Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

melanievoita

Meteorite?

sure melanie that looks like a meteorite

Whats that you say? You really appreciate any positive feedback.I am really wondering what kind of metal rocks do not stick too a magnet.Is there possibly anyone here in phoenix who can find some time to discuss a couple of things of things with me.I have some molten looking rocks that do not stick to a magnet ,yet when i file into them , they are clearly metal,with a fusion crust ,under my magnifying glass they appear to have like a peacock color.Also is there rocks from earth that have the round things in them.my camera really is not good.my number is 602 741- 1584 Sincerely Melanie

Not a meteorite, they do not look like that, sorry.

Not all metals are attracted to a magnet. Iron, nickel, and cobalt are the only ones that you would expect to come across that are attracted to a magnet. So that leaves every other type of metal that exists to not be attracted.

Meteorites do not appear molten, they do not melt, only the outer few millimeters heats up at all during atmospheric entry.

If you're seeing rainbows that's probably bornite, also known as peacock copper. It is a copper & iron sulphide.

Yes, there are rocks from Earth with round things in them.

In any of your 3 posts it would have been appropriate to state why you think you found a meteorite and what tests you performed to try and figure it out. Based on the picture you posted it would be a safe bet that none of your rocks are meteorites.

Hi Melanie,

Your molten-looking rocks are not meteorites. It appears to be slag, which can be found all across the state,

anywhere that there has been mining, and particularly where ever there is a railroad, since it is commonly used as

bedding for the ties and rails. It is known for that rainbow color on the inside, or where there is a fresh break. don't

let it bother you. A lot of folks pick up slag when they start hunting meteorites. Please tell us more about the

rocks from the earth that have round things in them. I know it isn't easy, but maybe you could get a photo in

daylight, and a close-up of the round parts, if possible. And please give a more detailed description, IE, light

or heavy for it's size, colorization, is it attracted to a magnet, smooth or rough exterior surface, holes, pits, or bubbles,

crystals, cleavage, hardness, etc. Does it leave a streak on the back (unglazed side) of a ceramic tile? if so,

what color is the streak? If you don't have tile handy, use the underside of your porcelain toilet-tank lid. You have

a sharp eye, or you would not have noticed the details of your rocks, so should check out the details on known

meteorites, like in the great collection at ASU. Check it out.

Good Hunting, Ben

When you found it, was there a GPS laying next to it? If not, I am afraid its not a meteorite, sorry.

You see, most meteorites come with a free GPS courtesy of planet E5

Botryoidal Hematite. Do a streak test and see if it turns out red.

I do not have a good magnet they do not stick .Leave no marks on the tile scratch test.well the one with the rings leaves chalky brown.I am not a real good at typing, I would rather talk on the phone or in person. :idunno:

To all you meteorite guys… isn't there a set format or web site that you guys have universally adopted that you can refer the "is this a meteorite" crowd too?

This web site seems to be a good starting point for those that are trying to identify a space rock.

Here's another one that looks quite interesting.

Even NASA is getting in on the "identify a space rock" game.

Seems to me that a space rock newbie has an awful lot of information at their disposal to help them identify their rocks… am I wrong? :idunno:

I think I looked at every picture on the internet of meteorites I seen these kinds just like these .Lunar or martian

Thank You So much :yesss:

azbb...there is tons of info, on the web, in books and at museums and Schools...No, there is not one definitive source.

it is easier to post a picture and ask...get a negative answer and then try to show why experienced opinions must be wrong...no Blue ribbon on this one...

fred

it is easier to post a picture and ask...get a negative answer and then try to show why experienced opinions must be wrong...

That seems to be the trend lately with all these newbies posting their newly found rocks… :rolleyes:

Seems to me if I was out hunting for space rocks, I would want to learn everything I could about them. I would want to conduct every test possible in helping me to identify whether what I have is space rock or not... and then only as a last resort ask an expert if I was totally stumped. That's just me though… :arrowheadsmiley:

I think I looked at every picture on the internet of meteorites I seen these kinds just like these .

I can say with certainty that they are not meteorites. To the novice, comparing pictures on the internet makes it seem like every strange rock you find is a meteorites (it looks *exactly* like this!), but the reality is far different. Continue to educate yourself about meteorites and take every advantage you can to see as many as possible IN PERSON. Go to ASU, to the gem show in Tucson, to the exhibit at the Challenger Center, but you have to see them and hold them and get intimate with them to learn what they look like.

Seems to me if I was out hunting for space rocks, I would want to learn everything I could about them. I would want to conduct every test possible in helping me to identify whether what I have is space rock or not... and then only as a last resort ask an expert if I was totally stumped. That's just me though… :arrowheadsmiley:

Yes, that would be the preferred way to do it, but it's much easier to post a picture of your iron ore and claim you found a meteorite and all you're looking for is confirmation.

The problem is you can't learn about something from looking at pictures of it on the internet. You have to immerse yourself in it in real life and examine things first hand. That is, after all, how science works.

I'm basically a doctor, you know, because I google symptoms and look at pictures and can tell what's wrong with you from a blurry cell phone picture.

I do not have a good magnet they do not stick .Leave no marks on the tile scratch test.well the one with the rings leaves chalky brown.I am not a real good at typing, I would rather talk on the phone or in person. :idunno:

Not all iron ore is attracted to a magnet.

If you want to talk rocks in person I suggest joining a local rock or geology club, they can tell you all about earth rocks and ores.

I'm basically a doctor, you know, because I google symptoms and look at pictures and can tell what's wrong with you from a blurry cell phone picture.

WTF is it with people that post those blurry out of focus pictures of their rocks? I would be ashamed of myself for posting such trash, and then asking a knowledgable person if what I have is a space rock or not. Are people really that ignorant? :grr01:

Wow I guess you guys really told me.lol I think you have too much time on your hands and your Haters

Wow I guess you guys really told me.lol I think you have too much time on your hands and your Haters

Yep, that's it... :rolleyes:

WTF is it with people that post those blurry out of focus pictures of their rocks? I would be ashamed of myself for posting such trash, and then asking a knowledgable person if what I have is a space rock or not. Are people really that ignorant? :grr01:

Whats wrong with the pictures ? I thought they looked fine......Why you being so hostile AZBB :nono: its just a internet forum

Hey Mike , I didn't know you were a doctor :D

melanievoita

As in any forum.....we have some cantankerous people here also.

Don't sweat it.....keep posting.

Hope you find some good stuff out there.

If you have a metal detector, a good place to find a meteorite is Gold basin up above Kingman.

Tom H.

melanievoita

Hope you find some good stuff out there.

If you have a metal detector, a good place to find a meteorite is Gold basin up above Kingman.

Tom H.

Hey Tom, I went above Kingman, and they told me it was restricted air space. I did however go North of Kingman, and found a couple meteorites :4chsmu1:

ARG......u goober.

Tom

Thank you TomH.I Really do appreciate You saying that.

Whats wrong with the pictures ? I thought they looked fine......Why you being so hostile AZBB :nono: its just a internet forum

Just a general statement. Wasn't directed at the poster. You do have to admit though, most pics posted by the "is this a space rock" crowd are for the most part usually blurry or way out of focus. Kinda defeats the purpose wouldn't you say? :89:

As for the OP, I (like many others here) would suggest she learn everything she can about space rocks. Like Mike said… look at them, hold them, caress them, and become one with the meteorite. Then and only then can you become a space rock Jedi. :4chsmu1: