Nugget Shooter Forums

SDC 2300, my thoughts so far....

Well I have about 20 hours or a little less on the new Minelab SDC 2300 and so far am impressed with this detector and it does exactly as Minelab says it will. It finds smaller gold incredibly well and at considerable depth. I have not done any real side by side testing with the other PI units I own, but have been purposely hunting hammered patches at the LSD and Quartzsite areas and I have hunted most of these areas in the past with the GPX 5000 and it's predecessors as well as the ATX and so have many of you on this forum. That being said there are a couple things I had to get used to.

First the threshold is NOT like the SD and GPX series we are used to and is somewhat "fluttery" for lack of a better term and at first took some getting used to. Thought it was a problem, but after talking to others using the detector it seems this is the norm for this new technology that allows for the hyper sensitivity to small targets.

Also the signal it gives in no way will prepare you for how small a target this detector will hear at several inches deep. If the SDC 2300 gives a repeatable signal no matter how faint it is a target or rare hot rock and there is very little ground noise to deal with. Also no falsing when bumped, really none....

So far I am up to 9 small nuggets in 4 trips out totaling around 20 hours as mentioned and it is nice to be nailing a little bit almost every trip again. I have also dug some trash targets from over a foot deep which assure me this detector will hear a good sized 1/4 or better ounce nugget at a pretty good depth though not near as deep as a GPX 5000 equipped with a larger coil. In shallow ground the SDC will hold the edge for sure.....

More to come and sorry about the crappy iphone pic, but you get the idea....

10348526_772177499509758_726093345283917

I've got pieces of a gram plus to 6 inches depth. In Alaska, I got a specimen with a good quarter ounce of gold which is much more gold than rock by weight, and got it at around 9 inches and it was not a weak signal, though not a screamer. So yes, it will get good sized stuff deeper, though not as deep as a GPX in the bigger stuff. The 3/4 ouncer I got screamed, but it was only a couple inches deep.

WTG! :) Nice nugs.

Pretty cool your getting them out of hammered areas.

Tom H.

Yup and will be at LSD this weekend, but not at the flats as planned since the road is too washed out at Littls San Domingo wash to get the coach in. Will be camped at the top of the hill at the quarry before the turn off Castle Hot Springs road to Little San Domingo Wash. Stop up and say hello.

Yes Kelly small gold still pays the same and piles up pretty fast plus there is lots of it yet out there in hammered areas where tagging a sizable nuggets are few and far between.

:thumbsupanim Tons a au 2 u 2 with your new tool as there are so many new ones now to try. I'm working the Notka Fors at this time and quite a bit different from american operation,heading to the boonies as town tests inconclusive.-John

• Like 1

Checked out their website ... Looks like the Nokta is just another, somewhat expensive, VLF operating at about 15 Hz...That seems like it would not be so sensitive to small gold???? Looking forward to your hands on experience with it... Cheers, Unc

Very interested in the 2300 as that small a gold that deep on a pulse is VERY different. 3 days at our rock show and 1 day to heal and back on the testing trail hopefully. Hope ya find some righteous species this weekend Bill :thumbsupanim John

Got 7 more this weekend out at LSD, biggest was .5 g.... Having fun with this detector and is much like a GPX 5000 in sensitive/fine timings as I said before, but more sensitive to small stuff at depth I think. Very compact with no extra cords etc as well as no bungee cord needed. Also there is literally zero false signals as I also mentioned which is pretty cool....

Finds so far....

10702024_774389869288521_719389817314180

how good does it discriminate?

The SDC 2300 has no discrimination setting. Its a fixed mono coil, and the Minelab discrimination only works with a DD coil, so it has no discrimination.

Edited by Reno Chris

Nice looking gold Bill :)
Glad you were able to snag some this weekend also.

I wasn't able to make it up your way.

Tom