Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regmaglitch

Finds from the Nuggetshooter Outing

Here's the Gold Basin's that I found last weekend at the forum outing.

To those who are new to this: note that these are not glossy, overly dark, or heavily rounded.

In fact, they're ugly. And this is AFTER being brushed clean with soap and water, not

covered with dust and dirt.

Ben

post-916-0-09550200-1416032884_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-22498800-1416032910_thumb.jpg

the pickin's are getting slim when you and Eric find very little...but, they are still fun to find!

fred

Even though its not gold, its still pretty cool to hold in your hand and

think that it smacked into the earth from outer space :)
Tom

Nice, Ben! Wish I could have made it, I still haven't been to GB.

Ben,

Great Finds on the GB.

P.S. Watch out for the tourists... :idunno:

Dave

Hey Dave,

You're right about the tourists. Every 20 to 30 minutes, 3 or 4 helicopters full of touristas come over the mountain to the east,

and fly over the the Gold Basin area, to stop at a refueling station on their way back to Las Vegas. We also had military helo's

passing over after dark, heading west.

Ben

Are those meteorites stony irons? I have something I'd found in a rock pile that looks similar, but doesn't attract a magnet. It has those fine tiny pores like your pics, definitely not bubble holes from natural gas. Didn't take any pics yet because wasn't sure if it could be anything.

No, they are ordinary chondrites (L4 or L6).

I just did some searching on the Internet for glassy meteorites, this compares with what mine looks like (color and texture). The site is down, but was still able to save the image from photo search. Maybe now I'll take time to photograph my find.

Only thing I'm wondering about, the color isn't as dark (this one and mine) as on many other glassy meteorite photos.

post-21285-0-23428100-1416251918_thumb.j

Red Desert,

Gold Basin meteorites stick completely to a rare-earth magnet. Also, what may look

like "pores" is just a weathered surface, when you look up close. The rusty patina is from

oxidation over thousands of years. I have never seen a "glassy" meteorite, what is the classification?

Ben

I don't know, I'm not saying that I've got one either. First thought it might be some kind of fossil, the color doesn't really seem right for a meteorite, never found anything like it before though. A few pics out there on the Internet compare, but since didn't take photos yet, will have to wait to post any. Another possibility is a form of sandstone, in that case you would have to call it a meteor-wrong.

I think what they are calling glassy meteorites are actually a tektite.

"Where did tektites come from? There have been several schools of thought over the last hundred years, but basically today it distills down to the Earth through the impact of a meteorite or comet."

http://www.meteorite.com/tektite-info-sales/tektite-information/

Looking again at what I've got, it's probably more likely to be a petrified sponge,

Red Desert,

Good job on your research - yes, tektites are from earth. I thought I had found one right here in Arizona once.

It was a "dumbell" shape, with blobs at both ends. It turned out to be volcanic ejecta, not a tektite, but a neat find

anyway. When you get some photos, please post them, and remember that it will be helpful to sand or grind a

window in a corner of the stone to see inside.

Thanks, Ben

A few pics out there on the Internet compare,

If you have the opportunity to check out meteorites in person, like at a museum or university display, or the Tucson or Denver gem shows, you'll learn 100x more from examining them live. There's no substitute for seeing them up close and personal. Happy hunting.

I had 3 black rocks about 1 ounce each, from Arizona. I was returning from staying in California 6 months with relatives. Back then had read treasure magazines for about 3 years, it was around 1988-89. The only metal detector I owned was given to me free, ran on a 9 volt battery, knew absolutely nothing about ground balance.

Coming back through the desert, my car water pump went out the timing chain broke through, close to Yucca rest area. I stayed in Kingman until it could be fixed. There were a lot of cars being hauled there, so waited 1 week. Hiking out into the desert, found me a nice spot not too far away. I managed to get the detector to work for a few type targets, but for some reason not coins.

