Nugget Shooter Forums

Today was a real tear jerk-er in our house. My best buddy and hunting partner of the last 10 years, Nugget had to get the big sleep today. 3 weeks ago he was a healthy and happy boy. It did not take long for cancer to consume his body and today we decided his pain and suffering were enough. Some here had the pleasure of his company, so I thought I would share....

post-1252-0-46001200-1409520467_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-56517100-1409520518_thumb.jp

..Sorry to hear about your lose...I can't imagine having such a trusted partner to go out on hunts, watching your back. I am sure they were incredible times and now memories. I learned the power of a dog when my father, a strong, hard working good man lost his dog Sharkie...who was always near his side on jobs...when Sharkie passed on my dad was on a trip to Arizona with friends and mom. Well we did not tell him on the phone , we waited until he came back...you can say he was moved....by the lose of his dog and bud. Take care El.....

Fred

Man, im sorry to hear that. It is a gut twister when you have to put a dog down. We have always had 4 dogs so it comes around more often then we want.

Having another one does help to ease the pain.

You did the right thing. When you start to see them suffer you have to do what is necessary. At least they go peacefully.

Hang in there.

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

Don't second guess yourself- we all do it thinking ," if only..................................." when the time comes.

Usually it's in response to remorse over a hasty reaction in times past, that in retrospect, could have been handled better.

...........or a better overall environment,, or food, or a different vet, or, ,, ......

YOu can't win the arguement against yourself ,if but only to say that you( or me, or any other person responsible for an animal) ,,you tried your best and he had a better life( and death) for your efforts.

Noone wants a lingering death and no amount of whipout can erase the inevitable.

NOt meaining to throw a wrench in here but I need a laugh...

My first dog died back in the 70's when his guts got tied up a bit from a , shall we say,a hygeine product for females..........

Loosing a dog to me is like losing my mom and dad ... one of the hardest things I have done in this world but also the kindest to that no holds barred love from the dog that they give freely and completely to us. My condolences Steve ... Nugget was a great dog!

Mike F

Ahhhh man that sucks. My condolences Steve. Nugget was a good dog. He's in a better place now. At least we don't have to watch them suffer like we do our human counterparts.

Wow Steve. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My words can't make you feel any better, but our condolences go out to you and Dee. Nugget was a great dog and you had many adventures with him. RIP Golden Nugget

Steve

The wife had to put my cat down while I was out prospecting and a month later we had to put her dog down so I know how you are feeling. We only have one left out of the original six from when we first met.

Greg

Just an FYI Steveā€¦ one thing we always do when we lose a pet is have them cremated, and then we either buy, or have an urn custom made that is an exact depiction of their likeness. After a brief service then they go into the china cabinet along with a few nice photos. Pets are family in our household, so doing all that just helps us remember them a little more.

I am very sad to hear of your loss. I feel that loosing my dog is worse than loosing my parents. But that is just me, but I certainly cried more and missed my dog more. It has to be the worst pain. I always have said that God made a huge mistake when he didn't make dog live as long as we do.

Sounds like you made the hard call and put him down. We treat our dogs better then we treat humans.

Dogs are always there and never talk back, always happy even when you are distraught, always waiting and always caring without thought as to who or what you are.....Ours are family members and I know your grief. I am sure I will be in your boots again when I lose one of mind. Our thoughts are with you.

Steve,

I agree with Adam. Working dogs develop a special bond that never makes you forget them.

In Dog Years he had a very good life and wouldn't trade the time with you for anyone. Those are good memories that can't be replaced and should not be but ...

Another one is in your future.

Mitchel

El D... I'm so sorry for your loss ...Pups are always there for you and will continue so in spirit after they've gone ... Keep your eyes open for a rescue pup after a few months of proper grief ... Dodie's and my condolences!!!! Unc

Said news indeed. Last dogs I had were all Goldens. After putting the last one down because of cancer I couldn't bring myself to get another.