Nugget Shooter Forums

Bought A 357

OK , I bought this on impulse and there was 4 others looking but I had it in my hand.

It is an RG57 .357 good shape , tight lock up , barrel and riffling very clean and sharp.

Any thoughts , only gave 210 for it.

post-779-0-10402500-1408880196_thumb.jpg

post-779-0-81215300-1408880234_thumb.jpg

post-779-0-28435700-1408880263_thumb.jpg

Edited by azdigger

Luv'm-my blackhawk has been a real life saver many times. Barrel a lil' short but still a very accurate weapon. Telfon impregnated biforcated wax coated mags make that thang rock like ya never seen :4chsmu1: John

I know nothing about the RG line of guns, other than a little research I did just before posting this reply, in the gun world RG guns are considered a "Saturday Night Special", e.g. "cheaply made", "cheap to buy", there are many complaints about the quality of the manufacture of these guns, but it's also said in the gun world "...any gun is better than no gun...", do a little internet research on RG guns and you'll see what I've read as well.

From what I have read just be careful if and when you have to shoot it and only shoot it when you have to, some of the complaints from users, lead blow back, may come apart or parts loosen with use, because of design, difficult to unload and reload (I didn't see this mentioned for the RG57 .357, but I did for almost all other calibers), etc., etc.

From what I read the RG company also stopped producing guns (at least for the USA) around 1986 due to low sales and new US Government Regulations.

Here's a link to a site that gives approximate gun values, you may have to register to get current prices, but without me registering it says that the "Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price" of the RG57 .357 is $210, but as mentioned above they are no longer made.

http://www.pooshka.com/gun-value.php?poo_model_id=7213

Hopefully the one you have purchased is solid, will work well, and give you no problems.

Hey Rick

I have one of those in 38 its one of the many 38's hidden around the house ready to use if needed.

Got it many years ago for work I did for a friend. Shot it when I first got it to make sure it worked and now it sits around waiting in case it is needed.

Greg

I bought this one on impulse, guy set it out (yard sale) I was first to pick it up, looked real good and other folks asking to see it , guy said take 210 for it , I never let it go....4 not happy folks that wanted it.

I did some research after I got it home , same stuff , some liked it some said it was trash.....thought I would ask for insight from friends on the forum.

Little trivia for the .357 ... The .357 125gr hollow point is the record holder in official law inforcement work for total number of knockdowns ... polite way of saying kills by a law enforcement officer. It was the standard round of choice for a very long time.

Mike F

I had a policy for a long time about no loaded firearms in the safe. I changed that policy awhile back and even have extra magazines for the ones that need them. Didn't make too much sense to have all the ammo in the other safe that was in another building.

Of course all the ones that are hidden around are ready to go.

Wife came from a family that doesn't own or like guns, now she owns three and carries one. I have the 38 revolvers around just so she can grab one if needed. Remind me not to upset her. :brows:

Greg ... I can see it now ... you two are arguing like cats and dogs over what all married folks do ... money ... and it comes to a head ... no one willing to give into the other ... she draws from the kitchen cupboard as you draw from the desk drawer ... :3ztzsjm::hide::pop:

Look at it this way ... WHEN you aren't arguing you and she have each others six! Be glad you taught her and she was willing to break family tradition to learn!

Mike F

Hey Mike

Good thing the 45 I carry is next to my chair so I have a little more fire power.

Sometimes I wonder if buying her guns and teaching her to shoot was a good thing.

Just don't teach her about crime scene forensics--- then you will be sleeping with one eye open.

Just don't teach her about crime scene forensics--- then you will be sleeping with one eye open.

She already watches all those shows and it keeps me on my toes.

Mike I'm trying to get her to pose for a christmas card with macthing AR's and pistols that should push her parents over the edge.