Nugget Shooter Forums

Mexican Gray Wolf in AZ?

Uncle Ron

Yo, All... It's not unusual for us to see coyotes around our property on nearly a daily basis ... But for the last couple weeks we've been having a new one show up that is more aggressive and less fearful than the others have been for the past 15 years ... It has a dark gray, nearly black back and is a lot stockier that the normally lean guys we are familiar with ... Last night I stumbled on a program on TV that was talking about the Mexican Gray Wolf ... The wolves they showed looked an awful lot alike our new visitor ... In doing a little internet research I found that they have been reintroduced in to the N. Mex and AZ area ... On the maps it show the Wickenburg and Bradshaw Mtns. area as the top of their known range ... I can't be 100% certain but it sure does look exactly like the guy in the photo below ... Anybody else around here ever seen one???? Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-98174800-1416014411_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-49122600-1416014460_thumb.jpg

That's a possum Ron...

The last time they tried to introduce the wolves into the blue range my ranching buddy Whitey ended up burying the last living one when it attacked one of his heifers. Buried it in the home pasture and never even noticed it still had it's tracking collar on. :grr01:

A couple of weeks later he was busy explaining to NWS about how they should make their wolves look less like wild dogs - suggested they spray paint them fluorescent green to make it clear to the local ranchers they were "special" predators. :5bat:

Maybe you and Whitey can get together and compare notes?

The NWS must have a new crop of idiots who are trying to introduce "a nonessential experimental population which allows for greater management flexibility to address wolf conflict situations such as livestock depredations and nuisance behavior".

According to the NWS link above the wolves are nowhere near Wickenburg, the population is failing and they made special allowances for Whitey and all the other ranchers in the area who were so successful in eradicating the last batch of livestock eating wolves. :25r30wi:

Seen fox, coyote, deer, javelina, 'coon, possum, gopher, squirrel and bear, but no wolf, yet.

Supposed to be some wild pigs rooting around 12 mi NNW of :arrowheadsmiley:(guess where) though.

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/mexicanwolf/

http://dcourier.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=135136&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1086&S=1

http://dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=36&subsectionID=1119&articleID=136188

solution below

:cowboypistol::Diggin_a_hole: :nocomment:

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1

Hey Ron,

About ten years ago, Elaine and I made a trip up to our cabin in Walker in January just to check on the place after a good snow.

On the way back, near one of the crossings over Lynx Creek, we saw one just standing there, and he stared back. Not something you'd forget,

because my wife is from the Prescott area, and I have spent serious time in the Bradshaws since I was eight, and neither of us had ever seen

anything like it before. It was DEFINITELY non-native and INTRODUCED by outside "interests. It doen't surprise me that they have spread to

lower elevations, as there never was much game for the coyotes, lynxes, and big cats, let alone that type of predator. Another bad decision by

unelected officials using regulation and trendy politics to skirt law, history, and the reality of animal instinct.

My wife and I saw a huge grey wolf in Yellowstone Park 20 years ago the wolf had a limp and we slowed down and watched it as it crossed the road in front of our jeep. We told the park rangers about it. they said there were no wolves in the park . At that time they were not admitting to there being any wolves in Yellowstone.

• Like 1

I've seen news reports and videos of Jaguars near the border E. of Tucson ... There's one that shows so frequently that scientists have given him/her a name ... don't remember what it is though! ... Cheers, Unc

I have seen one wolf or wolf hybrid in Arizona. It was north of Payson and undoubtedly a wolf. It was only 100 yards away and in the scope of my rifle so I got a very good look at it. My hunting buddy also watched it through his scope and came to the same conclusion. I have seen hundreds of coyotes and they cannot be mistook for a wolf at close range.

I've seen news reports and videos of Jaguars near the border E. of Tucson ... There's one that shows so frequently that scientists have given him/her a name ... don't remember what it is though! ... Cheers, Unc

I think they named it Macho Combo or something, however I also remember them having to put the cat down for some reason.

If I ever see a wolf I`m going to hit it with my Fisher Gold Bug II :D

Adam me boy, Don't piss off one of those hungry guys. All you have to do is toss him one of those lovely spam samiches you savor. I'm sure he will either eat it and leave or be repelled and also run.

Old Tom

I think they named it Macho Combo or something, however I also remember them having to put the cat down for some reason.

The only Jaguar in the United States was killed and skinned by the State Game and Fish department. They tried to put it off to an "incidental capture" and "kidney failure" but they actually euthanized it. The contractor they hired to track it down was indicted. The Inspector General declared it a crime but said the AZGFD wasn't responsible because they only hired the guy to do it.

The Jaguar that was photographed "somewhere near Rosemont" last year turned out to be a plant by a greenie group trying to shut down the mine.

A single male cat is not a breeding population nor does it amount to proof of a habitat range. I wish there was a place for these beautiful cats in Arizona but having lived and ranched in the area in question for several years I can understand why they have failed to establish a single breeding pair.

Although the Gold Bug II might work I've heard that a few of the higher priced Whites machines are better for wacking wolves. Probably the added weight. I wonder how the ATX would work on a beaR?

Edited by clay

Clay,

There is another set of mountains in this state where I know that jaguars live. Like many places in Arizona, it's

a place that has been visited by Indians and settlers, and was mined off and on since the Spanish were here.

Those things have never been a threat to those big cats, but the Game and Fish people that killed a jaguar, are

a threat. Also, if it came to their attention, people would lose access to the area, which does not bother the cats.

Arizona natives know!

Ben

• Like 1

Adam me boy, Don't piss off one of those hungry guys. All you have to do is toss him one of those lovely spam samiches you savor. I'm sure he will either eat it and leave or be repelled and also run.

Old Tom

Hey Old Tom

The spam samiches is probably why the wolves are following him around.

Oh It also makes good Bear bait too. :D AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob