Nugget Shooter Forums

identification

Could be a weathered chondrite. Where was it found, generally speaking? What is its bulk density? Did you file a window and does it show metal fleks?

hi Mikestang

I from western sahara and i find this stone in sahara,and about density stone 530 g

Well that's what I would have guessed from looking at it, that if it was a meteorite it's probably from NWA. If you could polish a window in it that would help to confirm if it is a meteorite.

530g is the stone's mass, bulk density is a different measurement. The easiest way to measure it is:

1) Get the mass of the stone (you have this already), this is M1.

2) Fill a container with distilled water, place it on your scale and zero the scale.

3) Suspend your rock on a thin piece of string and hang into the container of water, completely submerging the rock. Do not let the rock touch the sides or bottom of the container. Record this mass, M2.

4) Bulk density = M1 / M2

A chondrite meteorite should have a bulk density of 3.3-3.5 (not a definitive test, but a good indicator).

Edited by Mikestang

Mike I just sent you a PM Please e-mail me jimstraig@earthlink.net.... thanks jim

Mikestang re: togba's photos... I do not recommend this as it could destroy the value. But when I have found a weathered

coin such as a shield nickel at Pogue station bsck in 2008 I scrubbed hard against my pants legs and also in fine sand until

the shine of its metal came thru...

If there are condi-bumps, couldn't this scrubbing and rubbing trick also work for any nickel-iron metal to shine???

It sure looks like there could be chondi bumps mssked by a shallow fusion crust... I hope togba has found a patch of

Meteorites... jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jim,

As a rule, windowing a stone does not affect it's commercial value, even if it is something exotic like

a lunar, or a martian meteorite. Anything that helps to identify it is good. In fact, found meteorites

actually LOSE value because of things like the finder not having the coordinates of the find location,

which would ADD to the provenance of the stone, thus increasing value. Without that exact location,

it becomes just another NWA. Chemical contamination could lessen the value, so most hunters clean

their finds with plain old soap and water. I have seen meteorites that are too pretty to window or cut, but they

were obvious meteorites, and were found well within a known strewnfield,and shared the same characteristics
as other meteorites from that strewnfield. Value is also increased by the rep of the finder, with any in-situ photos,

or stories associated with the finding of the specimen and that particular hunt. Even meteorite fragments

that are found in the same spot, are worth more when they are found to fit, and are kept together as a group.

Old coins are man-made, and are therefore artifacts or antiquities that would lose value if physically marred

in any way, and I have yet to see a nugget-hunter file a window into a lunker to confirm it's made of gold,

because nuggets have visual esthetic value, but meteorites don't really fall into either of those categories.

In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a meteorite dealer that isn't selling blocks, slices, and end-cuts.

Cheers, Ben

Ben

storied about

T is top and B is bottom. N S E W are compass directions and can be used for in-situ photos to record the orientation of the find (not really all that useful for meteorites, but useful for other photography pursuits).

Edited by Mikestang

Top and bottom as found, or if you take a photo and flip the rock over you have a means to convey how the orientation of the rock (or whatever you're photographing, scale cubes are not germane to meteorites) has changed from photo to photo.

Hey Blackbird,

Usually, but larger doesn't always translate into more valuable unless there is not much of

that particular meteorite material available on the market to be sold in the first place, or it comes

from a fall where large stones are rare, or it is so visually striking, that it is going to be sold to a museum

or private collector with deep pockets. Otherwise, you'll see a price drop (per gram) past a certain size.

Ben