Nugget Shooter Forums

Using the SDC 2300 together with a dry washer

Reno Chris

So I have been working an area in California with my Minelab SDC 2300 and found a couple patches with lots of smaller nuggets - an area perfect for the SDC 2300. I have posted some of this gold previously, but I am continuing to find more and wanted to give an update. I was also thinking about how much smaller sized gold was also here in these patches that even the SDC could not see. So I took my dry washer out to the spots where I was getting the majority of the gold pictured in this thread, and in a few days time dry washing, I got 16 more grams (a little more than 10 pennyweight), plus a few more with the metal detector, and the SDC proved to be the perfect machine to use in combination with the dry washer. I used it to outline the spots were the gold was concentrated, and keep myself in the richer gravels once I had dug a good hole.

So now my running total for this area in the last few weeks as I have had time to get out there is 113 detected nuggets for 20 grams (13 dwt), together with the 16 grams from dry washing giving a combined total of 1.15 ounces. I spent 90% of my time this last trip on dry washing.

Some of nuggets included with the DW stuff could easily have been heard with the SDC, but I am digging up places with depths from 6 inches up to about 18 inches max, and some of it was just deeper than could be heard without removing the gravel material first, and after digging, it was just easier to put it all in the dry washer. The DW stuff is on the left, the detected nuggets on the right.I did check my tailings and my dig hole with the SDC.

The gold is still out there to be found - all of this was found within a couple hundred yards of where I am parking my car. You just have to be looking in the right spot.

post-187-0-76341600-1410978163_thumb.jpg

Holy Smokes Chris!

That's awesome .

Glad your over it....GL to ya and get some more.
Even better that its so close to where you park :)

Tom H.

Hi Chris Nice :thumbsupanim Glad to see your new toy is working out for you-good going :head: Mike C... :200:

That's some fine fossicking work Chris. Seems like the SDC is filling the gap between the 5000 and the drywasher.

Nice to have new tools to go with your hard earned skills. :thumbsupanim

Doubling down is the only way to go when possible. When there is water I run all associated gravels through a sluicebox to get them fines. Sometimes I end up with more fines than nuggets,but not picky I'll take it anyway I can get it as prices fall. Great finds, kudos as process and procedure once again triumph over trophy hunting- :thumbsupanim John

Great little patch.......far to many people here in the CA Motherlode area have never even seen a drywasher

Hey Chris, if you were to screen the DW fines, what would you guess the smallest would be, 40 mesh? 80 mesh?

From the photo's they look mostly 20 mesh and bigger.

You sorta gave me an idea, dangerous as that might be, that there's an alt method for reworking some places off the gold maps.

Hey I'm back East and prospect over everyone's shoulders on the forum.Everytime I get on the forum, someone like you get's the fever going again. :)

Thanks Wyndham

So I have been working an area in California with my Minelab SDC 2300 and found a couple patches with lots of smaller nuggets - an area perfect for the SDC 2300. I have posted some of this gold previously, but I am continuing to find more and wanted to give an update. I was also thinking about how much smaller sized gold was also here in these patches that even the SDC could not see. So I took my dry washer out to the spots where I was getting the majority of the gold pictured in this thread, and in a few days time dry washing, I got 16 more grams (a little more than 10 pennyweight), plus a few more with the metal detector, and the SDC proved to be the perfect machine to use in combination with the dry washer. I used it to outline the spots were the gold was concentrated, and keep myself in the richer gravels once I had dug a good hole.

So now my running total for this area in the last few weeks as I have had time to get out there is 113 detected nuggets for 20 grams (13 dwt), together with the 16 grams from dry washing giving a combined total of 1.15 ounces. I spent 90% of my time this last trip on dry washing.

Some of nuggets included with the DW stuff could easily have been heard with the SDC, but I am digging up places with depths from 6 inches up to about 18 inches max, and some of it was just deeper than could be heard without removing the gravel material first, and after digging, it was just easier to put it all in the dry washer. The DW stuff is on the left, the detected nuggets on the right.I did check my tailings and my dig hole with the SDC.

The gold is still out there to be found - all of this was found within a couple hundred yards of where I am parking my car. You just have to be looking in the right spot.

Just for chits and Grins are you going over your dry washer spill with the detector?

Yes he did Homie.

Very nice Chris! Going to be giving the SDC 2300 a go myself soon and LSD is a perfect spot to give it a try. Lots of the smaller nuggets in the area and should be interesting. Rob Allison has been doing very well with one as well in some old patches he has returned to as of late too.

Sounds great, Bill. Looking forward to seeing your results. I think you will be very impressed with the SDC 2300. When I first heard of it I was kind of doubtful, but once I had used it for a while, I was extremely impressed. It almost never falses, it just ignores most hot ground and hot rocks and is amazingly hot on small gold.

Archived