Nugget Shooter Forums

Porta-Potty Ideas For Small Goups???

Micro Nugget

The Forest Service and (to a somewhat lesser extent) BLM are always pretty keen about public lands users taking proper care of bodily excretions. In many places this can be accomplished either by using the head and holding tank of an RV or by renting a commercial Porta-Potty. However, there are some places that an RV cannot access and commercial Porta-Potty services do not serve. Has anyone come across a DIY project for a porta-potty that is large enough to handle several people, but small enough to be taken into, and removed from, remote areas? If you want to include some ladies in remote prospecting areas this would be an especially nice feature. What I have in mind is something that affords at least a minimum of privacy (but won't blow over very easily), something to sit on and something to hold the excretions with a minimum of odor and mess, and something that can be carted out for dumping at an RV dump station afterwards. Any ideas, references or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

The best I can come up with is something like this camping toilet, the holding tank is removable and seal-able, the only problem is that you would need several of the holding tanks for an outing of any size/timespan.

http://truckandwinch.com/5-gallon-flushable-portable-outdoor-camping-toilet-with-removable-holding-tank.html

Another option would be something like this "Bucket Potty", having several buckets with good snap on lids, changing and sealing the bucket for an empty bucket when necessary.

http://www.safetycentral.com/porun.html

Solution is as close as local Wally World camping aisle to source kitty litter, pine shavings( so ya gotta go over to pet dept...), porta potty and a privacy tent to contain it.

WOrk arounds( cheaper solutions) should not leave out the shavings ,kitty litter and buckets for "storage". Without these items, control over the smell from the honey buckets( don't forget lids!) would be overpowering.

The real trick is to get the ladies to NOT pee in it- just the other stuff. Liquids just weigh down/tax the system.

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1

Mine is a potty and a hot shower or cold in accordance to barrel color. PVC pipe frame,using a handicapped port a potty chair(sturdy not like walmart garbage) from the Salvation army,few buck and a tarp and you 2 can be clean and eliminated. Only takes 5 minutes to assemble as the 4 poles(corner pipes)not glued :old: John

post-23710-0-40465100-1410181606_thumb.j

I used to live on the Zuni mountains in northern New Mexico with my step dad, mother and my older brother. My step dad was kind of whacked and he had it in his mind we were going to go up there and build our own house using stuff off the mountain. While we were building the place we all lived in tents up there. We camped under a huge ponderosa, that had a massive claw streak on it where a bear had raked its claws down the tree. I swear that claw mark was over ten feet in that tree and almost a foot wide. Me and my brother decided that it must've happened when the tree was young and that the marks expanded as the tree grew. Otherwise it wouldve been a bear of mythical size. Keep in mind there was no one else living up there, we were literally up in the mountains. No people near for many many miles. One night we were having oats by the fire. I remember hearing a lot of movement and animals around us. It was the wild horses on the mountain and they wanted some oats! There was a bunch of wild horses around our camp, stamping and snorting! I was only about 6 or 7 and it scared me pretty bad. They were just outside the fire in the dark so you barely saw them, just heard them making a heck of a commotion. We were up there for about 6 or 7 months before winter hit and my stepdad decided to give up. Somewhere up there is a nice foundation made of native rocks and quikrete, it's about four feet high and 30 ft square. Maybe one day I'll go look for it and try to finish it! Anyway, back to the topic, we had to make a place to use the bathroom. We dug a pretty deep hole, four or five foot deep. Then used boards to cover the hole so that a bucket would sit on top of the hole. You can cut a "fun noodle" to fit around the bucket rim and it's pretty dang comfy. We kept a sealed bucket of lime next to the hole. Anytime you used it you just sprinkled a little bit of lime down in the hole afterwards. I don't remember smell ever being an issue but I do know we specifically made that hole a good ways from camp. I remember we would be working on the house, me, my step dad, and brother. The bathroom was down the hill just a ways in a thick grove of trees. Whenever someone would take a bathroom break, the other two guys would stand up on the hill and chuck rocks down into the grove of trees. It's amazing no one ever got hurt or nailed with a rock, but at the time we thought that was the height of hilarity.

