Nugget Shooter Forums

First day out with a GB2

Alwaysdirty

One of the nicest guys around sent me a GB2 to use through the winter season instead of collecting dust in his closet. Thank you Greg!!!

I just got it Wednesday and took it out for a test run to detect some tailings at a Free Mill Lode mine not to far from my house yesterday. I didn't have very much time but I got some good exploring in and a solid hour of detecting.

I can't believe how awesome this machine is and lucky for me it's got the 6.5" coil. I felt very comfortable with it and started popping targets right away.

The sensitivity is just ridiculous! Some of the smallest targets I ever dug and easy to hear. I wasn't even using my headphones.

Here is one of the shaft entrances, you can't see them but there is two Diamondback's coiled up just to the left in the shadows

post-27032-0-45068200-1414862232_thumb.j

Catclaw made it a not so easy hike

post-27032-0-32910300-1414862260_thumb.j

I got a good signal from a piece of rock, so I threw in the pack to break up at home, when I did I got a nice surprise. It was Quartz with what looks like a decent chunk of gold, although when I scrape it with my kniife some of it crumbles like Pyrite and some of is malleable like gold. So not sure if I found gold yet and will need further testing

post-27032-0-90702900-1414862289_thumb.j

Here's all the finds for the hour of swinging, the pieces next to the dime are tiny and they still gave off an easy to hear signal

post-27032-0-75192700-1414862328_thumb.j

Hopefully next Friday I will be able to get out all day to do some placering and make good use of the GB2

Thanks again Greg!!!

Man, that's nice of that guy! :)
Well, at least you got out and found something :)
Find some bedrock..scrape it off and detect it......ive seen some guy doing that before. :)
Tom H.

Sorry Alwaysdirty but the specimen looks to be pyrites. Turn the bug on and check it in disc mode. If it still gives a good signal you may have some thing. Or scratch some in a pan and see how it acts in water.

Still gives a great signal in disc mode, now I just gotta figure out how to crush it. Probly fab something up to smash it.

If it "chirps" in discrimination mode, then most likely you have a goody hidden within. Sometimes gold will form inside a pyrite deposit. I hope you have something in there to share with us. :ya:

Alwaysdirty because it passed the discrimination test what you may have there is Auriferous Pyrite.

http://www.mindat.org/min-424.html its found in several places around Az and can contain profitable amounts of gold. AzNuggetBob

I agree BD

AD I know this may sound simple but did you use soap in the water?? One of the best ways to seperate sulfide gold IS flotation.

also there is a difference between Roast and torch.

Gold can go up in smoke! and sulfide ores is a good way to do it.

The gold is probably there, gold can flash onto the flat surfaces of sulfides. it's almost like plating and this can cause the detector responce. it's just not as easy to seperate out with sulfides,S2's.

selenides,tellurides,arsenides,antimonides,bismuthinides.etc.

mines with sulfide ores can be complex ores and require larger mining operations or special separation processes but that doesn't mean they cant be sold to larger mining companies. :yesss:

Good Luck, AzNuggetBob

I used Dawn when I panned it. Some of it still floated.

I problably more roasted it than torched it. Wasn't really any smoke from it. Maybe I overheated it. Got it glowing red for a second. I was using a MAPP Torch.

I almost hunt exclusively in discrimination mode anymore because I'm in hot rock haven. Gold, certain rocks that look like meteorites, and my hands are the majority of items that will sound off in disc mode. Not pyrite. You weren't holding the rock when it sounded off in disc mode? I think it has something to do with the salt. Your pics sure do look like gold though.

I almost hunt exclusively in discrimination mode anymore because I'm in hot rock haven. Gold, certain rocks that look like meteorites, and my hands are the majority of items that will sound off in disc mode. Not pyrite. You weren't holding the rock when it sounded off in disc mode? I think it has something to do with the salt. Your pics sure do look like gold though.

I used the scoop, just my hand will make noise with the GB2