is done with us.

A little more overburden to remove this coming spring and summer, but a

lot more gold to be found........great job with the rock walls guys!

I thought I saw this "contest" posted a year or two ago with reclamation pictures?

I do believe that it was "natural" reclamation.

Correct. Those " after" pictures were taken after a winter of minor flooding. We will have to wait a season to get new pictures.

The Arivaca area gets some wicked monsoons so it will definitely reclaim itself during that time, or perhaps this winter