Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joeforthegold

Texas whitetail

Just got back from my annual Texas deer hunt, shot 4 deer and one pig with my new Ruger American .270 I am really impressed with that rifle. I have a place back there 400 acres of hill country. I have taken 28 deer and 3 hogs since 2008. Got a mess of horns on my wall. Not real big but quantity makes up for quality.

So, are you going to make some Buck Stew for any outings?

Ya need four to make one deer. Last White tail I seen there were the size of a German Shepard. Stationed at Patrick AFB in Florida they was like that. Between Patrick and the Cape Canaveral people were hitting deer on the roads about every day. They came out of the Restricted Areas onto the roads. Flipping menus they was. Being so small only the windshield hits hurt anyone but they did all kinds of hurt to the Car or Truck. Rant over!

How are you going to Prep and Cook them? Jerky two and Pot Stew the Rest?

Don't know how he does his but I prep mine in buttermilk or milk to get the wild out. I cut butterfly style on the tenderloins and backstrap and then chicken fry them and salt and pepper to taste. mmmmmmmmmmmm good and the most tender steak you ever sunk your teeth into. Then I take the hind quarters and grind it into hamburger meat and add about 20% pork fat. Makes a really good burger. The front quarters are used for smoked sausage because it's about as tuff as a boot...lol It's been about 30 years since I last ate one but I still know how to fix them.

I will grind a lot of it and mix with some pork fat. I use it in anything that calls for ground beef. It is really good. I will butterfly the back strap and grill it to about medium rare. I will make some jerky out of the trimmings. I get together with Mick and we make sausage, we make some killer slim jims. I give some to people I work for. I don't waste it. The deer are small but Texas let's you take five in Gillespie county. It is a great vacation for me I get to see my family and hunt deer and hogs.

While at a gun show I tried out a bunch of smoke meats. The elk was ok but not my favorite. I liked the buffalo the best. yumyum!!

Beef is my favorite meat by far smoked or whatever, but If you run into the right Texan he can take an old goat, some chili powder and an onion an win a chili contest. I think that mesquite has a lot to do with it. I have had some really good smoked beef BBQ. Makes my mouth water. Best I remember we bought off an old black man selling it out of a smoker trailer on the side of the road near Taylor Texas, spicy tomato bbq sauce and butcher paper.

What part of Texas are you in Rim Shot?

I'm in east texas Joe. No gold here... :grr01: Unless you get lucky and find a ring.....lol Usually if we take a deer here, it's within 100 feet.

I looked at some property out there this summer, my wife and I are looking at retiring there in about 10 years. Accountant says to buy something to get a jump on getting it paid down. We looked around Mineola. I'm ready to come home. My gold spots out here have dried up, Access was cut off to my best spots. a lot of new iron gates and such. California has some gold but it has the worst taxes and politics, good weather though. I will miss that.

Mineola is one of those towns that don't like changes. They like it small like it is at this time. If you go a little further south you are in Lindale. They're growing and it's a nice town. And it's right on I20 so if you want to run to Dallas or Shreveport it's convenient. A little further south is Swan and then the big city of Tyler. Biggest city in northeast Texas (100k plus pop) with Longview to the east growing everyday. East Texas is a good place to live and just far enough south that it's out of the way of tornado alley. I can't imagine living in California.

I was born and raised in Midland Texas, joined the Marine Corps. That's how I ended up out here. Don't ever want to live in Midland again. It is really messed up there because of the oil.