Nugget Shooter Forums

How come we American no longer have Real Food?

homefire

Just out of curiosity? Has any of you lived overseas? Had Real Food. Ya know when Bacon is Real Bacon? Real Smoked, Real Dried and Real Salted.?? Doesn't come in a Cryovac Pack been Pressurized loaded with water.?? Bacon is not Wet. Ham Is Not Wet. Definitely not floating in a bag of water. Have you ever cooked a Pork Butt cured as Bacon with Potato's and Cabbage? A bit of Onion is good. God, I miss the days! Did you know there is a type of Bacon made the same way with Beef? It's called Rasshers. Yummy chit.

I've asked for it and the butcher just looks at me Like I'm a Wacko.

LOL! Most people in America have NO Idea Cheddar Cheese is NOT OREANGE. It's White. A glass of whole milk is a Meal and fills you up. Real Bacon is not a little bit of red meat on a slab of fat. It's a Slab of Meat with a Little strip of Fat. My Mom use to call what we get Salt Pork. If you can make Jerky you can make Bacon and Ham. Hams take a long time to dry. Operative Word DRY!!!!!!! Not soaked in Smoke Flavored Water Stuff.

The stuff they sell you now days will go south in a day or so. Real Ham and Bacon can last up to a year or so un refrigerated.

We have a "meat store" up the road about 35 miles, that's all they do is meat, you can get anything you want there, even real bacon, a side of beef you name they sell it, and for a much better price than the chain grocery stores that sell "processed meat"!!

It's a pain to have to drive 70 miles round trip to get a good product and we don't do so too often, but if we have other reasons to go up that way we make a point to go there and stock up.

They even have a special section where they only deal with game, they don't sell wild game it's only for butchering customer's wild game, deer, hogs, etc. for a small fee, you can also bring domestic stock in to be butchered.

Homefire....to answer your question... YES....

Did you know that the European Union requires labels on GMO foods,most eastern european countries prohibit it, but our Corporate Monsanto and others firms based in the U.S,. are using aggressive tactics to push it down their throats . There are things sold as food in the U.S. that some western countries prohibit as they are full of cancer causing chemicals....I could go on. The FDA has less inspectors today than they did 20 years ago. And the FDA has failed the American people...as they have been lobbied to death by the Corporate Food machine to allow many chemicals, hormones into our food supply know to be unhealthy. But we do live longer :) because the Drug companies have created drugs to sustain our health because of the crap we eat. So one Corporation is killin us the other keeps us alive just long enough to get our hard earned cash we worked all our life for, go figure. So you either buy healthy foods and pay more, or you grow a garden....which is what we do. It's all about the money and not about you.....

Edited by Relichunter2

Food do-gooders have ruined American food.

I love cheese-- but the only thing worse than cheeses in the US are cheeses in Brasil-- I'm cursed.

I do miss wild game. Turkey, deer and fresh fish.

The beef here is grass feed not feed lot but they do not age it. For that reason the there really is no such thing as a steak.

I used to go by a store in the Ga mountains that sold fresh milk--- mark "use for animals ( pets) only--- wink, good stuff.

Homey I guess your butcher knows you pretty well. :ROFL:

Mac don't know what kind of cheese your looking for. I only buy Cheddar, had some about 1/2 hr ago. Then there's the cow cheese fresh off the farms. That's the stuff that goes into the cheese bread. ( Pao de caju).

I have a butcher two blocks from my house that takes good care of me. He is a one man operation and gets any meat I want. At times I'll have to wait until the next day.

Then there's the Sun. food fair where all the veggies and some meat is sold that comes right off the farms. Good stuff.

MacGump,

Real milk.....yum....I remember my grandmother milking the cows...and we would heat it up on the stove....the cream would come to the top...very tasty. Now they pasturize everything..even almonds in Clifornia to kill any possible salemonela bacteria...which kills the good stuff your eating the almonds for. But than again maybe that's what vitamins are for....lol. And the chickens we slaughtered....darn taste buggers....tastedlike chicken, not these Costco Steroid Amazonian Chickens they sell, meats all white and has no taste....what the hecks with that.....??? Okey, sorry I am ranting.... :)

Edited by Relichunter2

Homey I guess your butcher knows you pretty well. :ROFL:

Mac don't know what kind of cheese your looking for. I only buy Cheddar, had some about 1/2 hr ago. Then there's the cow cheese fresh off the farms. That's the stuff that goes into the cheese bread. ( Pao de caju).

I have a butcher two blocks from my house that takes good care of me. He is a one man operation and gets any meat I want. At times I'll have to wait until the next day.

Then there's the Sun. food fair where all the veggies and some meat is sold that comes right off the farms. Good stuff.

The fresh cheese here is ok. Some of the mozzarella is ok, but hard to find low moisture mozzarella for cooking.

I like a lot of European cheese--- Brie, Blue, Swiss, and some of the others. Just can't get it here.

I've developed a good relationship with my butcher. I can get some cuts he doesn't normally do.

My wife has a cousin that I can get a goat from on occasion. And as you know--- the little gators are plentiful if you dare get close enough to cluber one....

I try not to buy pork anymore due to CAFO's( confined animal feedlot operation) lack of hygeine and crazy feed recipes they are using.

Supposedly, this past year they've had a big problem with a new virus that's hitting piglets really hard Get this- they feed pork blood from the slaughterhouse in the piglet ration( where's the vampire/cannibal smilie?). That's not theonly part of the ration , but a big part. I'm sure the're a furor over it and recalls, but since I don't raise pork or eat it much anymore, I haven't stayed up to date.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS427&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=piglet%20virus%20pork%20blood

If I could raise my own pork, I would, or buy pastured pork.

Raise most of our own veggies /fruits:several hundred pounds mas o menos ( each)of POmegranates, tangerines, oranges, eggplant, tomatoes

A glass of whole milk is a Meal and fills you up.

Yessir!. THere's a raw milk, pastured cow/organic dairy inthe Central VAlley called Organic Pastures.

THeir raw whole milk is to die for( and rigorously tested). It's one of the cleanest dairies in the Country. THe amount of hoops that they have to jump through ,compared to your standard type of CAFO dairy, is incredible.

http://www.organicpastures.com/our-dairy/

Edited by weaver hillbille

All I can add here is when the chit hits the proverbial fan ... and it will at some point ... you better know how to grow your own ... or buddy up with someone who does ... or you will starve! I'm not a prepper in the traditional manner but I have developed skills that will at some point be lifesaving for me and family. Self sufficiency will become important again in the not to distant future ... Monsanto will insure it as they are killing all our basic foods with their damned GMO seeds and a greater need for stronger pesticides as a result.

Homey, I hear ya.....I make my own bacon, it is darn easy but you have to have a good low temp smoker and a source for pork bellies. Store bought stuff doesn't even come close, and cost a bunch more. We have chickens for fresh eggs and Dee makes goat milk cheddar cheese, but we still do buy the good white stuff too.......