Nugget Shooter Forums
TomH

tendonitis pick

As you know, as we mature, we tend to pick up little aches and pains along the way.

Well, lucky me, I have tendonitis in my right arm.

One night a co worker (who has it also) and I are talking about how not to use our arms.

We started brainstorming how I could hold the pick without it hurting.

Came up with this. I did a ops check on it today and it works great.

A little odd to get used to but I can pick away and my arm doesn't hurt.
Patent pending #449838233300-8 smile.png
Tom H.

post-25308-0-98213000-1411332480_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hey, that's pretty nifty.

I can see how it changes up the grip ,stability of the wrist and everything else downstream.

Edited by weaver hillbille

Well sony boy why don't you just move right into a "burro" pick instead of that full size Hermit ?????

Hey Tom.

Where did you hide the power supply and ON/OFF switch?

Patrick

I thought you had pop do all the digging? Is this for him? ;-)

I thought you had pop do all the digging? Is this for him? ;-)

ARG....NO!!...sometimes I do some digging :P

Pat, On Off switch ....just depends on how hot it is outside :)

Frank: Then I have to scoop twice as much....this works, im slowly healing up :)

Thanks Hillbilly...it really does make a big difference the way you hold the pick as to how it affects your arm/elbow.

This old age stuff is for the birds!!!!!

Tom H.

Funny you should post this Tom. I am currently out of work because of tendon damage in my right elbow...maybe something like that would help.

Dave:
Get a tendonitis strap for your elbow. They really help to alleviate the pain.

Use your other arm.

Just got to take it easy on it and let it heal up.

Tom H.

• Like 2

I'm dealing with this now from digging holes in the wet sand! If I would just give it enough time ... ice, light massage, rest ... then it would heal but I get the urge and ... even my billiard cue is too heavy for me after an hour ... my elbow on the arm of this chair ...

I've ordered an elbow ice pack but I'm afraid that everything that I have read said I need to be careful for at least a month for it to really heal.

Mitchel

Dave:

Get a tendonitis strap for your elbow. They really help to alleviate the pain.

Use your other arm.

Just got to take it easy on it and let it heal up.

Tom H.

Thanks Tom, got a brace thingy. Trying to let it heal best I can. :grr01:

I use the braces when working all the time. I had to have BOTH elbows rebuilt from excessive wear. Took them lousy shots for a year and all they did was kill the muscle,tendons and such. Funny how docs change their tune once your totally in trouble...even the ones poking you. $50k for the 2 and 1 1/2 years of physical therapy to finally get'm back. BUT must still wear braces on elbows/wrists when doing any labor or else back into that pit of excrucuating pain and frustration. Gettn' old ain't for the squeamish,but o so much fun gettn' here :D John

John,

You must have had it bad. I think I paid $110-130 for a shot in my right elbow and here I am pain free for the last 7 years. Maybe doctors in Texas are better....lol

Great idea, I can see how that would help a lot. Would you like a new pick to try it out on?

Great idea, I can see how that would help a lot. Would you like a new pick to try it out on?

Thanks Bunk, im good. This is my lucky pick...cant get rid of it!

Tom

I just got married instead. she likes digging up the nuggets.I like finding them,works for me.

or maybe she's a gold digger? AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

I just got married instead. she likes digging up the nuggets.I like finding them,works for me.

or maybe she's a gold digger? AzNuggetBob

Ok just kidding, Tom as you know I have been hunting for many years and as you know I hunt or swing with my right arm.

and I almost always carry my pick and dig with my left arm. Ive had a problem with my left elbow for the last 6-8 years.

Im sure it has to do with digging with a pick for so many years. I realy think it has to do with impact digging hard ground for years. Will your pick help? but I have to say I like the fact your considering and working on new options.

AzNuggetBob

You do NOT want this X 2 for gods sake......... :2mo5pow:

post-23710-0-84758400-1411481063_thumb.j

Any surgery sucks dialated donkey dicks fer sure if I had it to do all over I never would have . :old::old::old:

The guy that wrote the book, "Zip Zip" Larry Salee used a pick that he utilized with one arm, which had a elbow rest, and a strap to hold the thing in place. He used it very successfully in his White's Goldmaster videos.

Trying to use a pick one handed is asking for trouble, as we have (mostly) found. Such elbow injuries take months to heal, sometimes never. If I have much pick work to do, I set my detector down, and get to the picking.

Great idea!

Gary/ Largo

Ill tell ya guys in the early days I was using a steel handled pick, got tired of breaking them.

ya back in the day.

A few years ago when I was heavy into carbon fiber I thought why not? well we did a lot of testing

and found out that yes its strong and light but it transfers shock almost like steel and fiberglass.

So I think Toms idea may help by changing the dynamics but if you are useing a pick with anything other than a wood handle, pad it.

AzNuggetbob

having hung drywall for twenty years and played racquet ball for many of 40 years...I do get a pain or two.

Often times the pain is from how you grip the handle as well as the vibration.

The round handle of many picks does not help with a correct grip...a handle like a sledge hammer has is better for fitting the hand...wrapping the handle with something like used on racquets is a great vibration reducer and grip increaser...

wearing work gloves will also reduce the strain and increase the grip...

It often amazes me that strongly handed people cannot comphrehend switching sides...if nothing else it is a good brain exercise...

fred

• Like 1

Fred it doesn't make much sence to me to screw up both elbows? AzNuggetBob

The damage has nothing to do with switching at all. It's called accumlated damages from 56+ years of hard mining,working,remodeling homes etc etc. Like the doc said,just plain worn out. Nothing lasts forever in our bodies and youth is fleeting and the piper must be paid sooner or later but what a fun ride :thumbsupanim would never want to change a thing....well maybe a couple a them wives coulda been skipped :4chsmu1: John