Nugget Shooter Forums

I'm a novice rock collector and I have quite a few rocks that I would like to know more about. I hope someone can help. I'm new to your forum and Thanks, in advance, for any information you can share with me. :D

This rock I found near a stream in B.C., Canada, near Jasper.. just sitting there, sparkling, begging me to pick it up, and so I did. The pictures don't do it justice. The sparkles fall off every time I handle it. It weighs 22 grams. It's about 2.5" X 1" by 1/4" thick. It also has a lot of black specks in it. Anyone have any ideas to what type rock this is ? post-27330-0-08912200-1409646630_thumb.jpost-27330-0-02644300-1409646682_thumb.jpost-27330-0-54570000-1409646723_thumb.jpost-27330-0-16420000-1409646756_thumb.jpost-27330-0-07400400-1409646788_thumb.j

Leaverite as in leave r right there. Mica falln' like rain is not a keeper,never give up. Get a knife,nail or any iron object-ifn' it cracks,crumbles or goes crunch under pressure it ain't gold,which is malable-John

Hi and welcome to the forum! OK this one looks like it has Mica (sparkles) as well as Feldspar (black) in Metamorphic host rock. Fairly common and always catches the eye. My yard is full of such specimens of Leaverite as John called it as I can't resist picking them up either

Leaverite... HAHA !! Funny :4chsmu1:

Thanks John for giving me a chuckle. I knew it wasn't gold, and now I know it's Mica that makes it sparkle. I'm still going to keep it cause it pleases my eyes. Thanks for the info. It's always a successful day when a person is able to learn something new. :) May I post more rocks ? And if so, should I continue on this topic ?

Thanks again !

Thanks Bill Southern for the welcome, I'm happy to be here. :D And Thank You for your information. Seems like my rock was too easy to figure out. I thought it may have been pyrite, but how would I know....I'm just a Fool . ( pun )

Thanks again !

Edited by Rider

Rider,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you as a member, yes please post as much as you like, that is what this forum is for, you can start another topic or continue on this one, your choice.

If you ever do find a rock that has gold in it, the gold will look much the same in bright sunlight as it will in the shade, while looking at it in sunlight, shade it with your hand and you shouldn't see much if any difference, most all other minerals will look different in the same conditions, gold has a special glow all it's own.

Skip

Rider,

I did a little research if you're interested in trying to find some gold in Alberta, here's what I found doing a quick search, I can't attest to the accuracy of the info found, but hopefully it's somewhat accurate.

http://goldminingandprospecting.blogspot.com/2011/11/gold-occurrences-in-alberta.html

"Although there are over 200 reported instances of lode gold occurring in Alberta there are several places where it might be found. In the very northeast corner of Alberta is a small fragment of the Canadian Shield that might contain the right geology for the occurrence of gold. North of the 55 degree line is a mass of Paleozoic and Mesozoic sediments that have been intruded with volcanics, and are highly faulted and sheared from earth movements. These sediments are quite apt to contain gold. Another place where gold is apt to be found is in thetailings of the Athabasca Oil Sands.

The area underlain by the Precambrian rocks in northeastern Alberta has more then 200 known occurrences of gold. Some of these deposits produce the potential into being developed into significant mines. These deposits are mainly in sulfide hosted deposits with the gold being associated with other metals. Many of these deposits are found in hydrothermal veins associated with iron mineralization. Many of these deposits especially those found in the Athbasca basin were emplaced within the past 1.5 billion years. Many of these deposits are in Phanarozoic deposits especially those whose host rock is in black organic rich shale. Many of these deposits are to be found in the Alberta portion of the Rocky Mountains. There are many places where by sampling the soil it is possible to find anomalously high concentrations of gold. These anomalies indicate the possible presence of viable gold deposits lurking underground.

Alberta_tar_sands.jpg The Athabasca Tar Sands a possible source of placer gold.
Placer deposits in the province are found in rocks ranging from the Cretaceous to modern. A good place to look is in conglomerate, or in stream gravel. Deposits of fine placer gold are found along the Saskatchewan River as it flows through Edmonton. On warm lunch hours one can see executives with their pants rolled up panning for gold.
This kind of gold is usually found in fine particles that are known as flour gold. The color of this gold ranging from the pale yellow to a coppery red depending upon what other metals are alloyed with the gold. The yellowish specks of gold are alloyed with silver forming a compound called electrum. The reddish colored gold is alloyed with copper. Sometimes the gold that is discovered and placer deposits is coated with iron or manganese oxides that have to be removed with acid. Gold itself is not affected by any acid except act the region a mixture of nitric and hydrochloric acids. Fools gold differs from real gold because it is brittle and crushes easily.

