Nugget Shooter Forums

Need a Dry Suit

GeoJack

I need to beg, borrow or steal a dry suit for about four days. I have a cold water recovery project. Tried to rent one but they want you to be certified. Size large. I'm in Norcal but will be traveling towards Durango for the outing on Hiway 50.

I don't think you should get a dry suit. They are extremely dangerous to use. In Nome no one I know uses a dry suit. A couple years ago a new dredger wannabe used one and died his first day. I suggest you get a 8 or 9 mm one piece suit with built in hood. Aqualung makes a suit that sells for about $500.00 that is what we use. If you are dredging you can get a water heater for your dredge that will give you hot water with your surface supplied air. If you are doing short time exposure to cold water (below 50) you should try pouring hot water in your suit before getting in the water. This will last about half an hour. The hot water in your suit slows down the cold water coming in.

We have high altitude claims, have gone the muffler heater, with so so results, the Triton is the way to go. And you can have a hot shower if you haul back to camp. We use 7 mil suits, and in May water temps are avg 34 degrees. Keeps you toasty7...

ZODI,Coleman and a few others make ez to use wetsuit heaters for cheap. Just make sure to use a mixer pot to prevent welding your buns shut by scalding water. I much prefer using a old sealed pressure cooker to use as a safety. When throttled down,flow slows and heat rises FAST,same same on restart. Good wetsuits now have done away with the heater need for almost 8 years now. Closed cell requires a few more pounds but to be all nice and warm and no hastles with heaters and extra lines sure makes life easier. John

Short duration exposure, 30 minutes max for each emersion. Standing in chest deep most of the time. So a thicker wetsuit instead of a dry suit? I'm at altitude (5900 ft) and the wet suit I have worn makes it difficult to hyperventalate a bit prior to diving. No tanks, just a breath of air with a mask.

Not thicker but closed cell retains the heat much better. I see n cal,I have a few extra suits,some with less than 30 hours on them. PM and see what I can do,extra t-80s and such also. Gasp and grasp at that altitude can be pretty bloody dangerous. Hope your bringing it up by the handfulls-John

We use dry suits all the time for inland dredging in Alaska. Screw wetsuits. Commercial divers in Cook inlet that work on the oil platforms...use drysuits. Your not gonna die from using a drysuit, that is the most retarded thing I've read this morning!

Do get a neoprene one though...at least 7mil. I've dredged for up to 6 HOURS at a time in my suit in 34° water and never got cold.

Edited by ArcticDave

I picked up one of those hundred dollar O'Neils, looks to be about 3 or 4 mm. How did my gut get that big?

I'm headed out Thursday morning and will just pick up a hood at a dive shop this week before going. I can deal with the cold for the short duration. Thanks for the help and information guys.

Edited by GeoJack

Die from a drysuit?? Who posted that?? Snow fed glacers feed the sf american and dredged 8-10 hours a day ALL summer in closed cell suit. I just much prefer to have my PEE zipper so I can dredge non stop and NONE in drysuits. Stopping mining,getting to shore,undo weightbelts and on and on and then repeat all that no way never . Comparing ocean to river is like apples and oranges. John

Edited by Hoser John