Nugget Shooter Forums

New Mexico vs. Arizona detecting

Well it seems obvious Arizona has bigger and more gold than New Mexico. I am constantly amazed by some of the pics and stories I read about you Arizona fellas and the stuff you can find with a detector. I have found maybe a half dozen pieces of gold with my vsat and they have all been under a half gram. I am just wondering if anyone of you from Az has ever done any detecting in NM, specifically the hillsboro or caballo districts. I would like to know some advice for this area and what kind of gold could be expected with a detector. I am hands down convinced a dry washer is the way to go here. Everytime I think about breaking out the detector for a few days I just think ,would I rather spend a few days detecting and almost certainly get nothing, or would I rather dry wash those days and for sure I will have a decent pile of gold. Mostly small stuff but a detectable size piece always pops up every so often in the dry washer. I have read every geological report and write up on this area I can find online and I've not found anything that is very specific as to what mines produced what size and type of gold so I don't even know where to start here.

Well friend I drywash with has two detectors and doesnt use them. All the gold is small but it adds up. I had a guy come through where I was digging and his detector never made a sound and in the meantime I kept drywashing small stuff out of the ground he went over. Now I kinda think drywashing where nuggets have been found with detector only might just be a profitable spot

Well I would love a detector but all that I have watched never found gold !!! So I need to have someone show me to get me going on it for sure and then my bad hearing would probably screw that up !

• Like 1

Blackbird, you are right. I have had the pleasure of detecting with him a few times. He is darn good at it. The last time we went he found about 8 pieces to my zero, that was in a two day period. The biggest just over a gram. I just pulled out trash. We weren't in a wash or anything just on a slope of ground right off the road. A spot most people drive past by about 6 miles because everyone is under the impression you have to go four wheeling for about an hour before getting to good gold. Out here it seems to take hours or several days to get on a piece sometimes. I am referring to the pics I see of people holding ten or more detectable pieces from one afternoon of AZ detecting, just wondering if there are spots like that here.

Here in New Mexico, Dry washing or Sluice is 90 more productive then a Detector unless your BedRockBob. He seems to have a nose that can sniff the suff out. Been here well over 20 years and the Gold here is Smallish to the most parts. Did Find a two gram nugget in PA one time by chance. That one I Panned out by hand.

Edited by homefire

Caliche Chris--not everyone has luck in AZ. I've never found a piece in all the times I went detecting. I go to the LSD area like a lot of others here. I haven't had the luck of my Minelab XTerra getting on top of a piece big enough to for it to detect. Biggest piece found through a dry washer here by the LSD was .29 grams.

Ok cool, Chrisski, I guess it's just a few really good spots that some people have found. I am starting to think that maybe the difference in NM and AZ is not so much the concentration of gold in a given area but maybe the gold fields or gold bearing grounds just take up more acreage out there. So I might have a smaller patch to work with but maybe it holds its own equally rich spots in hidden places that I've not found.