Nugget Shooter Forums

Short film about where I grew up ... Gold in them hills

Uncle Ron

Someone just released a short film about the desert town I grew up in ... It's on the edge of Death Valley and it's called Trona ... They even show our house brief but it's hard to describe because they all look the same ... We had a few celebrities there: Charlie Manson and the Manson family, Seldom Seen Slim, Mr. Teagal, Shorty Harris ... I think you'll all get a kick out of it ... Cheers, Unc

Ron:
That is a desolate place!
What did you do for excitement......watch how far the rocks rolled after a storm? :)
Guess like any kid, being that close to the outdoors you were back in the hills a lot.
Tom H.

Yeah, Tom ... I lived IN the desert, collected baby tortoises after the one July thunderstorm each year and flash flood and sold them with horny toads and zebra lizards to the pet store in Ridgecrest for 25-cents each ... The rocks the kid is climbing in the film is on a place we called Circus Hill... had a cool cave to hide in during the hot summer days and lots of chuckawallas to harass ... We were truly free, wandered the desert like burros and, in fact, spent miles trying to sneak up on the burro tribes that lived outside of town ... For years we were convinced we were going to lasso one but it never happened ... after about 15 we added beer (Oly Stubbies) and sex to our fun ... I worked with the guy narrating the film in the potash/soda ash plant a couple summers ... It was actually an amazing place to grow up and all the people who grew up there are still really close ...Oh, we thought most of the old prospectors who still roamed the hill were looneys ... Ha ...Cheers, Unc

Time moves slowly there. I spent a month one day in nearby Kramer Junction........

Be glad you grew up in Trona - you could have been stuck in Boron.

When I was a young prospector I used to visit the Randsburg area often.

Edited by Reno Chris

Wow, Chris, Kramers Corners (I always knew as 4-corners) and Boron were 3 miles deep in hell! Used to play football against Boron ... Usually whooped 'em! Trona was paradise compare to there! Cheers, Unc

I bet it was hot hot hot there Ron....but i like where times stand still..that's what's wrong with this world...everyone in fast lane..bummer.

And god made hell on earth and he called it by multiple names Trona, Coolgardie,Boron,Randsburg,Barstow,4 Corners,Death Valley and a few more. Spent quite a few weekends on gem/mineral trips out there in the 50s-60s and want nuttn' to do with any of it. GREAT place to be from...........John

• Like 1

Yeh, Steinbeck made two about where I come from, I grew up on Cannery Row in Monterey Calf. and my family came from Oklahoma in the dust bowl days, IE. Grapes of Wrath. We lived it. Grubstake

Ron ... Very cool film and looks like a great place to grow up! ... and be from ... maybe even go back for a visit every ten years tyo see what may have changed if anything other than the faces on the street. That's not a put down at all ... that is a compliment to the town that was able to stand still as time passed it by ... better times in those days if you ask me.