Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite?

Name: My name is Jason Gibbs and I am by far an amateur meteorite hunter. However, I have done quite a bit of research on meteorite identification and this rock is by far the closest thing I have found to resembling a meteorite.

Location of Find: Galveston, Texas on the beach. I know that there have only been two confirmed meteorites found on beaches, and the likelihood is remote, but I still want to be sure before I throw this rock away.

Size: Approximately the length and height of a nickel coin as seen in PIC 7 attached.

Reasoning:

PIC 1: Attracts both strong and weak magnets. Pictured are "rare earth" magnets but I also tested the rock with a "cheap" magnet and the rock has strong attraction to both magnets. Rock does not have magnetic properties of it's own.

PIC 2: Rock is quite weathered but does have what resembles the remnants of a fusion crust. While it is difficult to see in the image, it looks as if the rock has a regmaglypt on the lower left of the rock in the image.

PIC 3: More possible weathered fusion crust.

PIC 4: There is a chip out of the upper right corner of the rock in the image that appears to have very small chondrules. Additionally, the upper edge of the rock in the image shows possible fusion crust with rounding "lip" of the upper edge.

PIC 5: This surface has been grinded and appears to have visible metallic flakes and possible olivine/silica inclusion.

PIC 6: Matrix of rock is a different color than the outer surface of the rock. More possible metallic flakes.

PIC 7: Approx. length and height of a nickel coin. I do not have a way to weigh the rock and because of it's size it is hard to tell if it weighs more than a terrestrial rock.

Additional: Rock does set off metal detector. I do not have an expensive metal detector but it indicates "iron", "dime", and "quarter".

Thank you for any help possibly identifying this rock.

Jason

post-27356-0-29074300-1412027750_thumb.j

post-27356-0-45982900-1412027847_thumb.j

post-27356-0-50412700-1412027900_thumb.j

post-27356-0-79518300-1412027959_thumb.j

post-27356-0-65029800-1412028090_thumb.j

post-27356-0-99962500-1412028271_thumb.j

post-27356-0-04637500-1412028302_thumb.j

post-27356-0-51244700-1412028412_thumb.j

post-27356-0-13030200-1412028562_thumb.j

jason i would usually just ignore this type of post...But, you are trying...

besides, your rock looks alot like some Gold Basin meteorites I have found.

There is one almost 100% sure way to know if this is a chrondrite...take a flat whetstone and grind the flatest edge until it is smooth, wash it with alcohol, let it dry. Take your loop 10x and look closely. IF you see metal flecks and roundish features you likely have a chrondrite of some type....

Please don't tell me you haven't a whetstone, they are cheap or borrow one...you won't need it long.

Most likely you have found another piece of slag from god knows where....

keep searching

fred

Hi, Jason. It doesn't look like a meteorite to me either, looks like slag, but like Fred said, a clear shot of your filed window (you indicated picture 5 shows the window, but I couldn't find it) will help.

Two example of windows I've filed using a whetstone as Fred described (go to Home Depot and ask for a sharpening stone for your lawn mower, a big rectangle one like this):

CoyoteWindow.jpg

StewartValleyWindowFind.jpg

Hello Fred,

Thank you for responding to my post. While the above pictures are as closely focused as I could get them, on pictures 2 and 4 you can clearly see the metallic flakes. What led me to speculate whether this might be a meteorite is the fact that "traditional" slag does not share the same characteristics as the rock I found.

1. Most (but not all) of the slag I have seen is usually vesicular (either on the inside or outside) and any metal "flakes" present in slag usually has a random pattern and/or is too large. While it is hard to see in the images, the rock I found contains what I believe to be metal flakes that are evenly dispersed throughout the entire matrix and all of the flakes are basically the same size.

2. When coarsely grinded, the metal inside slag does not usually streak across the surface like the Fe-Ni does in meteorites. The "metal" present in my rock does appear to streak across the surface.

3. Additionally, on the outer surfaces of the rock some metallic flakes can be seen, especially on the areas that appear to have the remains of a fusion crust.

4. As for the presence of chondrules, if they are present they would likely be in the smallest 0.02mm (CH) range. If they are not actually grains of sand, they are the size of sand grains and it is hard with my 10X loop to see if they actually look like chondrules.

Additionally, after reading your response I sanded the face of the stone some more and uncovered some kind of inclusion in the matrix. My first impression was that it was a piece of a sea shell since I found the rock near the beach. However, after a closer look with the loop, the metallic grains can be seen encircling the inclusion and there are some metallic grains actually on the surface of the inclusion. Very strange?