There are several different river systems in the province that do contain placer gold among them are the North Saskatchewan, Red Deer, McLeod, Athabasca, and the peace River systems."

Poast away and most of us enjoy helping folks learn about both rocks and minerals as well as a bit of tongue in cheek at times.....

Thank you very much. I'm so glad I found you guys :thumbsupanim I think this will be a lot of fun !

Rider,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you as a member, yes please post as much as you like, that is what this forum is for, you can start another topic or continue on this one, your choice.

If you ever do find a rock that has gold in it, the gold will look much the same in bright sunlight as it will in the shade, while looking at it in sunlight, shade it with your hand and you shouldn't see much if any difference, most all other minerals will look different in the same conditions, gold has a special glow all it's own.

Skip

Thanks for the Welcome, and especially for all the info ! It just so happens that I live smack in the middle of those locations !

There are several different river systems in the province that do contain placer gold among them are the North Saskatchewan, Red Deer, McLeod, Athabasca, and the peace River systems."

What are the odds !! lol Guess I'll be gettin' busy.... :4chsmu1: Thanks again Au Seeker A.K.A. Skip :)

post-27330-0-03658300-1409696399_thumb.jpost-27330-0-82378300-1409696328_thumb.jpost-27330-0-34981500-1409696360_thumb.jpost-27330-0-85306500-1409696433_thumb.jpost-27330-0-90035300-1409696465_thumb.jpost-27330-0-25286000-1409696518_thumb.jpost-27330-0-84112800-1409696568_thumb.jpost-27330-0-01382400-1409696618_thumb.j

This is a real stumper for me. I actually found this while cleaning up the

yard at the house we just bought. It's heavy, 4.5 lbs. It's about the size of a large grapefruit. I can't help thinking that it may be a fossil. What do y'all think ?

Does a magnet stick to this rock?

If you have a "rare earth/super" magnet, it would be best for some minerals that are only slightly attracted to a magnet, (watch your fingers if using a rare earth magnet on mineral/s highly attracted to a magnet) a frig magnet is not the best choice for this test, but if that's all you have try with the strongest one you have.

Also rub the rock on a piece of unglazed ceramic/tile, the underside of coffee cup or the underside of a toilet tank lid works well, it should leave a colored "streak", let us know what color the streak is, this test is call a "streak test", most all minerals will leave a streak, which will often not be the same color as the rock/mineral is to your eye and sometimes it will be the same color, as with gold.

post-27330-0-57692900-1409725578_thumb.jpost-27330-0-37036500-1409725602_thumb.jpost-27330-0-82409100-1409725625_thumb.jOk.... The magnet test was a bust !! No hint of attraction at all.

The streak test worked, on the back of the toilet tank lid. (blushing) lol

The color is deep red, like dried blood, or Indian red.. or a dark brown..pictures attached.

So what does that all mean, and what would you like me to do next ? :)

Well that was so Awesome ! Thank you one and all for the Hematite Identification. I learned that it's a mineral, Iron Oxide. It's the Ore of Iron. Hematite gets it's name from a Greek word meaning "blood-like" because of the color of it's powder.

Azblackbird, thanks :) but credits goes to y'all. :) Thank you again. NOW, I have to choose another rock from my basket. lol.

( The first 2 days that I was here, everything worked, as in the font size, smiley's and such, but now they don't. Is there a way I can fix that ? )

( The first 2 days that I was here, everything worked, as in the font size, smiley's and such, but now they don't. Is there a way I can fix that ? )

Rider,

Sorry for the late reply, I was running late for work this morning and didn't have time to reply.

You have been member of the forum for 3 days now and you have already broken the forum!!!! :yikes::idunno::nono:

I'm just joking :ROFL::4chsmu1: , you must have accidentally clicked on the BB Code Mode icon on the toolbar of the reply box, which disables many options, it's the icon at the upper left of the reply box toolbar, if you hover over the icons the name of the icon will popup so you know you have selected the correct icon, click on it again and all should be well again, let me know if you still have any issues.