Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

The Nugget Only Thread, Past finds and New

Outstanding doc 

OK, last one.  This one was just found on New Years eve.  About 14" deep under the rocks of a tailings pile.  14 oz. and very thick.  We're calling it the "Little Butte" nugget as it came from the same area as the 75 Oz "Butte Nugget" of a few years ago.

011.JPG

• Like 8

GREAT find, Digger Bob..!! :thumbsupanim :wee: :yesss:

Curiousity question: Since you didn't mention how large that tailings pile is / was, did you ('you' being either singular or plural) get the signal while walking its edge, detecting down through it and tossing non-hits into a new pile as you went along or flip it right off the bat since major intent was to detect underneath where it had been moreso than checking for finds in the tailings proper..? Thanks..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:31 PM, Swampstomper Al said:

GREAT find, Digger Bob..!! :thumbsupanim :wee: :yesss:

Curiousity question: Since you didn't mention how large that tailings pile is / was, did you ('you' being either singular or plural) get the signal while walking its edge, detecting down through it and tossing non-hits into a new pile as you went along or flip it right off the bat since major intent was to detect underneath where it had been moreso than checking for finds in the tailings proper..? Thanks..

Swamp

The tailings were no more than a thin layer of rocks, maybe 6 inches, along side an old drainage.  The old timers had worked up the bank and then stopped.  It was just a matter of detecting the bank and scrapping off the loose rocks to see if the signal was still there underneath in the dirt of the bank.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Digger Bob said:

The tailings were no more than a thin layer of rocks, maybe 6 inches, along side an old drainage.  The old timers had worked up the bank and then stopped.  It was just a matter of detecting the bank and scrapping off the loose rocks to see if the signal was still there underneath in the dirt of the bank.

I wonder what it'd be like to find a tailings pile no one detected yet.  I've been to a few, and I think the ones I was at had been detected.  I found little trash over what looked to be the crushed ore, and most of that trash was outside the tailings pile, and not on it.

Someone made a comment to me about being so close to the Phoenix valley that got me thinking.  The areas I'm going to, although I see no one there, are still day trips.  Those are the same day trips that those prospectors from the city of 4 million where I live at have gone for the last 30 years with their metal detectors when they have a day's worth of time. 

So starting this summer, I'm looking for some tailings piles in areas that are no longer a day trip, and will be quite a bit of driving, and camping involved.  Won't just be tailings piles, but other remote gold bearing areas.

After thinking about what that guy said, I'm realizing that my "remote, hard to reach areas," aren't as remote as I thought.

• Like 3

Speaking of tailings and that's primarily what I hunt I have found gold in areas that most avoid, yup poison oak , brush covered tailings will give up some nice gold. The tailings that are open and easy to get to people hit pretty good. But then again most shy away from trash piles.... if there's trash there's gold. just have to take it slow on multiple trips if you live close by. Even I shy away and get disgusted with the iron in some of these piles...:ROFL:..over time the trash will be cleaned up and gold recovered. Seeing this large nugget and considering it was a recent find should encourage us all to never give up. Just stay away from my piles ........:head:

• Like 3

On 1/3/2017 at 10:54 AM, Digger Bob said:

OK, last one.  This one was just found on New Years eve.  About 14" deep under the rocks of a tailings pile.  14 oz. and very thick.  We're calling it the "Little Butte" nugget as it came from the same area as the 75 Oz "Butte Nugget" of a few years ago.

011.JPG

That's a fatty for sure! Can't wait to find one for me!

On 1/7/2017 at 8:18 PM, matt said:

That's a fatty for sure! Can't wait to find one for me!

No, l'm next! 

Holding a nugget like that makes you realize how heavy gold really is. I never had a clue till I held one like that. 

Totally a lucky find for sure. Just to get the coil over it! 

darn so close!  Only brought home an ounce, But had so much fun filling my pouch with lead. Only took 100 lead bbs to get a good day. 

Sweet finds whitebutler! I remember days like that myself. Then I had kids...

1 minute ago, matt said:

Sweet finds whitebutler! I remember days like that myself. Then I had kids...

Thanks , Matt. I had kids 20 years ago so finally able to use my winter time when I get laid off to go hunting. I must say it's very elusive and tricky. Ether way I love just swinging all day. 

Reminiscing about those good ole' days. Here is a nice specimen I found back in November of 2010. Dang I am glad I took pictures of my finds before I got rid of them. Forgot about this one!

11-21-10.jpg

• Like 5

This is a rock that I though was just in the way. I heard a signal and kicked it out if the way. I figured it can't be that on the surface. I swung again and again and nothing! So I went and swing over the stupid rock that I thought was in the way. And woowoo! I flipped it over and saw this. Then I was saying woowoo!  

IMG_20170131_202052421.jpg

IMG_20170131_202032137.jpg

• Like 8

Okay so no posts since january, I can contribute this picture of some leaf gold and nuggets found with a Evo coil...what are sundays for anyways.....a little work and a little gold.

2017 gold finds March.jpg

• Like 3

Nice ! Really like the gold 'propeller blade' ... very unique flattened piece.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2017 at 10:54 AM, Digger Bob said:

011.JPG

I got to hold this little beauty right after it was found. Once you hold something like this, it makes all the other stuff tease you. I've hunted nearly four days a week in the hopes of finding the twin. I will find one soon enough.

John

• Like 1

What Mike said, cos without the dime being there if that isn't a potato chip I don't know what is..! :yesss:

Swamp

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

What Mike said, cos without the dime being there if that isn't a potato chip I don't know what is..! :yesss:

Swamp

Yeah but you couldn't eat it Al, it's been on the ground way past the 3 or 5 second rule!!!

• Like 4

I said I was next! 5.8 for the big one and 6.1 total. 

IMG_20170328_135352375.jpg

IMG_20170328_095447321.jpg

IMG_20170328_095453849.jpg

IMG_20170328_095450808.jpg

Edited by Whitebutler
  • Like 4

That is a righteous slug of gold !!!!!   :ROFL:

Congrats !!    :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Whitebutler said:

I said I was next! 5.8 for the big one and 6.1 total. 

IMG_20170328_135352375.jpg

IMG_20170328_095447321.jpg

IMG_20170328_095453849.jpg

IMG_20170328_095450808.jpg

WOW that's really nice WB, is that a recent find??

• Like 1

That was two weeks ago. I only posted the pics because it's been sold and the collector is very happy with it.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Very nice finds