I dug a signal, found some black rocks. I know about hot rocks, so collected a few. The rocks at home became lost until years later. One day with my new Garrett GTA 1000, went through a can of rocks checking them The black rocks gave a signal near the coil, but weak only 1-2 inches away. A few years later when got started getting assays for minerals, tried to break off a chunk. I hit the edge repeatedly with a cold chisel and mini sledge hammer.

The corner finally broke off, flat but metallic silver color. I sent the entire piece for an assay, thinking it probably was silver. Assay came back.....

Rock

Greater than 5% iron

Greater than 5% copper

Greater than %5 (not sure, think it was magnesium).

I've tried to find the assay in last couple years, but no luck in finding it. If the metal was magnesium, either the assayer was dishonest realizing it was a meteorite or he got the 3rd metal wrong. It should be nickel if a meteorite. They way it split was entirely flat all the way across, had a strange feel when rub your finger over the break. The rocks are black surface, hardly what you could call a crust, pieces almost look like they could fit together.

What does it sound like, satellite fragments, exploded bomb? The old pics were prints, have 2 of the rocks still, should be able to find them. Maybe soon get some pics, more likely these could be something.

I just remembered one more thing from the assay report, greater than 1% titanium! It could be spacecraft, rocket or satellite metal. I was so certain they would turn out to be silver nuggets, looked like pure silver inside.

Sounds like ferromanganese (in which case your assay lab would have been telling the truth about the Mg):

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2007/jul07.htm

http://meteorite-identification.com/Hot%20Rocks/ferromanganese.html

The only meteorites that are "silver" on the inside are typically 90%+ Fe and 5%+ Ni, they would not break when struck with a hammer because they're basically a piece of metallic iron.

Ben

Congrats on such great finds.

Richard AKA kgmrg

Richard and All,

Thanks, it is getting to be a challenge to make finds at Gold Basin, so when i made

my first find, I was so happy that I wouldn't be skunked, and that I hadn't forgotten how

to hunt that field, or it's particular challenges. I'm also thankful that the hunters before me

managed to miss a few.

Ben

I've seen slag

Sounds like ferromanganese (in which case your assay lab would have been telling the truth about the Mg):

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2007/jul07.htm

http://meteorite-identification.com/Hot%20Rocks/ferromanganese.html

The only meteorites that are "silver" on the inside are typically 90%+ Fe and 5%+ Ni, they would not break when struck with a hammer because they're basically a piece of metallic iron.

I've seen slag before at an old smelter in NM, it was much lighter in weight. It does look like the photo though, will post some now.

A total weight of both rocks is 2 ounces using a postage scales. A small magnet like used to be sold in craft stores, to stick small projects to a refrigerator, will cling to and not fall off.

post-21285-0-12760500-1416620995_thumb.j

post-21285-0-45434300-1416621030_thumb.j

post-21285-0-94599500-1416621062_thumb.j

post-21285-0-32989000-1416621097_thumb.j

post-21285-0-24793400-1416621132_thumb.j

I put my rocks next to the outing meteorites, the difference is obvious. Meteorites don't have any yellowish or gold color to them. The reason why I broke off the corner, I'd really expected the rock to be a piece of high grade gold ore. If you turn them just right in window light, they appear to have a gold color showing through in spots. Meteorites show a reddish brown color in spots because of weathering.

The gold color on my rocks was only surface, inside is solid metal, a bright silvery color, the reason for thinking might be silver nuggets. I did find them 60-100 feet off the E or NE side of this black topped volcanic cone or butte. It was only about 20-30 feet climbing up the top one side, took me a while to get the right place to make it up. Top layer of rock was gold flecked, probably iron pyrite. The ground was a red color and hard off the one side toward where I found the rocks. The cone had a cave like opening on the shadow side which is the side the ground was reddish. The opening only went in about 12-14 feet, good enough for camping if you wanted to find shelter.

post-21285-0-45340900-1416677717_thumb.j

post-21285-0-49804900-1416677748_thumb.j

post-21285-0-43897900-1416677784_thumb.j

Red Desert,

I still have not seen one of your rocks with a window ground in it. Are they

chunks of sulfide ore?

Ben