Anyway, this rock is unlike any I have seen. I emailed Randy Korotev and he said that he could not tell from the images and to send to lab for analysis but the rock is small enough as it is and I do not want to break any pieces off of it. He stated the same thing you did, to grind a window and look for metal flakes but I did that on "day 1" and have attached the pictures to both him and you that I believe display metal flakes clearly. The flakes are distinctly metallic and do not resemble any other reflective surfaces I have seen on rocks before.

Thank you again for your reply,

Jason

Hello Mike,

I may have gotten my PIC numbers mixed up....my bad. The second and fourth pictures show the window. The window is actually the entire side of the rock. The metallic flakes can be seen mainly around the outer edges but because the rock is so weathered, it does not want to allow me to window the entire surface without crumbling pieces. I have been using fine grit sand paper. I think I have whetstone somewhere though and will give that a try. The fact that sand paper even works at all might be an indication of a meteorwrong. The rock seems to "sedimentary" to be a meteorite but I have heard of badly weathered meteorites that will "crumble" so I do not know. I have done a lot of image searches on slag to see if I can find any that resembles my rock and I cannot find any that have the same characteristics. Most of the slag I have seen is vesicular and the metal flakes are not evenly dispersed throughout the matrix. For the most part, all of the metal flakes I see in the matrix of this rock are all the same size. I cannot see well enough with a 10X loop to tell if chondrules are present because the grains are too small. If this is some form of slag, it would have to be slag containing a large amount of small grain like structures and evenly dispersed metallic flakes of basically the same size. Another thing that I read is that the metal flakes in slag, when coarsely grinded, do not streak across the surface because the metal is "too hard". The flakes in my rock streak across the surface when grinded.

Not sure what the rock is, but whatever it is it has proven to be hard to exclude. I have done countless hours of studying this rock and researching meteorite characteristics.

I did read one website that mentioned some form of slag that is produced from metallic material being washed down rivers into the ocean and accumulating in sand but every picture I found did not resemble my rock.

Thank you for your response.

Jason

Hey, Mike, those are great examples, excellent photos!

Jason you may be describing what i think would be armoured chondrules...find a copy of O. Richard Nortons encyclopedia or a similar reference...

Using sanding paper will work, start course then work down to fine...the metal is easy to see with a loupe. Seeing Chrondules is better (for me) from a distance, also your color vision will affect what you can see.

You could always mail the rock to someone like me for an opinion...mine isn't worth much but..........................

just remember wanting won't change what the rock really is

fred

if they are present they would likely be in the smallest 0.02mm (CH) range

Much too small to be chondrules, and your mystery rock is certainly not a CH carbonaceous meteorite.

You can look at pictures all day long on the net and not see examples of everything that's out there. I have found numerous "rusty rocks" like this, I keep them all "just in case", but I know they're not meteorites.

Keep looking, when you find one there won't be a doubt as to what it is.

Fred and Mike,

Thank you guys I really appreciate the input.

I know that wanting a rock to be a meteorite does not make it one and like many people I may have skewed reality a little in my mind. I just don't want to exclude the rock until I am fully sure. I will probably end up sending the rock to an expert for visual inspection. I just cannot get past three main things regarding the rock. The first thing is the magnetic attraction. The rock will adhere (suspended upside down) to the weakest (refrigerator) magnet I could find. Second is the visible metal flakes that are evenly dispersed throughout the entire rock and that streak across the surface. Last is the fact that, in my opinion, it actually looks like a rock and not traditional "slag".

Again thank you so very much for your input. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Jason

The rock will adhere (suspended upside down) to the weakest (refrigerator) magnet I could find.

Jason, this may be a good indication that it is, in fact, iron slag. Typically a weak or "regular" magnet will not stick to a chondrite meteorite because chondrites only contain about 20% free iron, thus the reason meteorite hunters use much stronger "rare earth" magnets when looking for meteorites, whereas an old rusty, corroded piece of scrap iron or slag will be attracted to a weak magnet. I've found many, many, many pieces of junk that look just like a meteorite, but they hit my rare earth magnet so hard I know they're just terrestrial iron.

A friend of mine new to the hobby who has several real meteorite finds under his belt already had a whole bag of these "finds". The pictures he emailed me looked like the real deals, but when I saw them in person and put them to my magnet I told him, "Dude, I think these are all scrap." He wasn't sure at first, so I had him file windows and every single one revealed a shiny metallic interior, indicating my i.d. by magnet had been correct.

Do have someone look at it in person, always better that way.

Edited by Mikestang

Fred and Mike,

Thank you guys for taking the time to steer me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate it. After several people confirming what you guys were saying about the rock I decided to break a piece off of the side of it to get a better look at the inside. It had a long tubular like structure horizontally through the rock from front to back.

Definitely a meteorwrong!

On the bright side, I still get to find my first meteorite.

Thanks again,

Jason