Nugget Shooter Forums

Sitting in the hospital

azdigger

Well had to go to the ER on wed. Seemed I have a open sore that would not heal.

Once I got there m I was told I have type 2 diabetes , high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Now it looks like 2 or 3 weeks of IV antibiotics. What I thought would be a few hours turned into a lot longer. Not fun , now I have to learn to check blood and insulin shots...

Take care Rick. And do what they tell you.

Patrick

Hey Rick

Diabetic denial is the worst part of that and not finding a good endocrinologist. I messed around with a GP for years and never took it seriously nor did he. I screwed around so long that now I have no feeling in my feet at all but I'm on top of it now. Finally got in touch with my wifes endo and things are much better.

I'm a insulin dependent type 2. Started out with novolog flexpen and sticking my fingers every 3 hours all day. The pens are fairly convenient and I just carried everything in a small fanny pack that clipped onto a belt loop. Had a chance to move up to an insulin pump but if I didn't have good insurance I wouldn't have it.

Now this http://www.dexcom.com/dexcom-g4-platinum I tried for awhile and I'm thinking of going back to it and the flexpen. This thing continuously monitors your blood sugar and you take your insulin as needed.

I'll see at Bills outing and chat with you about things.

Greg

Rick,sorry to hear about your problem. Type 2 diabetes is most often treated with diet,

and medications such as met-formin. Insulin is not used much for treatment of type 2,

except in certain cases. Before you start injecting insulin ,get a second opinion,and more

tests. The metformin and other drugs can have some nasty side effects too.

Glucose checking is not all that tough,but you do need to monitor it. I test my wife's glucose

levels every day. Anyway if you have any questions,just shoot me a PM,and I hope that you

recover soon,and do just great. :yesss: P.S. don't pinch the nurse. :200:

Dood!
Glad you caught it at this stage.

Just do what the Doc. tells you and heal up!
Take care of yourself...theres a lot of gold out there for you

to find :)
Tom H.

My wife and I are both diabetics, she takes a Humilog and lantis, 4 times a day, her sugar is uncontrolled, and runs in the 400 to 600 range constantly, mine I just take pills, and it runs around 170 most times, its not fun. Good luck getting it under control. Grubstake

Yeh, me to! Screw them, I'm 65 and I'm going to live my life the way I want, bad heart, I smoke like a freight train, eat what I want. Drs. told me I'll be dead in the next 5 years anyway. Grubstake

Rick

One of the forums I hang out on for diabetes. http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/

Lots of info and lots of ideas on how to control it.

I did the metformin for a number of years but my pancreas just got to a point where it doesn't produce much insulin at all. Counting carbs is something you will need to learn. For me if I wanted to drink a 20 ounce coke I would need 12 units of insulin. When you start looking at how much you have to take you start looking at other things to eat or drink. My pump holds 300 units and gets changed every 3 days. So it gets to be a game to see if you can keep your numbers down and make it 4 days between changes.

Greg

Right now I am waiting to talk to the folks downstairs... got to see about payments...no insurance but medicair. Now we see what they say. Scares me , did not think I would get sick.

Hi Rick,

So sorry to hear about your health problems. I just went through the same thing. Type 1 Diabetes I now have. My Pancreas had enough and quit. I take a Novo-Rapid shot every time I decide to eat something, then at night, I have to take a shot of Lantus to keep my sugar levels steady while I sleep. I thought it was something I did wrong, or wasn't eating health enough, but... not the case at all. It's no one's fault or what you ate or didn't eat. It just happens to some people. It's more likely to happen to you if you have family members that have diabetes. Hopefully, during your stay at the hospital, they will teach you all you need to know about controlling your sugar, and counting your carbs intake. I wish I could tell you that it's easy, but, at the beginning it's extremely overwhelming. ( for me, it was ) Once you get the hang of it, it's not so terrible. If you would like to talk to someone that is also New to diabetes, just PM me. I'd be more that happy to chat, and make a new friend. :4chsmu1: So, Keep Calm and Pan On.... :action-smiley-068[1]:

Rider

My great mining bud Bod D. lost his leg to diabetes and last week got a internal infection in the &^%$ stump. Spread like wilfire and them ungodly sores all over. 4 days in the hospital/iv meds and one heck of a close call. He's gettn' to your point Grubstake--after 2 heart ops(chest cracked) knee,shoulder replacement,2 stents,wrist rebuilt,foot they cut off had a rebuild also. Gettn' old ain't ez man- :idunno: John

Rick ... sorry to hear all the med stuff. My girlfriend has type 2 and is one of the lucky ones that can take the pills ... However she does have to control her carb intake. The good thing about it is she is actually eating better now ... HINT: Stay away from ALL GMO foods ... GMO for those who aren't aware are genetically modified organisms ... aka foods ... such as most all commercially available corn and soy products thanks to the research of Monsanto ... they designed all or most of that crap ... We avoid anything Monsanto now ... even the lawn/garden/household pest chemicals we used to use. We search out the organic farms locally when in season and spend an hour or two each weekend at farmer's markets ... pay a little more for the stuff but you know the source and for the most part it is fresher than you can buy in the stores ... even stores like 'Sprouts' and 'Whole Foods'.

Anyway I would suggest getting a good carb counter program for your cell phone ... makes it easy to remember what and when you ate how much. life doesn't have to be painful when it comes to food choices with diabetes it is just a little more important to be detailed and informed. Take care and good luck.

Mike F

Great news , blood sugar was 169 this evening , it had been over 200.

This needs to continue. The staff said my blood had been over 200 for at least 3 months and I had no idea.

YeeHaa! :)
Glad to hear you getting good news.

Heal up man.
Tom H.