Nugget Shooter Forums

this almost hit me aug 10 2014

I was at home . It struck a garbage can less than 2 feet from me in the direction i was moving and bounced across driveway until it hit my shed. Small light stone. I thought someone threw it at first. No one around. Upon examination Small light stone. A little investigating led me to a possible condrite id. ???

It is a very light stone and given its physical limitations to carry momentum in any direction but down i find it curious to have intersected my position with the speed it did. resembling so closely at least a couple pics of carbonitious condrites. From what my investigations have provided to my own skepticism there are completely different variables for light objects entering atmosphere meandering downward like a feather. Please brainstorm this with me.

Doesn't look anything like a meteorite I'm afraid, least of all a freshly fallen one. Someone probably threw a rock at you.

And the least you could do would be to spell chondrules correctly.

Edited by Mikestang

Just my :m2c: , If it was a meteorite, and It struck a garbage can less than 2 feet from you, considering it fell from outer space, I think it would of punctured the garbage can. I suggest u send it off to a university that study's meteorites to get a positive ID on the specimen.

I have put in alot of time investigating types os stony meteorites to compare this to. Only because i know what i saw. And i have collected rocks my whole life and for this to be so out of place here in michigan usa while so closely resembling rare confirmed meteorites has my resolve primed. No fusion crust on this type of stone is simply because it was ejected after burning occured. Packed with chondrules and it could have been a chondrule itself in larger stone. I see carbonaceous chondrites of l3 l4 and l6 classifications with similar looks. Each one of those was the first of its kind. Awesome! I will see this through despite immature discouragements. Spelling defisiencies have never inhibited me and i apolojise if they complicate your ability to understand me.

while so closely resembling rare confirmed meteorites has my resolve primed. No fusion crust on this type of stone is simply because it was ejected after burning occured. Packed with chondrules and it could have been a chondrule itself in larger stone.

In my opinion it bears no resemblance to any type of meteorite at all. It does look like several terrestrial rocks I've come across. I can see what you think you're seeing, but I'm pretty sure you're not seeing what you thing you're seeing.

Your bit about "ejected after burning occurred" is hog wash, I invite you to read up and become more familiar with atmospheric entry dynamics before you make further statements like that, it doesn't help strengthen your cause any.

What is a "carbonaceous chondrites of l3 l4 and l6 classification" please? I've never heard of them, if you could share a link that would be great.

It could not "have been a chondrule", that statement again illustrates your lack of understanding of and familiarity with this subject matter. While I appreciate your enthusiasm, you asked for ID assistance and 100% of the responses here have been that it is certainly, without a doubt, not a meteorite. Keep on looking, friend.

My guess is it's either rhyolite, granite, diabase, or maybe a gabbro.

P.S. Not knowing how to spell chondrule didn't make me not understand you, but if you can't spell it how much faith should I have that you'd know, through your own research and experience, what one looks like? Just sayin'.

Edited by Mikestang