Edited by Caliche Chris

A five gallon bucket and snap-on toilet seat will accommodate two people for several days...IF...only solid waste goes in...

This is my method; the bucket is lined with a good quality plastic trash bag, some light weight kitty litter is tossed in, after use more kitty litter is tossed in...etc. The bags can be removed and double bagged then disposed of in town.

Or, dig a good hole burn some wood to coals then burn the bag/waste adding more wood to fully incinerate, then bury the hole...

This is not workable for back packing but is fine for other areas when remote camping...If the lady must pee in a civilized manner get another bucket for that and empty it in a hole near a tree or bush-the plant will thank you.

CC...you reminded me of our drywalling sport of throwing chunks of sheetrock at the honeypot just after some poor soul would get comfy...great fun!!! for us not them.

fred

Hoser's reference to the thrift store handicapped potty chair reminds me of when Bob Dunkin and I used that very same device with a 5 gallon bucket. Only we used desert dirt to cover the "droppings". One day Denny happened by at precisely the perfectly premature and WRONG time to happen by. Old Bob had just gotten his wobbly 300 pound body up from the seat leaving just enough space for Denny to get a glance. OMG. Denny did a near backflip when he recoiled at the sight and smell of that monster. I can't exactly recall what Denny quipped when Bob started explaining how our rig worked, but it was a real zinger that left Bob laughing and nearly unable to hitch his jeans back up. Back on point, Hoser is totally correct about the "Walmart garbage" that almost always can be depended upon to collapse at the worst moment and leave the "s_itter" spitting tacks and cursing cheap plastic while wallowing in disgusting miseries.

• Like 2

HIking Whitney- a bear vault for your food and one for your "stuff', as I think that's just as attractive.

Personally, I'd be tempted to break that rule, but the area is so heavily impacted that it's difficult to find privacy, for one, as well as somewhere to dig a cat hole without finding "stuff".

If you read the book UP CRAP CREEK(a must read) about white water float trips into the wild and scenic places, where EVERYTHING that was not there prior to arrival has to be hauled out including your Poo. They talk about the Groover which is a 50 Cal. ammo can that has a seal tight lid lined with black plastic bags which are tied shut when partially filled and set back in the raft.

It is called the groover because of the lines or grooves that it leaves on your hiney

This book is a hoot and has a sequel called HOW TO CRAP IN THE WOODS.

I see the computer took the word Sh++ and converted it to crap :idunno:

post-227-0-70214800-1410829366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Allen in MT

Everyone had there turn, mine was a week straight, then I did not have to anymore. But Some of the stuff I had to do over there, was not much better. Can you say: Amebic disentary, Whole squad got it for about 30 days, we were out, if you walked you crapped, if you sit down you crapped, for that matter if you cleared your throat you crapped. Boy the stuff that went on over there, what stories. Grubstake

Don't pay any attention to my spelling. I need new glasse's bad, but they are a month out at the VA.

Edited by grubstake

DOUBLE LIne the bucket w/ kitchen garbage bags. After each use ,add kitty litter, some shavings and it can be usedagain almost odor free, or have each user deposit their bag in a centralized bucket.

This keeps the doody bucket almost odor free for each user. Don't forget to put a new bag in!

Tons of buckets at bakery's/restaurants for nothing.

Another option would be something like this "Bucket Potty", having several buckets with good snap on lids, changing and sealing the bucket for an empty bucket when necessary.

http://www.safetycentral.com/porun.html

• 1 month later...

Google toilet paper, kitty litter, baby wipes, and 13 gallon kitchen garbage bags :4chsmu1: with a little native soil thrown in for good measure.

And free buckets from the local restaurant or bakery