Nugget Shooter Forums

Fake gold?!

Caliche Chris

A friend of mine gave me a vial with about a gram and a half of gold in it. There were two good size pickers and some small stuff. I was pretty excited. That is until I got home and started checking out the big pieces with a loupe. There is a pretty obvious spot were the two pieces were cut with wire cutters. Also I scratched it and there seems to be a color under there that isn't gold. What do you guys think this stuff is? i thought they looked a little weird as soon as I saw them. But I've only mined New Mexico gold so I just figured it looked a little different being from a different area. post-26514-0-08950500-1414278952_thumb.jpost-26514-0-17277400-1414278975_thumb.j

Yea Jim, it does look pretty dang close. But I also notice when I have it in the vial with stuff I know is gold, these pieces look more shiny and glossy than the real stuff. I've seen slight variations in the color/and shade of gold though so I'm not sure about these....

Stop in at a Jeweler , you should be able to find out fast I would think. Now the friend I prospect with has some real ugly nuggets that I would have considered plain old rocks.

edit: I noticed a big difference in gold from Quartszite compared to what I found above Congress

Edited by devilishjim

Heat'm up outside,hit with a drop of nitric or take to a pawn shop for positive ID. Plated or electroless is quite a bit brighter usually. Too much quartzy material,and small,for a specific gravity test. Lotza luck. John

Cool, i will try the acid test and see if it alters them at all good idea John.

You might be on to something Dave! They both had that wire on the middle of them that had been clipped off, I can see how they could've been earrings, they are the same size too. That is a good possibility!

Chris looks to me to be small gold nuggets gold soldered together?. or they had jewlery mountings heated and pulled off. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Thanks guys, I do believe I am going with the earring theory. I am keeping these so I am not going to do the acid test because I don't mind if it's not pure gold. Too bad I allready gave one away to a buddy to use for a test nugget on his gold bug. I will have to swap it out so I can have the matching nugs again. i wish they hadn't cut the mounts off I could've given them to my mom.

Hey J, I did ask him. He goes to yard sales a lot. He found them at a yard sale in a little vial with a few other pieces and got almost two grams for 5$ because the lady didn't know what it was. The vial had a sticker on it that said " panned at knots berry farm" wether or not any of it came from knots berry I do not know. But that's the story I got from him. He is not a prospector so I know he didn't find them and definitely didn't "make" them.

Chris looks to me to be small gold nuggets gold soldered together?. or they had jewlery mountings heated and pulled off. AzNuggetBob

^^^ I'd agree 100%. I've handled quite a few fakes over the years, they generally don't look that real. Yours Look like 2 genuine nuggets that had loops soldered onto them to make jewelry that were later cut off. It pretty much ruins them from a collectors standpoint, but it's still gold most likely.

IDdesertman I think you have some jewelery making experience too. I agree I think the nuggets are genuine and it does take the value away as quality nugget jewelry when the gold solder bleeds across the nuggets. If I had to guess Id say the maker just decided to clip the posts for re-use and scrap the nuggets. I have to say when I first started making nugget jewelry I had to scrap a few. :grr01::cry2: AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

I missed the last few responses somehow, just now seeing them. Cool, thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I am glad to hear the look like real gold. I am using the one I kept for a test nugget too. I could never bring myself to glue one of my dry-washed pieces to a poker chip. I am gonna listen to this one at different depths and hope it helps me in the field.

Just a thought, couldn't a jeweler just "touch" the nipped spot with some heat and help it look more natural?

It would still most likely have the same appearance, its pretty tough to hide that sort of thing once its been done.

If they were mine and I was trying to sell them, I'd put some posts back onto the nuggets.. I'm not sure why someone snipped the posts off in the first place, but turning them back into earrings will probably make them worth more than just scrapping them. Once in a while I acquire a larger nugget that has a snipped end where a pendant loop was on it. I just put a loop back onto it.

Or just use em as test nuggets like Chris is. :D