Nugget Shooter Forums

using head phones for detecting

I have worked with a few folks who insist that headphones are the only way to go. Tey wear thwm all th time for every hunt. I never use them, mostly because I live in rattlesnake country and want to hear them when they are telling me to stay away. I also don't work much in noisy areas I can understand using them in parks or near roads, but out in the woods, I find no need, and I think I am hearing every sound. So what's the deal with headphone use while detecting, what will I miss by not wearing them besides the snake bite on my ankles.

Without headphones you tend to loose little guys, at least in my experience. Also sometimes I almost cannot work the detecter without headphones because of wind noise and trees. I respect the rattlesnake comment though. Don't see to many but they are there. headphones let me concentrate more on the slightest little hit. I still use a GM2 but it works fine though its old.

If you are worried about the snakes a good pair of leather boots and a set of chaps is the way to go. Living in AZ for over 50 years and running acrossed a lot of rattlers I can tell you that not all will buzz at you. I always wear headphones because of the wind and I know I would have missed small and deep nugs without them. Good luck and remember always error on the side of safety.

Head phones are a pain. Like having a clamp on your head. Hard to wear a cap or hat. Sweat running down your neck and in your ears.

But if you want more gold their a must! As stated above less wind noise, less noise from your feet in gravel or leaves. Better volume. Better concentration.

If you hear a snake rattle without a head phone you'll hear them better with a head phone.

An external speaker is like listening to a AM radio station while standing outside your car. A head phone is like listening to a FM station while sitting inside the car.

For a stereo sound like surround sound try these.

Earphones.jpg

EAR PHONES. Molded for your ears and you'll hear the little moans or sighs that are deep gold that you've been missing. Their pricey but one deep nugget can more than pay for them. Maybe enough more for a detector also.

Like my 180 gram and 182 gram, both over three feet deep and only 10 feet from each other. Then the 436 gram over three feet deep. All just a whisper in the threshold, no beep.

EAR PHONES. Molded for your ears and you'll hear the little moans or sighs that are deep gold that you've been missing. Their pricey but one deep nugget can more than pay for them. Maybe enough more for a detector also.

Me thinks that's the direction I'll be going. I'm gonna give my earbuds a try and see how they work. They're pretty tight and work great for listening to my music. If not, then I'll go for the molded ear phones. I've got a nice set of black widows, but they're just too hot for this time of the year. They're great for winter time when the temps are in the 40's or 50's.

I like headphones...they keep my ears warm in the summer :)
I just wear snake gator in case I don't hear them rattling.

Tom

I guess I am not experienced enough yet. The sounds that I pass on, I can hear well without phones if I dug every sound I heard I'd would never get anywhere. but I guess I need to try them out some. Still on the fence they are hot.. never had an issue with wind

I can hear the damned machine clearly. Wearing headphones certainly makes the sound clearer, but I really can hear that same sound without them unless there were out side sounds that would hinder my hearing? Just not getting it yet I guess.

When your in the forest and a tree falls, is the man still wrong? LOL

I hear what you are saying skunked. I am kind of in the same boat. I do like wearing headphones but the ground is so mineralized here that if I dug every blip or tiny change in threshold I would spend all day in an area about five feet across. I know it's good to go slow and dig all sounds but I figure there has got to be a happy medium somewhere in between digging every tiny sound I hear and covering enough ground to be effective. then again I don't ever find gold when I detect so I haven't figured it out either.

You don't have to dig every sound. When you become experienced, you will know what is "chatter" and what is not.

Hey, if it's a tiny sound and it could be gold, I'll dig it....

Chris, if an area is so mineralized that you could spend all day in an area 5' across, you need to save it for when you have a detector that will handle it.

If I don't use headphones, I know I'm losing gold.

With headphones I can turn the threshold way down compared to using the speaker. That alone can give you signals that would otherwise be drowned out by running the threshold louder to hear the buzz through the speaker. I would prefer to not use them but I do think youre better off using them to hear the slight changes in threshold

When your in the forest and a tree falls, is the man still wrong?

