Nugget Shooter Forums

Nugget Wranglers ... Quartzite AZ

Mike Furness

Anyone know what the whole story is ... club lost all their claims. Duane posted on their website they have no claims and therefore not accepting memberships/money. Did the Crits get more land? Did they take over all of the Tom Wells area? I knew they were in negotiations with the BLM regarding their claims but I never asked what the negotiations were all about.

Mike F

Did the Crits get more land?

Mike F

No Mike.....

That's not the case at all... My money was returned to me when I tried to renew. It`s really a shame though as Dwayne is a really cool guy , and I always looked forward to any Quartzsite trips and or outings.. Don`t need to be in a club however and there`s open land for those that can research. Not spoiling my love for the area either, as I plan on making several trips there this season. :head:

If he gets a club back together , I will be more than happy to re-join

Edited by adam

I knew they were in negotiations with the BLM regarding their claims but I never asked what the negotiations were all about.

Clay said it had to do with the small miner exemptions. Which poses a question. If a club owns more than 10 claims, do they or have they ever qualified for the small miners exemption? Just wondering... :idunno:

Clay said it had to do with the small miner exemptions. Which poses a question. If a club owns more than 10 claims, do they or have they ever qualified for the small miners exemption? Just wondering... :idunno:

That's a good question. I know the BLM had required Proof of Discovery from the largest club in AZ on their large claims. 40 - 160 acres. The club did not pay 2015 maintenance fees on those claims and filed on the same ground as 20 acre claims on 9/3/2014 for the claims in Maricopa County. So more claims but same acres. And that club was not singled out for Proof of Discovery as many individuals faced the same issue when they held large claims as a sole claimant.

The Nugget Wranglers claims were held in individuals names. It appears they had an opportunity to correct the small miners in 2013 and ended up appealing the BLM closure last year. The IBLA ruled against them this year so technically the claims have been closed for more than a year.

I like the club and Dwayne is a nice guy. I hope they can pull it together this year. Maybe Lunk can find them some good open ground?

Claims made in a club's name can only be 20 acres, just like a corporation or any other organization only counts as one claimant. A single individual (including corporations and clubs) can own a claim of more than 20 acres if it has been perfected. I've never even heard of a club that tried to perfect their claims.

It wasn't the size of the claims in the Nugget Wranglers case. The Desert Gold Diggers out of Tuscon had the same thing happen with their claims last year - small miners that was over the limit. They made their larger claims into 20 acres so their fees were smaller.

Edited by clay

It would have to be a very rich claim to perfect a desert placer claim would it not?

???

It's already been done thousands of times in Arizona Stan. It's what miners do when they discover a potentially profitable deposit.

Besides the evidence of thousands of already patented mineral discoveries (by definition they were all perfected) it's how the many junior mining companies build value in their discoveries. A proven deposit increases interest and value in a junior miner's stock and potentially can be sold to a large mining group. An unproven deposit will have a very hard time finding any interest in the stock market or with mining companies.

Arizona has several world class deposits. There are many perfected claims here - not all of them are being mined right now but there is no requirement that a perfected claim be mined.

Agreed John. It's a stupid thing to take away the patent incentive.

It's still wise to perfect your claim. Perfecting protects the claim against challenges from the agencies and prevents having your claim taken in a mineral withdrawal, wilderness, national park or wild and scenic river creation.

You also put yourself in the position of being first in line for a patent when funding resumes. :yesss:

It's still wise to perfect your claim. Perfecting protects the claim against challenges from the agencies and prevents having your claim taken in a mineral withdrawal, wilderness, national park or wild and scenic river creation. :yesss:

Hey Clay,

For those newbies here (me), could you explain just how a guy goes about "perfecting" a claim.

???

It's already been done thousands of times in Arizona Stan. It's what miners do when they discover a potentially profitable deposit.

That was the point of my post. It seems to me to it take a very rich deposit on a desert placer claim for it to be potentially profitable. Especially these days with over zealous agencies requiring extreme measures prior to issuing permits. I really don't KNOW what agencies would be involved in starting a mining and processing operation, but can imagine several would become involved. And gold recovery in a desert placer would be an expensive operation on it's own.

Like AZ posted I would like some more info or at least where to find it on the process of perfecting a claim. I know you are very busy Clay and appreciate the time and effort you spend to explain this stuff to all of us. Thanks

If you give the BLM a few thousand bucks they will let you do about anything you want Stan - it really is all about the money. Not sure what you mean by "extreme measures" unless you sign your checks in a new and interesting way. :rolleyes:

Most exploratory work performed to perfect a claim will not even need a permit.

Perfecting a claim is a very well established procedure. It was first described in detail in the 1872 Mining Act and the Supreme Court has generously spent a lot of time defining just what Congress meant when they required perfected claims to complete your mineral grant work.

I'll lay out the basics here but the longer version will have to wait until I have time to complete an article I'm working on to answer that question in the detail it deserves.

Basics:

Make a properly staked location on a potentially valuable mineral deposit on public lands open to entry.

Record that Location into the public record within 90 days (time and place varies by state).

File a copy of the location with the State BLM office within 90 days and pay fees so they will establish a case file and number for their files.

Perform annual work and make a public record of that work annually.

Make an annual filing and pay fees to BLM State office annually.

Prove, and document the proof, that a valuable mineral deposit exists at the location you have made.

The rules for doing the above properly:

1872 Mining Act & previous

Prudent Man Rule (Chrisman v. Miller)

Marketability Rule (U.S. v. Coleman)

I hope that helps?

Edited by clay