Nugget Shooter Forums

Who Is Eligible to Vote in the United States of America

Mike Furness

Dumb question I know BUT ... I have been doing a lot of reading and almost every article says something about a certain percentage of NON citizens are registered to vote and in fact do vote! And I know this has been going on for a long time because a couple of these articles are well over 25 years old! Did I miss something in my civics class many moons ago where I learned that in order to vote in the USA you had to be a CITIZEN of the USA! Last time I checked that did not mean a citizen of the Country of East Overshoe or any other country outside the all inclusive 50 states and its territories who happened to be living as a resident (a resident is not necessarily a citizen) of any part of the United States of America. In short if you're not a Citizen of this Country you can't vote in our elections. Somebody please correct this old soul if I missed something where we allow resident aliens to vote! Thank you.

Mike F

Unfortunately many states don't do their due diligence when registering "citizens" :grr01: for voting, which is the major problem, IMHO

Hopefully you can get the answer from this, but you would also have the check each state's requirements and voter eligibility to see what it takes to vote in state's elections.

http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Voting/Register.shtml

"Voter Eligibility

To be eligible to vote, you must be a U.S. citizen. In most states, you must be 18 years old to vote, but some states do allow 17 year olds to vote. States also have their own residency and identification requirements to vote. For additional information about state-specific requirements and voter eligibility, contact your state election office."

Au Seeker ... I saw all that when I researched the issue ... I more or less posted it out of pure frustration that "we" have allowed non-citizens to get away with and illegal vote in this country tipping the scales in some very close races to one side. I guess you may say that I posted it as a rhetorical question ... I wasn't particularly looking for a further definition as the title of the post might suggest so much as what might be done about policing it. I just frustrates me to no end that it is allowed! I for one would turn in anyone who I believed to be ineligible to vote! I consider it a sacred right and duty as a citizen of the United States to voice my vote in every election and to protect that vote from being diluted by those who are not eligible but are able to cast a vote nonetheless!

Thanks for allowing me to spew a little venom without be censored! :)

Mike

Edited by Mike Furness

I sure am glad I'm gonna be dead in a few years. Thank you God, for letting me live in a time when there were no locked doors; guns were just guns; everyboy had a scar to talk about; we still pushed bullies down in the school yard for messing with our brother or sister; cold water from a hose; no shoes no helmet on a bicycle; no seatbelts or airbags; 25-cent packs of cigarettes; penny candy; 35-cents-a-gallon gasoline; one vote for each 18-year-old-or-better Citizen... Oh, how I miss those days. My kids really dropped the ball on their politics and Country Club connections!

The distinction is in what office is being voted for.

United States Congressional representatives and Presidential electors can only be voted for by United States Citizens.

The local dogcatcher or mayor can be voted for by any qualified state resident. What residents are qualified to vote in local elections varies by state law - not Federal or Constitutional law.

In California and quite a few other states non US citizen residents can run for as well as vote for local offices. That is where your non-citizen voters come from.

If you don't want non citizens voting in your local elections you will need to arrange to amend your state's constitution.

Ignoring the elephant in the room, United States elected offices can only be occupied by United States Citizens. Obviously if people are stupid enough to elect Idi Amin or Hitler for President then they get what we deserve. Who would be crazy enough to argue with 50+ % of the population? :4chsmu1:

Strictly one mans opinion :old:

Edited by clay

Im not really into politic debates but something that really pisses me off is when I got my ballet to vote it was in spanish as well as english-WTH I thought in order to be a voting citizen you had to know english :grr01: Just my 2 cents :nutty: Mike C... :200:

Grubstake is right, in Illinois, it's a time honored tradition for the cemetery occupants to vote in all major elections. And in the 2012 elections, several Ohio counties reported having 125% of all possible eligible voters turning out to vote, and thereby changed the laws of physics.......now THAT"S enthusiasm!

Ben