Nugget Shooter Forums

Found this today!

I found this earlier on today with my metal detector, a solid little piece of iron weighing 75 grams. Magnet hops onto it, it has a density of 9.3g/cm3. I rubbed an area on the back of a tile, which left a slight streak & stopped once the metal started to show through, you can see some iron specks showing through in the photos.

Here are some photos I took earlier on ...

post-27339-0-26169400-1415993357_thumb.j

post-27339-0-94409400-1415993850_thumb.j

post-27339-0-12295200-1415994136_thumb.j

Looks interesting, but also looks like a typical piece of scrap iron. Bulk density is a bit high, iron meteorites are typically 7-8 g/cc (pure iron is less than 8 and pure nickel is less than 9, leading me to believe you have something like lead in there, too, which would indicate man-made).

If you are into it I would recommend an assay lab nickel test as well, although I don't see any exterior features (fusion crust, regmaglypts) that would indicate meteorite. Maybe cut off a piece about 20g to send in for testing (it's non-destructive testing, but they'll need a flat surface to blast with their ray gun and this way you'll have a type specimen ready to go for full classification if nickel is present), and then etch the cut face on the main piece to see if any structure is present. If you get structure, send in the piece for assay. If nickel comes back 5%-10%, probably submit for classification.

• 7 months later...

It's been months since I posted the images of my suspect iron meteorite & although I had intended to follow up on this, I ended up forgetting about it & other stuff took over & it's only in the last couple of days that have started to look at it again & here I have some new photos that I would like you to take a look at - same item, hopefully you can see the finer detail?

post-27339-0-44872200-1436401679_thumb.j

post-27339-0-86785400-1436401716_thumb.j

post-27339-0-67973200-1436401777_thumb.j

post-27339-0-82872400-1436401809_thumb.j

Looks interesting, but also looks like a typical piece of scrap iron. Bulk density is a bit high, iron meteorites are typically 7-8 g/cc (pure iron is less than 8 and pure nickel is less than 9, leading me to believe you have something like lead in there, too, which would indicate man-made).

If you are into it I would recommend an assay lab nickel test as well, although I don't see any exterior features (fusion crust, regmaglypts) that would indicate meteorite. Maybe cut off a piece about 20g to send in for testing (it's non-destructive testing, but they'll need a flat surface to blast with their ray gun and this way you'll have a type specimen ready to go for full classification if nickel is present), and then etch the cut face on the main piece to see if any structure is present. If you get structure, send in the piece for assay. If nickel comes back 5%-10%, probably submit for classification.

My opinion remains unchanged. Pretty sure it's man-made. If it were mine it'd be in the scrap pile, but only an assay lab can tell you for sure.

Edited by Mikestang

I've(and my boys) found many of pieces similar to those while detecting in areas of Siskiyou county. In the vicinity of but not real close to mining activity. Always thought they were "blast" fragments of "something". Maybe not?

I've(and my boys) found many of pieces similar to those while detecting in areas of Siskiyou county. In the vicinity of but not real close to mining activity. Always thought they were "blast" fragments of "something". Maybe not?

The dfference with this piece & what sets it apart from the usual scrap that I find around here is it's weight, magnetic attracton & the corrosive effect - all of which grabbed my attention & made me think it was worthy of further inspecton. Mike is right about the assay test, which I plan on doing very soon. I am trying to work on some clearer photos which will show up more of the detail, the one attached is a little better..

post-27339-0-97634200-1436596615_thumb.j