...........only if your wife is telling you its falling :)
Tom

Right on, thanks LipCa. I think I am starting to get it figured out. There are some spots within this mineralized area that make a lot less noise and have less hot rocks. I will stick to those for now. I would not go so far as to say I've learned the language but I am slowly picking up "words" in the mysterious tongue of the whites goldmaster and I am learning what it's telling me. I think I'm doing ok because I often find pieces of lead that are so small when I put them in my pocket they are almost to tiny to find again with all the dirt in my pocket.

Edited by Caliche Chris

Now your gettn' it CC-all units have a language that you MUST learn to understand. Every snap,crackle,pop,one way hit only and tone tells ya something. Patience and it will some to ya soon-John :head:

The sound of rattle snake is very distracting so I always wear head phones. They also eliminate a lot of other distractions. Many times just a hint of a threshold change can be a nugget. I also have unattractive ears.

Some easy tests can help determine whether headphones actually improve your hearing: 1. My basic test is to use a series of carefully weighed gold targets ranging from .1g down to .002g. If your ears can distinguish the subtle whispers that the very tiniest pieces of gold produce as well as while you are wearing headphones, then you likely are gifted with extraordinary hearing abilities bordering the supernatural. 2. Another approach is to clean out a patch that you've found without using headphones -- or at least you think you've cleaned out. Then ask an experienced, headphone wearing GB2 user to go over the same ground. Comparing results is a compelling way to separate appearances from reality.

In regard to rattlesnakes, over-reliance on hearing them before they strike is a gamble at best. Just wear snake guards. BTW, a pair of tough boots must complement the snake guards. Running shoes or ventilated hiking boots will not protect your toes or other exposed flesh because a rattlesnake's infrared sense organs will not overlook the heat signature thus released. Many times rattlesnakes assume a striking posture at about the same time they rattle. Often your eyes are more reliable than your hearing in this regard -- but nonetheless are still a gamble. I have found that wearing polaroid sunglasses makes certain species of rattlesnakes much less noticeable until they assume a sudden pre strike posture (especially the higher altitude diamondbacks that often are cloaked with an overall much darker, less defined skin pattern). If you encounter a rattlesnake just remain calm and back off carefully, watching where you step as others may be in the vicinity. I will hover my search coil above the snake in a slow, non-menacing manner. This intimidates them and makes them want to back off. Snake guards are good insurance well worth considering.

I know headphones are better in noisy situations but it is a personal preferance. I prefer external speakers in combination with a good amp for several reasons. First is because I like to wear a hat and I don't lIke sweat in my ears. I have plenty of extra volume and if conditions get bad I put on headphones. Use whatever is comfortable and gets you out there.

I like headphones and external speakers at different times. On calm days the externals mounted on my Camelback hydro pack straps just below my ears is an easy choice ... threshold and target volume are then controlled by my GPX5000. if there is any constant wind above about 5 mph then the Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones come into play. These headphones have leather ear cuffs and I sweat less with them. The biggest advantage with these headphones is the individual volume controls and target volume limiter switch. That combination allows me to adjust threshold to a minimum on the detector and max target volume allowing me to hear the tiniest target sound. One of my hunting friends has actually nick-named me the 'crumb master' because of the tiny targets I find with that setup. And just a short note my hearing in my left ear s^(ks ... too much muzzle blast from 22 rifle shooting earlier in life without protection! As for the chaps ... Snake-Gardz are on all the time ... not so much for the snakes as it is for the cactus! Just my way to hear targets and protect myself but it works well for me.

Edited by Mike Furness

I use a noise cancelling headphone in the same way that Mike describes but they have a battery powered volume control that lets me turn down the threshold and then turn up the volume on the headphones. This works well for me on the beach as it kills the wave noise first and then lets me hear targets next.

My problem with this now is that the headphones are really not as crisp as the Gray Ghosts that I have so I wonder if there is a better headphone with its own power. The Gray Ghosts kill my big ears so in the desert I use the Koss UR-30s that Minelab sells with the detectors.

Plastic surgery will change that! :) Seriously though there doesn't seem to be many headphone sets offered to miners with large ear cuffs for those endowed with larger ears. I like the size of the UR-30's but I definitely need individual volume controls.

Mike F

Hey Guys,

Any opinions or reviews on "Nugget Busters", "Black Widows", or "Killer B's" ? All I've used in the last ten years

are Koss, so I'd like to know more about what's out there.

Ben